FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Mar 21, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,546 of 3,173
Has anyone else had a problem connecting via bluetooth to their iPhone? I keep putting mine in pairing mode (blue / red light flashing) and my iPhone usually can't find the Q5 (it finds everything else no problem). Sometimes the Q5 will pop up, but when I try to pair the connection fails. I'm able to connect via the lightning connector, just not bluetooth. Any ideas?

Under my iPhone settings --> general --> about --> Q5 it says my firmware version is 0.4.8, which seems odd for a production model (purchased on Amazon Saturday)... Is that the latest firmware?

Dear friend,

Do you mean that the Q5 is already in pairing mode (blue / red light flashing), but your iPhone usually fail to find it from paired Bluetooth list? Try to reset the Q5 to see if it helps? How far away is your Q5 and the iPhone? Would you mind trying another mobile phone to see whether the same issue remains?

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,547 of 3,173
I’m really liking the Q5. It works well and seems to have good battery life. But there is a little noise bleed at zero volume with my MD+. I can still hear music playing when it’s turned all the way down. Anyone else notice this/am I just being picky?

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,548 of 3,173
Dear friend,

Do you mean that the Q5 is already in pairing mode (blue / red light flashing), but your iPhone usually fail to find it from paired Bluetooth list? Try to reset the Q5 to see if it helps? How far away is your Q5 and the iPhone? Would you mind trying another mobile phone to see whether the same issue remains?

Best regards

Hi, yes I mean the Q5 is in pairing mode. Through the headphones I hear it say “pairing”. The iPhone does not detect the Q5 from the Bluetooth list, but does see other devices in the area. The Q5 is right next to the iPhone. I’ve tried holding the pairing button down for 5 seconds so it goes directly into pair mode and forgot previously paired phones, same result.

Again, sometimes after a while the Q5 pops up in the Bluetooth list, but when I try to pair with it my phone says it can’t.

I’ve tried using my MacBook Pro (2018) and iPad. Same results.

Tried powering off all devices and turning them back on. Same results.

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,549 of 3,173
I noticed that you own my current IEM (the ER4SR). Do you use it with the FiiO Q5? Are they a good match?
The Q5 is on its way from the US. China was out of stock (Fiio Official , at least).
I owned the pha-1a in the past for a month or so. I assume that Q5 is a step up.
I believe that the Q5 can drive the 100 ohm 4S.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,550 of 3,173
Hi, yes I mean the Q5 is in pairing mode. Through the headphones I hear it say “pairing”. The iPhone does not detect the Q5 from the Bluetooth list, but does see other devices in the area. The Q5 is right next to the iPhone. I’ve tried holding the pairing button down for 5 seconds so it goes directly into pair mode and forgot previously paired phones, same result.

Again, sometimes after a while the Q5 pops up in the Bluetooth list, but when I try to pair with it my phone says it can’t.

I’ve tried using my MacBook Pro (2018) and iPad. Same results.

Tried powering off all devices and turning them back on. Same results.
Have you tried telling your phone to forget the device and try pairing again? Once you pair it, you shouldn’t need to go back into discovery mode. You should press the play/pause button for a few seconds and it should connect immediately.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,551 of 3,173
20180322_001315.jpg
20180322_001338.jpg
20180322_001537.jpg
20180322_001122.jpg

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,555 of 3,173
How is noise/interference when using an iPhone (not on airplane mode)? I am trying to determine what I want, this, Chord Mojo or ???. Am concerned about the noise with the Mojo and iPhone when not in airplane mode, so if this has much less noise/interference, the Q5 might be a winner.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,556 of 3,173
How is noise/interference when using an iPhone (not on airplane mode)? I am trying to determine what I want, this, Chord Mojo or ???. Am concerned about the noise with the Mojo and iPhone when not in airplane mode, so if this has much less noise/interference, the Q5 might be a winner.
I've used mine for ~20 hours with a mixture of both Bluetooth and cabled and haven't noticed any interference from my iPhone X.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,557 of 3,173
The mojo definitely has more interference than the Q5. I got occasional dropouts with the mojo and I have only had maybe 2 when my phone was “under load” in the hours I’ve used the Q5.

