FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
May 25, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,071 of 3,173
Trading my q5 for cd3000

May 26, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #2,072 of 3,173
Nice photos!~

F/1.8?

For some reason I didn't get a notification that you quoted me.
Anyway - no, those photos were taken at APS-C, 30 mm, between f3.2 and f5.6

On a related note: AM1 module review posted: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...-x7-x7-mkii-and-q5.23126/reviews#review-20360

As hinted in my Q5 review, for me personally, it is my choice over the bundled AM3A. Bit sad that it was discontinued.

DSC05170-small.JPG

(f2.8, focus set at the headphone jack)

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #2,074 of 3,173
I don't see why firmware updating for this is such a PITA. For Dragonfly Red - one file download for the file manager, everything else was automated. It recognised current fw, it downloaded and installed the update automatically. No having to go through acrobatic button pushes, or messages saying the fw was installed successfully when it wasn't. This is a consumer audio product, not a military grade weapon. Also, why are Android users treated like 2nd class customers? Just shabby.

May 26, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2,075 of 3,173
For some reason I didn't get a notification that you quoted me.
Anyway - no, those photos were taken at APS-C, 30 mm, between f3.2 and f5.6

On a related note: AM1 module review posted: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...-x7-x7-mkii-and-q5.23126/reviews#review-20360

As hinted in my Q5 review, for me personally, it is my choice over the bundled AM3A. Bit sad that it was discontinued.

(f2.8, focus set at the headphone jack)

Interesting!

I asked because the depth of field was quite like you'd been using a smaller F/number :)

BTW, interesting impresson over the AMP modules, I clearly hold AMP5 as my favorite, interesting that we have a different opinion on this.

May 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #2,076 of 3,173
I don't see why firmware updating for this is such a PITA. For Dragonfly Red - one file download for the file manager, everything else was automated. It recognised current fw, it downloaded and installed the update automatically. No having to go through acrobatic button pushes, or messages saying the fw was installed successfully when it wasn't. This is a consumer audio product, not a military grade weapon. Also, why are Android users treated like 2nd class customers? Just shabby.

I think there are levels of difficulty... The dragonfly being super easy... The Q5 isn't thaaaaaat hard....

May 26, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #2,077 of 3,173

I totally agree. I’m still trying to get it to update. I’ve given up. I’ll send it back to Fiio if I hear it’s some major update. Otherwise, I’ll keep enjoying it. Everything works well. So, I’m happy in that regard.

May 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2,078 of 3,173
As an Android user I am wanting a quality application; however, I understand that with the various implementations of Android it is far more difficult for companies like FiiO to do this. I am sure that we'll get there, but we have to wait, which is cool as long as it happens and is well done. I still avoid the Apple ecosystem thing, but I get why for developers it is so easy as they know exactly what they are writing for without different flavours to contend with. Ultimately companies still have to do well by Android users as we do represent a much, much larger segment of the market than do Apple users so Android users will get accommodated.

May 26, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #2,079 of 3,173
I think there are levels of difficulty... The dragonfly being super easy... The Q5 isn't thaaaaaat hard....
Begs the question, why is the q5 update process not super easy? The Fiio staff responsible for sw/fw just aren't up to speed with more professional companies like Astell, Audioquest, Sony etc. This is also evident in Some of Fiios other products such as their daps. Ibasso are notorious for this unpolished approach as well.

May 26, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,080 of 3,173
Begs the question, why is the q5 update process not super easy? The Fiio staff responsible for sw/fw just aren't up to speed with more professional companies like Astell, Audioquest, Sony etc. This is also evident in Some of Fiios other products such as their daps. Ibasso are notorious for this unpolished approach as well.

Your complaints are legitimate... But also remember it's a young company... I'm gonna let them dictate where the efforts/money get directed to... The end goal for the company is to do well

May 26, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,082 of 3,173
Your complaints are legitimate... But also remember it's a young company... I'm gonna let them dictate where the efforts/money get directed to... The end goal for the company is to do well
It's not going to do well if it has a reputation for poor performance in these areas. Customer satisfaction should be even more important for a young company. Frustrating your customers is not a good policy. Can you imagine if Samsung or Apple had update procedures this complicated? Literally millions of complaints. But they don't, because they're professional. The whole process is just poorly implemented. You don't need to be a product/software engineer to realise this.
I knew Fiio were one of these companies with flaky sw/fw/ui issues, that's why I refuse to buy any of their daps. I bought the q5 because I didn't think there could be significant issues with fw with a dac/amp. I'm actually really wanting to update the fw on the q5 because the bt stutters more than what is usual for my other bt products. If I can't get it to update, I'll have to live with this substandard feature.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,083 of 3,173
As an Android user I am wanting a quality application; however, I understand that with the various implementations of Android it is far more difficult for companies like FiiO to do this. I am sure that we'll get there, but we have to wait, which is cool as long as it happens and is well done. I still avoid the Apple ecosystem thing, but I get why for developers it is so easy as they know exactly what they are writing for without different flavours to contend with. Ultimately companies still have to do well by Android users as we do represent a much, much larger segment of the market than do Apple users so Android users will get accommodated.
I get what your saying, and it may be a good point, but I don't know of any other cross OS product where either android or Apple gets so stiffed. My Dragonfly updated and works flawlessly with all of my android products. I really can't see a legitimate excuse.

May 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,084 of 3,173
I get what your saying, and it may be a good point, but I don't know of any other cross OS product where either android or Apple gets so stiffed. My Dragonfly updated and works flawlessly with all of my android products. I really can't see a legitimate excuse.
I'm not talking about the update process, I just received the Q5 yesterday and I'm not sure that I'm going to do any updating unless there is some viable reason to do. Are you referring to the update process, or the lack of an application here? I would like an Android application as well, but it does sound like they are on it. I remember many also feeling slighted by Audeze when they made the Apple enabled Cipher inline module for the Sine, but no Android equivalent. I have to admit I stopped following the Sine so I'm not sure if they ever came out with an Android equivalent? Despite it all, I get that Apple users have this very slight advantage, but they pay dearly for it upfront so I'm willing to write it off as a reasonable cost of Android. Cheers mate.

May 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,085 of 3,173
And not to make it seem like I'm picking on your points, which are valid for sure, but it wasn't that long ago in this hobby that we paid step prices for products that could never be updated, or minimally so and with all kinds of issues so even this somewhat convoluted process is at least a path forward. Your point is well taken and fair, and I'm sure eventually FiiO will have a more user-friendly, stream-lined process for updates. maybe I will try it later just to see what it is like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back