FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,356 of 3,173
So I’ve had my Q5 for a little over a month now, and I am so annoyed by their indicator lights. They are completely useless when using outdoors because it’s so dim that you can’t tell if it’s on or off. I didn’t think such a minor thing would be an issue but it really is when I use it outdoors a lot. So frustrating that this thing was near perfect for me.
Well, if it bothers you enough to sell, look me up!

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #2,357 of 3,173
So I’ve had my Q5 for a little over a month now, and I am so annoyed by their indicator lights. They are completely useless when using outdoors because it’s so dim that you can’t tell if it’s on or off. I didn’t think such a minor thing would be an issue but it really is when I use it outdoors a lot. So frustrating that this thing was near perfect for me.
Yes, that has been my only legitimate complaint as well. As you say, outdoors in sunlight it is impossible to see the indicator lights. That said, I'm sure given that the Q5 is likely to be used indoors quite a bit more than outdoors (educated guess there) that FiiO went with common feedback that people dislike bright lights as it ruins the ambience when used to chill with tunes in the dark.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,358 of 3,173
Got the Q5 yesterday and I am very impressed by it's functions as well as sound quality.

It has left me a bit of a dilemma though. My DX200 is overall possibly marginally superior in SQ but not by a great deal. I'd consider selling the DX200 but my source would then be my iphone X and I would be limited by memory. Not sure whether to consider a small player like the Shanlin M0 as a transport.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,359 of 3,173
Tried Q5 optical input, works like a charm.
Bluetooth pairing and streaming is also smooth.
The main reason I chose Q5 over xDSD is its versatility and flexibility.
Besides, it uses AKM dac chip that I had not owned before.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #2,360 of 3,173
If you use Bluetooth just press 3 seconds the on/off button, then 3 seconds the BT button. That's it. Than you can look in your phone notification bar for the BT connected icon. Or if you shade the light with your palm you'll see it.
This was discussed before, and it would be ok for the status light intensity to be user selectable, but not always brighter because then it would be much too bright and annoying indoors / in the dark. So I would prefer the current level.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,361 of 3,173
Yeah I know, but it would be nice to just be able to pull the q5 out of my pocket and know if the thing ran out of power without having to go through the extra effort of getting off my bike and use both my hands to shade the thing. I don’t even feel like this is nitpicking. I think they should consider that people will be using this outdoors considering it’s a portable amp.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #2,362 of 3,173
Exploring Q5 as DAC, to AMP it has only 3.5mm standard line out.
Since Q5 has two DAC, it should be able to do a balanced line out.
It is a pity that it cannot be used as balanced DAC.

Is there any way to make use it through 2.5mm balanced headphone output to dual XLR?
Or may be a new AMP module with balanced line out - @FiiO ?

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #2,363 of 3,173

Is there any way to make use it through 2.5mm balanced headphone output to dual XLR?
You could find whether there are store for helping to diy the certain cable you need.
We don't have the plan about a new AMP with balanced line out currently.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #2,364 of 3,173
Would a dual DAC output really make an audible difference? I'm also not aware if there are any such small footprint devices similar to the Q5 doing this. Are there any hand held, true portable devices with interchangeable amplifier modules and Bluetooth that also provide dual DAC output?

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,365 of 3,173
Tonight I found out that I actually prefer Q5 running single ended through AM3B. :astonished:

To me, it has the same SQ as through 4.4mm balanced, with added bonuses:
- has lower noise level (my IEM is iBasso IT01 and IT04).
- has more precise volume control (due to lower gain) .

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,366 of 3,173

You can use the K5 dock to get your XLR out.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #2,368 of 3,173
But K5 seems not for Q5.
I'll check it.
20180816_190056.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back