FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #226 of 761
I have the BTR7 and now the Q15 and did some side by side comparison. As written before, I was quite a bit disappointed from the Q15, as I missed a certain punch that I felt the BTR7 had. After more testing, I see things a bit different: It seems that the Q15 doesn't add much in terms of coloration to the headphone. My main headphone, Hifiman Ananda, is relatively neutral, so albeit being more resolving, it seemed a bit boring combined with the Q15. However, things changed quite a bit with my IKKO OH10, a rather special headphone with elevated bass – you really don't need any extra punch from the amplifier for this one. Combined with the Q15, everything became clearer, more transparency without loosing the overall sound signature of this IEM. Same with Hifiman HE400i, which is actually inferior to the Ananda, but profited a lot from the amplification of the Q15.
With the BTR7, IKKO OH10 is fine, but everything maybe a bit overemphasized, and less resolving. I definitely prefer this IEM with Q15.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #227 of 761
I'm in the same situation as you, I have the qudelix 5k +fiio fh9, after returning a g5 topping I'm starting to be skeptical, the g5 is better than the 5k by about 5% maybe even less.
If you don't need EQ> Mojo 2 + Poly will net you a noticeable upgrade over the 5k. Ifi Gryphon too.

Both sound more hifi and bring magic/pleasure to the audio compared to the 5K.

Ultimately I don't think there is anything as small and as hi-end sounding as the Poly+Mojo 2 combo, for this reason it's the leader of the portables pack (and I've tried many dongles/portables).

If you have 100-300$ to spend on a portable thingy, I would just say keep the 5k - dont think there is anything out there that would give you a good enough jump over it.

Concerning the Q15, I feel even the IFI Gryphon is smoother, has blacker background and just sounds like it has better digital section/reclocking - the music just flows like waves out of it, mixed with freshness and warmth and dynamics. The Q15 just sounds.. flat. there's nothing about it that has grabbed my attention, I'm unfortunately unconvinced, but need to give it more time, maybe I will change my mind

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #228 of 761
If you don't need EQ> Mojo 2 + Poly will net you a noticeable upgrade over the 5k. Ifi Gryphon too.

Both sound more hifi and bring magic/pleasure to the audio compared to the 5K.

Ultimately I don't think there is anything as small and as hi-end sounding as the Poly+Mojo 2 combo, for this reason it's the leader of the portables pack (and I've tried many dongles/portables).

If you have 100-300$ to spend on a portable thingy, I would just say keep the 5k - dont think there is anything out there that would give you a good enough jump over it.

Concerning the Q15, I feel even the IFI Gryphon is smoother, has blacker background and just sounds like it has better digital section/reclocking - the music just flows like waves out of it, mixed with freshness and warmth and dynamics. The Q15 just sounds.. flat. there's nothing about it that has grabbed my attention, I'm unfortunately unconvinced, but need to give it more time, maybe I will change my mind
Thanks for replying, I will try ifi gryphon.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #230 of 761
Hello everyone. FIIO Q15 arrived today. (Ordered on Saturday at Hifi-Passion, price 402 Eur complete). I just updated the firmware. I couldn't find the Fiio USB DAC on the Q15 so I used this one: https://bbs.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=201911191752415983705&tid=16 (5.58.0) Everything worked without problems. I'll be comparing it to a Sony NW WM1Z modded by nwaudio.uk. and Sanling M3S. I haven't used that for a long time since I got the Sony. Both have enough power through balanced outputs to drive Gjallarhorn GH50JM headphones, 33ohm, 116dB. They are quite effective. Since I needed a Bluetooth dac, coax in, line out, I bought the Q15. I am very curious to compare. I will write my impressions here, in about 14 days. I give him time to "burn out" the capacitors and settle the impressions in my head. (I'm not convinced if it affects the sound. I would have to have two identical devices. One brand new and one used for about 100-200 hours and switch between them.) Maybe I'll write the first impression tomorrow, just briefly. Be healthy everyone.

