FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Feb 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #406 of 3,173
With reference to the final design posted on page 1, wouldn't it be nicer to swap out the positions of the USB port and the Input Pair button. In that case, a shorter USB cable can be used to interface with a smartphone cause they mostly have USB ports at the bottom.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #408 of 3,173
  not sure anyone find the change, but we add another USB socket so people can use the USB input and charging at the same time. 

Oh right. Gotcha. One on the side and one at the bottom of the amp module.
Problem solved.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #412 of 3,173
They are putting AK4490 which is the same DAC as the $3,400 AK380

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20150514AK4490iriver_001/

I think we're good.  Sabre 9018's are old hat.  If they were going with a Sabre I'm sure they would be going with the new SABRE ES9038PRO

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ess-es9038pro-es-9311-ces-2016/

This ES9038PRO Sabre dac is a 32-bit 8-channel DAC offering what ESS calls the “industry’s highest dynamic range” at 140dB and boasts low total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) at 122dB.

From ESS Site:

Widely recognized as the gold standard in Audio Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) technology, ESS Technology introduces its professional series flagship – the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC. This first member of the ESS PRO series of SABRE DACs offers industry-leading performance in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC and features the industry’s highest dynamic range (DNR) of 140dB. The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC sets a new standard for a truly immersive, high-resolution audio (HRA) experience. As high resolution content proliferates through new, high-end music download services, users are looking for equipment that fulfills the promise of a sound experience matching the artist’s original performance. The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC delivers on that promise enabling the highest quality sound possible, regardless of file format or device.

Recognizing and Realizing the Artistic Vision in the Studio and at Home
The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC was designed for premium home theater equipment including Blu-ray players, preamplifiers, all-in-one A/V receivers, and more. For serious audiophiles it provides the most immersive listening experience – bringing music to life. Studio environments can leverage the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC’s industry-leading performance for professional audio workstations and other equipment. The PRO series also enables studio professionals to recreate popular signature sound styles, using third party DSP and specialized software packages, while remaining true to the artists’ musical vision.

Revolutionary Performance Levels to Satisfy the Most Discerning Audiophile
The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS’ patented 32-bit HyperStream™ DAC technology with up to 140 dB – industry leading – DNR in mono mode and –122 dB (0.00008%) total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N). The HyperStream architecture is responsible for both the outstanding sound quality of ESS SABRE DACs and the extremely low THD+N. A typical competitive, 32-Bit 8-Channel DAC using a delta-sigma architecture features –107 dB THD+N (0.0004%), which when subjected to listening tests does not equal the clarity and sound stage of the ES9038PRO. New hardware features include: • Full-scale manual/auto-gain calibration reduces device-to-device gain error • Programmable volume control ramp-rate with +18 dB option • DoP to DSD decoder minimizes external processing • Total of eight preset filters for maximum design flexibility Programmable functions: • Customizable output configuration: Mono, stereo, 8-channel output in current-mode or voltage-mode based on performance criterion • Customizable filter characteristics: User-programmable filter allowing custom roll-off response • Programmable THD compensation to minimize THD caused by external components

ES9038PRO SABRE DAC Design Advantages
This new flagship SABRE DAC was created to integrate seamlessly with the existing, and future, portfolio of ESS headphone amplifiers as well as other audio building block technology. INTRODUCING THE SABRE ES9038PRO The World’s Highest Performance 32-Bit DAC Featuring 140 dB DNR 237 South Hillview Drive, Milpitas, CA 95035 USA | phone: (408) 643-8800 | fax: (408) 643-8801 Copyright © 2016 ESS Technology. All Rights Reserved. About ESS Technology For more than three decades ESS Technology has been on the cutting edge of audio technology. A privately held fabless semiconductor company, ESS Technology designs and markets high-performance analog and HiFi audio devices for mobile, consumer, automotive, and professional audiophile systems. The company was founded in 1984 and today ESS Technology is best known for its SABRE series of high-performance audio products. For more information visit http://www.esstech.com. Significant advancements over previous generations have been made to simplify the implementation of applications software, and debugging time has been significantly reduced to speed time to market and lower overall system costs. The volume level of all internal DACs can be updated with a single software instruction. A first in the industry, the ES9038PRO also enables audio gain- calibration across multiple DACs for high channel count systems. It also has 500 mW power consumption at 192 kHz sampling and 100 MHz MCLK. Advanced power management features enable a low-power idle mode the audio signal is absent.

ess_ES9038PRO_Feat-Ben.jpg

©2016 ESS Technology. All Rights Reserved.

ESS Link:  http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=360

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ess-es9038pro-es-9311-ces-2016/#ixzz40aRz8eLn 

I say stick with the AK on this product as there are so many sabre products out there and go with 9038pro on the next fiio x7 generation 2 with the ES9311 regulator maybe?  The ES9038PRO is another 8 channel 32 bit DAC similar to 9018.  Not sure what to do with all those channels on the ES9038PRO unless you bind them together or turn them off.  AK will give us a different sound different from SABRE

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #414 of 3,173

If the Q5 is going to be $300-400, it needs to do something that the Oppo HA-2 doesn't do. I'm guessing more power would help, as would a 6.3mm connection for power-hungry headphones. 

The competion in the $300-$600 dac/amp space is brutal right now with the Oppo on one end and the Chord Hugo on the other. Go hard or go home!

Just my observation. 

+1 

$0 - $400 OPPO HA2
$400 - $800 Chord MOJO

if the Q5 can match or best the HA2 for $300 then awesome.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #417 of 3,173
  What is the point of having optical input/output on a portable device? For a desktop I can understand, but for a portable form factor it seems a bit unnecessary 

There are devices with optical output (iRiver H140, AK120, iBasso DX80) and some people (including myself) also like to use their portable gear for stationary use sometimes.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #418 of 3,173
  What is the point of having optical input/output on a portable device? For a desktop I can understand, but for a portable form factor it seems a bit unnecessary 

I'm going to a Meet, and I want to test my own music on someone else's source.  If I have one of my FiiOs with a coaxial connection, most of the time it is easy.  That for me has been quite handy sometimes  - especially when I'm travelling.

If I simply use line-out, then I'm not listening to their DAC.  And I know my own recordings very well - hence the importance of listening to my music on their system.

The same thing would go for optical if it was available.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #419 of 3,173

I'm going to a Meet, and I want to test my own music on someone else's source.  If I have one of my FiiOs with a coaxial connection, most of the time it is easy.  That for me has been quite handy sometimes  - especially when I'm travelling.

If I simply use line-out, then I'm not listening to their DAC.  And I know my own recordings very well - hence the importance of listening to my music on their system.

The same thing would go for optical if it was available.

fair enough, that makes complete sense in your case... but what i'm wondering is, the number of people buying the device, how many actually use those options? Would excluding options for such a (potentially) small user base be worth it in the cost savings? Perhaps the cost savings would be big enough that it would equate to more people buying the device?
Of course, this opens up a can of worms in terms of all the other components for which compromises could be made in order to achieve what I described above...but i was just wondering about the optical in/out particularly 

Perhaps FiiO could benefit from taking the same approach as Schiit.....make a unit that doesn't compromise on the actual sound processing components (dac, amp etc), but offer an "upgraded model" which has extra features such as optical in/out, etc.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #420 of 3,173
Interesting concept Theo.  I guess it depends on how much it costs to implement the little extras and whether or not it is ultimately worth having a different model/SKU.  Would be interesting to see James' view on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back