FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Feb 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #391 of 3,173
Being a current E11K and E12 owner, I would love to have the opportunity to be part of a test group to give a genuine and honest review of the Q5. I am really looking forward to this DAC/AMP combo release. The specs so far are impressive to say the least.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #395 of 3,173
James,

I suggest that you rethink about skipping the Wifi (DLNA/Airplay) function.

That was what attracted my interest for this product. And that could be a big selling point for smartphone users with internet radio (Spotify, ect.). It also cuts some of the cable mess. Without it, I am not sure it stands out that much among competiton.

I do understand the battery consumption issue though. But then many have portable batttery these days. And maybe you can make the unit longer to take a bigger battery?

Just my two cents.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #396 of 3,173
James,

That was what attracted my interest for this product. And that could be a big selling point for smartphone users with internet radio (Spotify, ect.). It also cuts some of the cable mess. Without it, I am not sure it stands out that much among competiton.

I do understand the battery consumption issue though. But then many have portable batttery these days. And maybe you can make the unit longer to take a bigger battery?

Just my two cents.

If the Q5 is going to be $300-400, it needs to do something that the Oppo HA-2 doesn't do. I'm guessing more power would help, as would a 6.3mm connection for power-hungry headphones. 

The competion in the $300-$600 dac/amp space is brutal right now with the Oppo on one end and the Chord Hugo on the other. Go hard or go home!

Just my observation. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #397 of 3,173

If the Q5 is going to be $300-400, it needs to do something that the Oppo HA-2 doesn't do. I'm guessing more power would help, as would a 6.3mm connection for power-hungry headphones. 

The competion in the $300-$600 dac/amp space is brutal right now with the Oppo on one end and the Chord Hugo on the other. Go hard or go home!

Just my observation. 

If it is going to be really portable, 6.3mm jack will just be a waste of space IMO.

Also, I am not seeing OPPO or Hugo as direct competition. The real competition are Mojo and micro iDSD.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #400 of 3,173
Also the Geek Out V2+ as a competitor...

I do not think that Geekoutv2 is up to mojo SQ. So main competitor, depending on price would be Chord mojo. Situation in which, Q5 has a chance of winning due to more interesting amp modules, and the fact that it could have darker background. I read on many places that mojo hisses with IEMs. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #401 of 3,173

I do not think that Geekoutv2 is up to mojo SQ. So main competitor, depending on price would be Chord mojo. Situation in which, Q5 has a chance of winning due to more interesting amp modules, and the fact that it could have darker background. I read on many places that mojo hisses with IEMs. 

Hey George, what is this based upon? I have considered purchasing both. The V2, of course, being considerably less money (depending on the flavor). So I am genuinely curious. Have you heard both? Have you done some A/B testing on them? If so I would love to hear your thoughts. If this it too far OT, please PM me.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #402 of 3,173
Putting my 2 ¢ in to say if the wifi/DLNA/airplay is dropped I'll be sad to see it go. Kind of the major selling point of this over an x7 being iphone compatible.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #403 of 3,173
Also the Geek Out V2+ as a competitor...

I personally don't have a lot of faith in LH Labs. While I can't discuss the source of the information, the discussion I had with some industry insiders reflects badly on LH Labs as there are clear sign that some marketing stunt was carried out to undermine the competition and mislead the consumer. Besides, I think they should have concentrated on getting all their old indigogo projects finished first. That's another story for another time.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #404 of 3,173
James,

Just my two cents.

we will see if we can make it in the future when there are solution can solve the power issues.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #405 of 3,173
James,

Just my two cents.

I'm still hoping that we'll see some kind of battery unit as a module. It could sit flush down the back of both the X7 and Q5 a bit like the A&K PAF11. Possibly, maybe. I'm an optimist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back