FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #391 of 834
The Fiio Q1 MK ii is my first foray into portable devices which I bought to use on my travels. I use it paired with an iPhone SE and mainly running the Qobuz player to play imported music from their catalogue. I'm impressed by the sound quality of this quite tiny DAC/AMP and at the price it really is quite remarkable value. I also got the Fiio F5 IEMs which come with a balanced cable, although I have a personal preference for full-size headphones. For travel purposes the Bose QC35 (that I already had) fit the bill very well ... unsurprisingly not up to the SQ standard of my main headphones but more than adequate while on-the-go. In fact, I would say they match the Q1 very well (with the 3.5mm cable) although I feel they do need a boost from the GAIN switch on the Q1 to sound their best. I also tried it with Bass boost although this seemed to muddy the sound too much IMO. In any event, the QC35 are not bass-shy. All in all I am very satisfied with this purchase. An excellent product at the price.

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #393 of 834
@HiFiChris ... informative and well-written review. I noticed that the text labels that show on your photos are not visible on my unit, apart from an extremely faint headphone symbol in between the outputs which I can barely see ... it would seem to be a production fault on my unit. It doesn't affect the sound but it does make it harder to see what I'm doing when setting Gain/Bass ... I have to remember which way the settings are, or try by trial and error ... not ideal.

IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053.jpg

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #394 of 834
@HiFiChris ... informative and well-written review. I noticed that the text labels that show on your photos are not visible on my unit, apart from an extremely faint headphone symbol in between the outputs which I can barely see ... it would seem to be a production fault on my unit. It doesn't affect the sound but it does make it harder to see what I'm doing when setting Gain/Bass ... I have to remember which way the settings are, or try by trial and error ... not ideal.

Oh wow, yeah that's definitely a manufacturing fault. I'd try and get that RMA'd if you can.

Mine are faint but they're definitely there.

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #396 of 834
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #397 of 834
Jan 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #398 of 834
Nice! Where did you get it? Looks perfect for my use.

thank god i dont have to deal with that anymore.

oJwvw.jpg

not so proper volume match, but serviceable. it always impresses me how close everything is in midfi. the q1mk2 seems to have i tidbit more extension with bass, and better stereo. the bass boost is a gamechanger in the sound presentation. and for me, its what seals the deal.

the great about it imo, is that you can pair the two, and have the best of both worlds.

fiio nailed it big with this two.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #400 of 834
Anyone using custom / third-party micro USB to Lighting cables? If so, can you point me in the right direction? There's a few options on eBay, but not sure of compatibility (I have messages out to the sellers):

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #402 of 834
Anyone using custom / third-party micro USB to Lighting cables? If so, can you point me in the right direction? There's a few options on eBay, but not sure of compatibility (I have messages out to the sellers):

First one is confirmed to work with newest iPhone a and iOS. Second one does not work with newest iPhones. No word from third seller.

It also looks like Forza AudioWorks makes a micro USB / LOD cable, so that’s another good option.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #403 of 834
First one is confirmed to work with newest iPhone a and iOS. Second one does not work with newest iPhones. No word from third seller.

It also looks like Forza AudioWorks makes a micro USB / LOD cable, so that’s another good option.

Hey, do you use your Q1ii for gaming as well?

If so, how do you find it? Especially with your PC37x.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #404 of 834
Hey, do you use your Q1ii for gaming as well?

If so, how do you find it? Especially with your PC37x.
Haven’t tried but will give it a go sometime this week!

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #405 of 834
Does anyone know of a comparison review between the Fiio Q1 MkII and the Apple supplied DAC (the tiny white one that comes with the iPhone)?
I currently use my Westone W30s straight out of the iPhone for commuting and was curious to know what (if any) improvement I would get by using this Amp/Dac.
As a further improvement it would give me an option to buy a balanced cable for my W30s as well.
As each of those 'upgrades' costs under £100 it seems like a potential way to get the best out of my Westones without shelling out too much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back