FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #406 of 834
Does anyone know of a comparison review between the Fiio Q1 MkII and the Apple supplied DAC (the tiny white one that comes with the iPhone)?
I currently use my Westone W30s straight out of the iPhone for commuting and was curious to know what (if any) improvement I would get by using this Amp/Dac.
As a further improvement it would give me an option to buy a balanced cable for my W30s as well.
As each of those 'upgrades' costs under £100 it seems like a potential way to get the best out of my Westones without shelling out too much money.
This doesn't answer your question, but I can't imagine any scenario in which the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter would ever sound better than the FiiO or any device dedicated to producing above average sound quality for any decent pair of IEMs or headphones. That said, for commuting, it might not be worth the trouble of dealing with multiple devices, cables, etc.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #407 of 834
This doesn't answer your question, but I can't imagine any scenario in which the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter would ever sound better than the FiiO or any device dedicated to producing above average sound quality for any decent pair of IEMs or headphones. That said, for commuting, it might not be worth the trouble of dealing with multiple devices, cables, etc.
Quite true. Tomorrow I’m going to do a comparison between the iPhone DAC and my Grace Design on the Mac. Should give me an indication if the purchase would be worthwhile

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #408 of 834
First one is confirmed to work with newest iPhone a and iOS. Second one does not work with newest iPhones. No word from third seller.

It also looks like Forza AudioWorks makes a micro USB / LOD cable, so that’s another good option.
Matt at Forza got back to me and they don't have the LOD cable available nor do does he know when they would become available. Seems like a low-priority item for them. Too bad. My only option is to go with the eBay seller "dtses14."

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #409 of 834
Matt at Forza got back to me and they don't have the LOD cable available nor do does he know when they would become available. Seems like a low-priority item for them. Too bad. My only option is to go with the eBay seller "dtses14."

Could you please link the listing you're talking about?

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #410 of 834
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #411 of 834
I use it with my Note 4 and it does DSD and does not drain battery from Note 4. I posted the cable earlier but I will look for the box if you cant find that post a few pages back.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...b-dac-chip-dac-ak4452-20-hours.855282/page-24

Is the cable itself keeping your note 4 from charging the Q1M2?
I have an S7 Edge and an otg cable but the phone is charging the Q1M2 when I plug it in. I will buy a cable if it will work for me.
I have tried to find one based on the box you posted but no luck yet.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #414 of 834
I have eyed this one for a while now. So when I had a few hour to kill in Hongkong, I went to Wan Chai and one of the shops had it - priced at HKD 998, but haggled down to HKD 830. I also noticed a Sony WM digital out custom cable, grabed it for HKD 170. Boy does it make a nice combo!

The form factor of the Q1 mk2 is nearly exactly the same as the Sony A3x/4x series. The sound - well I would never have believed how much difference a DAC/AMP can make, even if the Sony sounds very nice on its own, too. But with the Q1 making the heavy lifting - wow.

Very impressed and happy with the price, too.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #415 of 834
I'm planning to get the q1 mk2, however for those who already have one, do you think it can last with me using it as a dedicated dac/amp for desktop? I'm quite concerned about the battery since it will be plugged into my computer most of the time (I am gonna use it for portable too but most of the time it will be on my desktop)

I'm gonna use it for hifiman-4xx since my desktop can't power it enough.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #416 of 834
During USB dac connection to your computer, it is charged through the same usb connection.
In my opinion it is very good desktop dac and portable dac as well.
However when your headphone is not very efficient phones like planar phones like he 500/560, or Beyerdynamic T1, the power of Fiio Q1 mk2 is not enough to drive those phones.
So is true for relatively high impedance phones above 300 ohms like hd650/600/800.

Therefore you need a decent headphone amplifier for the solution.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #417 of 834
I'm planning to get the q1 mk2, however for those who already have one, do you think it can last with me using it as a dedicated dac/amp for desktop? I'm quite concerned about the battery since it will be plugged into my computer most of the time (I am gonna use it for portable too but most of the time it will be on my desktop)

I'm gonna use it for hifiman-4xx since my desktop can't power it enough.

I've had mine plugged into my laptop for a few weeks now, the battery charges and discharges like normal.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #420 of 834
During USB dac connection to your computer, it is charged through the same usb connection.
In my opinion it is very good desktop dac and portable dac as well.
However when your headphone is not very efficient phones like planar phones like he 500/560, or Beyerdynamic T1, the power of Fiio Q1 mk2 is not enough to drive those phones.
So is true for relatively high impedance phones above 300 ohms like hd650/600/800.

Therefore you need a decent headphone amplifier for the solution.

I've had mine plugged into my laptop for a few weeks now, the battery charges and discharges like normal.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm excited to test it out before buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back