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #231 of 761
I listened to it yesterday but mostly today for a few hours. I know that I am comparing incomparably, since these players are each in a different price category:
DaP Shanling M3s – 300 euros,
DaC FIIO Q15 – 400 euros,
DaP Sony MW WM1Z - 3300Eur.
Shanling was the first, years later I bought a second-hand Sony (1500Eur) and now I needed something universal. Coaxial input around CD, USB, Bluetooth, but mainly 2V line output, because Sony only has 0.7V 3.5mm. It will not stimulate the power amp enough, especially on weaker recordings. I don't want a preamplifier, I only have a relay volume control. Cheap spoils the sound and expensive is a useless investment. I haven't tried it with speakers yet given the circumstances. I have to be hom alone because of the volume. These are just my impressions and opinions.
At first I switched between 1 and 2, after a few hours between 2 and 3.
Yesterday I remained very skeptical about the very harsh sound and distortion. After a while I found out that it was woken up around the EQ. I pulled the gain down to -7 and the sound cleared up.
The equalizer works well of course via bluetooth. It can be used directly in the application via USB. I forgot to turn it off and connected to usb. I had to use the factory settings to disable the EQ. You have to remember that.
In terms of performance, of course, the Q15 is at the top of the three. Then Sony and M3S as the weakest of them. Headphones Gjallarhorn GH50 JM 33OhM, 116dB.
Q15 Compared to the Shanling, it has more detail, punch, more space, better separation, as if each instrument is more separated from the others.
Shanling: The singer is more in the listener's head. There is more space on the Q15, it is more impressive. Shanling has something in the low frequencies that is tiring and annoying after long listening. The bass is not fused, but something hums there. It's not in every song, but most of the time. Fluency and smoothness are probably comparable for both.
The Q15 sounds quite good, nice, for the price of 400 Euros, about OK. During this period, I did not try other players in this price category of 400Eur
Sony seems to be reassuring. Sony's sound seems to me to be more mature. The music flows smoothly, without jolts. Maybe it's my impression, maybe it's because Sony has a bigger body. Everything else happens around him. And maybe Q15 has more resolution of.
Yesterday I was under the impression that the Q15 was flat. Either I got used to him, or it's psychoacoustics, or I don't know. I'm replacing three players today and I don't have this feeling.
Please take me with a grain of salt, I'm not an expert on these things. In some time I will write how it plays with the final amplifier and speakers. I wish everyone good health.

Attachments

• Q15.jpg
    Q15.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #232 of 761
Just received mine, so far so good.
I managed to trigger the Desktop Mode with my standard USB PD adapter and even a powerbank.

Pretty satisfied with the driving power, handled my HD800S and even Hifiman HE6SE V2 without a hitch even in Super Gain. With Ultra Gain in Desktop Mode, it's quite a bit more dynamic in my ears.

1700807292726.jpeg
Have you compared it with Fiio Q7 for driving HD800s?

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #233 of 761
I think the question of q15 driving capabilities should not be the focus because with that power I am very sure it should drive mostly anything on the market. I have strong believe it would drive even Susvara to comfortable levels. So the discussion should be what else can it offer. Here is what I gathered so far and please feel free to correct me or add more:

1. Global PEQ with a lot of space for headroom (a feature every modern respectful amp should have in 2023+ year).
  2. Detailed and rich like sound that comes close to bigger toys like q7, k9 and decent desktop amps in general.
  3. Neutral flat colorless analong sound signature. (Might be boring fact but makes perfect sense when you have PEQ that allows you to tune it further for your liking and your chosen headphones)
  4. Decent battery life considering size
  5. No alternatives within this budget/features/power ratio at the moment.