I’m a very picky consumer of tech and, I’ve gotta say, there’s not a lot to pick with the Q5. It’s pretty good. (Aside from the embarrassing iOS app!)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,558 of 3,173
I have been using Q5 with Xiaomi Mi Max 2 today.

Not the most portable of solutions, at least I couldn't pocket it at all, but the sonic quality is nothing to joke about, plus you can drive even Beyerdynamic Amiron or LCD-MX4 with AMP5 :)

Totally recommended DAC/AMP :)

Having the full library and especially display of Mi Max 2 (6.44"), I can see Q5 getting a lot of love for a music listening solution. Me really likes having a large screen on stuff, and this one combo is quite good at providing that
Hey there!
Am5 arrived yesterday and I'm still testing it, but what a combo! I think Q5 should have been released with AM5.

Finally broke down and bought this yesterday. Arrived this morning and hope to have time tonight to give it a go.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,559 of 3,173
Comparison between Fiio Q5 vs Oppo HA-2SE

Disclaimer:
I own Oppo HA-2SE and Fiio Q5 was loaned to me in exchange for an honest review of the unit. This will not be a full review of Fiio Q5 but rather a comparison between those two dac amps as they are similarly priced.

Phones used for assessment:
Monoprice Monolith M1060, Philips SHP9500, Shure SRH840, Takstar Pro82, RHA T20, 1more Triple Drivers, KZ ZS6

Source:
Tidal HiFi and Spotify from Android to DAC/Amp via USB-C (HA2SE, Q5) or bluetooth (Q5)

Form Factors:
Let's start with form factors of both the devices as most of us will use DAC/Amps with our phones, DAPs or laptops while on the go hence form factor matters.

Fiio Q5: It has a very well machined brushed aluminum face and the back is covered by synthetic leather to prevent scratching when stacked against your source device which is a very nice touch and increases the 'premium' feel. Edges are beveled and they feel sharper than that of the HA2SE. Perfect resistence on the volume knob. It is shorter than HA2SE but thicker. Just imagine a thicker iPhone 5C with sharp edges.

HA2SE: It brings the leather game up a notch by having genuine leather wrapped around both front and back of the device. Volume knob is certainly more well built compared to that of Fiio - more sturdy, more clicky. Also, By being thinner and longer, the HA2SE will be less bulging and more pocketable if you decide to stack your smartphone and the DACamp together although Q5 is not far off behind.

TL;DR Form Factor Winner: HA2SE

Features:

HA2SE: Line in, 3.5mm Line out, micro USB in, Gain switch 3.5mm SE out, Bass boost, 4000mAh battery with power bank feature.

Q5: Optical / Coaxial / Line in, 3.5mm Line out, Gain switch, Dual micro USB in for charging and source input separately, Bass Boost, Bluetooth AptX, Balanced 2.5mm + 3.5mm SE out, DSD indicating LED, input indicating LED, swappable amp module, 3800mAh battery without power bank feature, auto idling switch off.

As you can see, Q5 definitely has longer and better list of features. I especially like the bluetooth features because when I am out and about I can leave Q5 in one pocket and my Android in another, not having a big ugly bulge while I can still enjoy close to perfect audio with my Android being free. Bluetooth has come a long way. Without having super analytical side by side A/B i really cannot tell the difference whether the source is wired or wireless. Another pro with bluetooth is that the USB ports on Q5 / phone are free and it comes in handy when one of them is low in battery. I can charge and listen to high quality audio at the same time!

Having two USB ports on Q5 is another feature which i applause much since you can use it on a desk with your phone plugged into the bottom port of Q5 and you can charge it up at the same time using the side port. Big plus!

Functions of both USB port can be swapped by software but unfortunately I am unable to test that because I dont have an iDevice on hand. Fiio, when are we getting the Android version of your app??

