FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #322 of 834
IMGP0042.JPG

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #323 of 834
If anyone got a link to a working cable please post it .)

BTW: Anyone has tested the Shanling L2 cable yet?

Shanling L2, It will reverse charging, not suitable.
About TypeC support cable, in the future there will be agents sales, but FiiO does not sell. If you need anything, you can try to contact this Chinese agents first.: wang@ddhifi.com

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #324 of 834
Using a galaxy s7 and so far haven't noticed a bump in the audio quality with either MDR-V6s or DT770s using micro usb OTG as compared to headphone jack...kind of disappointing.

Anyone else have this combo (Fiio + S7)...do you notice a difference?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #326 of 834
Balance. or ?
No not balanced...both the dt770 and mdr-v6 don't have removable plugs...so as far as I know you can only use the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unless I am mistaken and there is a way to use them in a balanced fashion.

However from what I understand doesn't a balanced cable mainly reduce noise...interference that gets into the signal? I thought the whole point of a balanced cable was that the second signal gets inverted (twice) so any ambient/background/static interference that the cable picks up between the source and the renderere gets nulled out from its inverted counterpart.

I feel like the audio coming thru both headphones is pretty darn clean (from both sources)...even when playing just a cello or violin solo at low or high volume I don't notice any noise or anything that I don't think should be there. Or can a balanced cable do more than just remove noise interference?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #327 of 834
You may have to peek inside the cup to see if single ended happens up top or at the plug. But it is good to know from balance you are only an dapter away from going back.

And judging Q1 mkii without balance is like judging a Lamborghini for its fuel economy.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #328 of 834
No not balanced...both the dt770 and mdr-v6 don't have removable plugs...so as far as I know you can only use the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unless I am mistaken and there is a way to use them in a balanced fashion.

However from what I understand doesn't a balanced cable mainly reduce noise...interference that gets into the signal? I thought the whole point of a balanced cable was that the second signal gets inverted (twice) so any ambient/background/static interference that the cable picks up between the source and the renderere gets nulled out from its inverted counterpart.

I feel like the audio coming thru both headphones is pretty darn clean (from both sources)...even when playing just a cello or violin solo at low or high volume I don't notice any noise or anything that I don't think should be there. Or can a balanced cable do more than just remove noise interference?
You got it in one.

I have a section on the balanced output in the review - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...-certified-dac-amp.22526/reviews#review-19316

And judging Q1 mkii without balance is like judging a Lamborghini for its fuel economy.
Do the tests properly volume matched and blind, and you may change your view (a lot). The only advantage would be for headphones which require more power.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #329 of 834
You got it in one.

I have a section on the balanced output in the review - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...-certified-dac-amp.22526/reviews#review-19316

Do the tests properly volume matched and blind, and you may change your view (a lot). The only advantage would be for headphones which require more power.
Just to clarify, "the only advantage..." to using balanced? "...would be for headphones which require more power."
or to using the fiio in general?

I did not do a truly blind test to be fair, I think I would need assistance to do that as someone has to move the cables around for me without my knowing...however that's a good suggestion, thank you.

I did do volume matched testing...at least to the best of my ability to do so. Before I actually compared quality I spent several minutes figuring out exactly where the dial needed to be to be matched.

One more question...is it better to have the phone output volume setting on low (like a 3-5 out of 15) and turn the dial on the Fiio up more versus having the phone on something like 11-13, or is it a moot point since it's a completely digital transfer thru USB anyway.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #330 of 834
The point was about using balanced vs SE. I happen to quite like FIIO as a brand. They implement their hardware pretty well.

If you’re volume matching by ear - you may as well forget volume matching :wink: - it has to be accurate.

And yes - if you’re using a true digital transfer the volume should not have any effect - it should be fully reliant on the Q1ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back