Honestly, I'm looking foward to amps that will give focus more and more on software that will allow qustomize amp and use its power to tune sound for your liking. Imagine if amp software would include a high level tube sound emulator like a professional vst plugin inside of this thing or emulation or different tunings through software you could choose. PEQ and filters are a good start, but it can go so much further than that. That's the direction amps evolution I would like to see, not amp with its single locked subtle sound signature that you are buying and hope it will hit your specific expectations.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #234 of 761
Go alternatives for q15 is qudelix T71 i have it and i no regrets...lighter, usb peq,neutral but dynamic sound ,smaller and real 7.1 surround to tweak all chanels separately a dream device with 8vrmas and quad dac sabre...the only thing i miss is bluetooth but usb is better sound and connection....with bluetooth it will be best device for 300eur price range...for me this device is a game changer and Iintry many many good items like mojo 2,gryphone ifi, micro and....this is the same category but bitter features and smaller lighter with led screen...with all parameters...very nice qudelix...if don t need bluetooth is the cheaper and better option

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #235 of 761
Go alternatives for q15 is qudelix T71 i have it and i no regrets...lighter, usb peq,neutral but dynamic sound ,smaller and real 7.1 surround to tweak all chanels separately a dream device with 8vrmas and quad dac sabre...the only thing i miss is bluetooth but usb is better sound and connection....with bluetooth it will be best device for 300eur price range...for me this device is a game changer and Iintry many many good items like mojo 2,gryphone ifi, micro and....this is the same category but bitter features and smaller lighter with led screen...with all parameters...very nice qudelix...if don t need bluetooth is the cheaper and better option
Yeah I heard about this one and yeah missing bt is a bit bummer and its also hard to get in the place where I live. But yeah I heard many good things about T71 and its not surprising

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #237 of 761
For me the Q15 is a device which checks all boxes.
-PEQ
-Bluetooth
-4.4mm balanced connection
-Volume wheel
- Great Hardware and quality materials

I waited for a device like this for a long time and its the first device I ordered in an instance as it was available in my country.

I got my Q15 on Wednesday and even without burn in I already had some very sweet moments with my Audioquest Nighthawk and Denon AH-D 7200 both with 4.4 balanced cable.
With the Nighthawk it was even exceptional.

But PEQ was here the GAME CHANGER in both cases.

I was never a fan of the dark signiture of the Nighthawk. I even haded the upper Bass and lower mids pump.
But I liked how it rendered acoustic instruments and the deep bass capabilities.

With the Q15 i lowered the frequencies from 125hz to 500hz and it was a revalation.

IMG_0895.png

The sounds is detailed and has a beautiful holographic Soundstage with acoustic instruments.
Someone wrote it reminds him on the Cayin RU6 and i can confirm this. It has a wonderful analog flavor but the Q15 takes it to a better level. Its a pleasure with the Nighthawk and the EQ/PEQ settings.
And everything with Bluetooth from an iPhone!

With the Denon AH-D 7200 I lifted the high frequencies and i was already very good.

IMG_0901.png

Where Fiio definitely has to work on is the Controll App.
After i make the EQ settings and leave the EQ ( I go back to Main Menue) and return to the EQ settings all slider are back to zero!!
I seems like the PEQ settings are still there but the EQ settings are gone.

@FiiO: Please fix this and improve the PEQ further. The EQ/PEQ has already very good results sound wise!!

PEQ is the game changer here.

Thank you.

I have an Iphone XR
with IOS 17.2.1

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #238 of 761
I can connect to what you say about the Nighthawk - I once listened to it in a shop, but I didn't buy it because the tuning is so dark. However, I will never forget the experience :) Never heard a headphone so relaxing. Still thinking about a second hand model ... And yes, the Fiio might be exactly the tool to make it more versatilel!

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #239 of 761
Nighthawk is a dream in a world of analitical headphones in this era too bad some company still produces this type of sound relaxation
...only analitical crap in this market..zmr denon and Kennerton is only one can find good headphones but rarely relaxation like Nighthawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back