About that auto-iding off, I think it is a godsent. Tell me about it, there has been too many times I forgot to turn off my HA2SE and the next time I want to use it.... flat battery! No more such issue with Q5. =)

Both devices advertise iDevice compatibility hence you should not have any issues using your iDevice with them. On the other hand Android is a wild jungle that's why Fiio does not openly advertise official Android support but Q5 actually support most of the Android devices out there. With HA2SE I had trouble initially with my Nexus 6P and OnePlus 5 (both USB type C). Once connected my phones would reverse-charge the HA2SE! Irony when you know Oppo advertises it has power bank feature. The problem solved when I ordered a third party short USB C-to-micro OTG cable design to work with HA2SE then only the reverse charging stopped. WIth Q5 there is no issue when official USB C cable is used.

TL;DR: Features Winner: Q5, by a far margin.

Sound signatures:

This is where anyone who reads this cares about and let me tell you, they are both really close. Differences which I am about to tell you are really minute and one will rarely notices without a thorough A/B session. Both has no problem driving all my gears with authority but then again if you look at it non of my cans are hard to drive. It is a shame my HD6xx which I joined the Drop during end of Dec 2017 is still not in my hands yet. I might give an update once I have received my pair. Both sound very neutral and bring up the characteristics of your headphones without overly emphasizing on any particular region in sound spectrum. Below I will be focusing the differences rather than similarities:

Bass Boost:
Both Fiio and Oppo do it exceptionally well with their bass boost switches. I use them to bring up the enamic bass in SHP9500 and both sounded 'right' with no leaks into the mids. They don't slow down the bass response, just the right amount of bass bump. Good work there. I leave the switches off for most of my other cans most of the time except when I'm listening to EDM (DeadMau5, Zomboy, Skrillex etc) and want that extra push in bass section.

HA2SE:
Power: 220mW/32ohm SE.
In short, its sound signature is neutral to slightly bright. Symbals, synthetics snaps etc sound more forward and because of this, there is a perception of more details and stage coming from this DACamp. It will shine if it is paired with darker pair of cans.

Q5:
Power: 150mW/32ohm SE, 400mW/32ohm balanced.
Isn't balanced the 'in' word nowadays? with balanced 2.5mm HP out one can definitely note the power increase compared to HA2SE or its own SE out. I managed to get balanced cables for my M1060 and ZS6 and they both performed well in balanced. It is quite impossible to A/B balanced vs. SE because of volume discrepancy after switching outputs so i will be conservative and say maybe there is not much perceivable differences besides volume increase. I will not switch back to SE though, if you ask me. (for the bragging rights!)

Where Q5 shines over HA2SE is in the mids. Vocals and real instruments sound more 'natural'
and 'organic'. HA2SE is nowhere bad, but in comparison it sounded more 'cold', 'synthetic' and 'robotic'. Don't get me wrong, these are only in relative terms. Possibly this is due to what everyone is calling "Sabre Glare"? In short, Q5 is neutral to slightly warm/smooth in comparison.

TL;DR:
HA2SE neutral to slightly bright.
Q5 neutral to slightly warm and smooth

Price points:

Q5 $350usd vs. HA2SE $310usd
Is Q5 worth the $40 extra? YES, a big yes, for the extra features it offers over HA2SE alone is already worth more than $40. Nice and natural vocal presentations are big bonus.

Why choose HA2SE: Form factor (prettier!), sleeker while stacked, for those who don't care about Coax/optical/BT inputs, no hard to drive cans to pair with, and no cans with balanced cables.

Why choose Q5: More options, freedom of BT AptX, transforming your analog cans into BT cans, more power to push higher resistance cans, stepping into balanced game.

P/S: Regardless which amp you get, get Fixate gel pad to stack them. This is a much more elegant solution compared to rubber bands or Blue Tac.

That's all I want to say regarding Q5 vs HA2SE. Hope it can help someone out there to make a purchase decision. Thank you! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back