FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #331 of 834
I don't want to get into this 'taste great' 'less filling' scenario. Between my mouth and stomach I just feel my ears can recognize balance to be better. ;-

Disclosure: the Q1 MK II tour unit that I used may have been tuned slightly differently than the final product. So se could have gotten better since tour and product release. Just my guess.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #332 of 834
The point was about using balanced vs SE. I happen to quite like FIIO as a brand. They implement their hardware pretty well.

If you’re volume matching by ear - you may as well forget volume matching :wink: - it has to be accurate.

And yes - if you’re using a true digital transfer the volume should not have any effect - it should be fully reliant on the Q1ii
Thanks for your time...your last point is interesting to me because if I turn the volume dial on the Fiio up to max and my phone up to max, it is quite louder than than if the fiio stays at max but my phone is at 50%. Is that just because the Fiio takes the phone "volume" as a signal or range indicator as to how much amplification it should output...thus the phone at 7out15 would mean the Fiio at max dial turn will be roughly 50% total possible amplification and the phone at 15out15 will use 100% total possible amplification? Does that make sense?

As far as more accurate volume matching, I'm assuming you have a high quality microphone you plug into your PC and then somehow attach to you cans...or just rest the cans on. I don't have that but do you think using a smartphone app like decibel meter would be more accurate then my ears and get me a lot closer to the goal of matched volume.

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #333 of 834
I don't want to get into this 'taste great' 'less filling' scenario. Between my mouth and stomach I just feel my ears can recognize balance to be better. ;-
There is one universal truth about all A/V "viewing" in my opinion and that is

no one else can (or ever should) tell you that you shouldn't like what you like or vice versa. Whether it's placebo effect, actual real life truth (or like most things) somewhere in the middle, if you "like" something more than another...you're not hurting anyone by liking it more and in fact are probably doing the world a solid by being happier. This world could use a lot more happier...always! :)

sorry if I was jumping on your happiness

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #334 of 834

Standardly, as balance tends to put out more power, we perceive the louder as better as we hear instruments and voices as more present, carrying more weight. Going to have to agree with Brooko on this one.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #335 of 834
Thanks for your time...your last point is interesting to me because if I turn the volume dial on the Fiio up to max and my phone up to max, it is quite louder than than if the fiio stays at max but my phone is at 50%. Is that just because the Fiio takes the phone "volume" as a signal or range indicator as to how much amplification it should output...thus the phone at 7out15 would mean the Fiio at max dial turn will be roughly 50% total possible amplification and the phone at 15out15 will use 100% total possible amplification? Does that make sense?

As far as more accurate volume matching, I'm assuming you have a high quality microphone you plug into your PC and then somehow attach to you cans...or just rest the cans on. I don't have that but do you think using a smartphone app like decibel meter would be more accurate then my ears and get me a lot closer to the goal of matched volume.

It depends on your source. With a properly implemented digital out the volume from the phone should not matter (it can't because all it is feeding is the digital signal - no amp involved). Unfortunately I can't say how your source works - but it seems strange.

And for volume matching - yes even an app will be more accurate. I use a proper standalone spl meter.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #336 of 834
There is one universal truth about all A/V "viewing" in my opinion and that is

no one else can (or ever should) tell you that you shouldn't like what you like or vice versa. Whether it's placebo effect, actual real life truth (or like most things) somewhere in the middle, if you "like" something more than another...you're not hurting anyone by liking it more and in fact are probably doing the world a solid by being happier. This world could use a lot more happier...always! :)

sorry if I was jumping on your happiness

I disagree with folks (love balanced) and tire about reading it in threads that are not sound Science. If you wanna enlighten the world start a crusade...in the Sound Science section or....spend your money buying other items where the same claims are made also, today, on this site...it's happening right now in other threads... instead of sucking the joy out of FiiO owners or potential owners.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #337 of 834
If I'm asked the question - I give a response. Whether its the response people like or not it up to them - but it is based on known facts. If people can post about their experiences based on nothing more than the subjective, surely I can do the same based on measurable facts - and shouldn't be restricted to one part of the forum because of it.

It wasn't long ago you were doing the same (U shaped DAP ring any bells?). We relied on measurements then - why should this be any different? Or is it simply because you disagree with the facts I'm presenting?

Again - I'm not sucking any joy out of anything - I am simply responding with the facts to a question which was asked about the benefit of balanced (and IMO answered incorrectly).

Or do you subscribe to this being an informative answer to someone genuinely asking for assistance:
And judging Q1 mkii without balance is like judging a Lamborghini for its fuel economy.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #339 of 834
I have the F9 and the Q1mkII. I've spent time with both the balanced and regular cable, and I honestly can't tell a discernible difference between the two. To me, the balanced output was more of an "icing on the cake" feature; it will be great with harder-to-drive headphones (where people tend to report more of a difference), but it's not essential to why I like the device.

It took some work to get the Q1mkII to work with my Android devices, but I love the sound of the dac/amp. The increase in quality over my phone's output IS discernible, particularly with clarity and instrument separation. For me, that's the real value of the Q1mkII.

On a side note, the ergonomics of the balanced cable are nice. It is light and sits nice and flat (compared to some of my other IEMs).

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #341 of 834
Depression is losing the tiny lightning to USB cable and waiting waiting waiting for FiiO to have replacements available.

This really stinks.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #343 of 834
Depression is losing the tiny lightning to USB cable and waiting waiting waiting for FiiO to have replacements available.

This really stinks.

That's a bit extreme. But then again, I don't honestly think you get the gravity of what you're saying.

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #344 of 834
That's a bit extreme. But then again, I don't honestly think you get the gravity of what you're saying.

I honestly think you don’t think about what you are writing.

No need to get personal with me.

I sure do know know the gravity of what I am saying.

To have a product be useless without a tiny cable is insanity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back