FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #211 of 794
Error message on windows: The driver DLL required to access the device is missing. When I try to do firmware update via windows 11. Tried both fw files. Looked hard to find instructions on the update process - noting. Can someone help me please? Fiios website and download is also super slow and their downloads don’t seem to work on chrome. Not sure what’s going on

* I found the instructions inside the downloaded file - silly me. However now it says update success with latest firmware, but when i check my Q15 it still says fw 1.49 instead of 1.66

Well thats weird 😅

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #214 of 794
It will PEQ for usb and skip track on usb mode with future firmware upgrade? For wilson
Q15 not support spatial audio like TWS.
Q15 will support PEQ for USB mode later but don't support skip track for usb mode in future.
Hello neobandog1. Wilson answered it a few pages back.
See quote.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #215 of 794
Any comparison to mojo 2 please? This dac has good specs and does it perform on the same level? I have seen issues with USB playback in this thread, are they resolved with the firmware updates?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #217 of 794
Fiio just updated their control app.. my custom Bluetooth PEQ is messed up lol.. the value not the same as from the EQ front interface vs when u enter the sub menu for custom PEQ settings..
anyone having same issue? 😂 it just shows flat Frequency

IMG_2735.png
IMG_2736.png

Attachments

• IMG_2734.png
    IMG_2734.png
    669 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #218 of 794
Any comparison to mojo 2 please? This dac has good specs and does it perform on the same level? I have seen issues with USB playback in this thread, are they resolved with the firmware updates?
I have both. Still reviewing.. Mojo 2 is very dependent on clean source, if both are tested with clean digital reclocked source/ddc - i feel Mojo 2 inches ahead, it has blacker background, less grain, smoothness and increased dynamics with a more holographic soundstage. Mojo 2 feels like discreet amplifier (which it is) when driving headphones as it doesn't introduce any grain or haze at all - which imo on the Q15 is only really noticeable when tested side by side with the Mojo.

The AKM dac of the Q15 does come through sometimes with a wider soundstage and nice analogue sounding mids, and less excitable more mature timbre, but I feel something is holding it back from unleashing - wether it's the digital section or lack of discreet circuitry, it just sounds a bit dry and unmotivated. Still going through a burn in however, let me give it more time...

Dont touch the EQ options if you plan on using USB.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #219 of 794
I tried the Q7 and it couldn't beat my Shozy Pola from balance bcz it just didn't have enough power :D
No one cares and will ever care about your pola whatever iem. As a matter of fact, thrust power 1600mW at 32ohm is more than sufficient to drive almost any IEMs or even headphones "dynamically", so stop whining over things that won't affect most of the people in the practical usage case. You really reminded me of the useless myth "more power the better". Also you really seem to have a great taste in the tonal aspect.

Attachments

• Pola-S2.jpg
    Pola-S2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #220 of 794
No one cares and will ever care about your pola whatever iem. As a matter of fact, thrust power 1600mW at 32ohm is more than sufficient to drive almost any IEMs or even headphones "dynamically", so stop whining over things that won't affect most of the people in the practical usage case. You really reminded me of the useless myth "more power the better". Also you really seem to have a great taste in the tonal aspect.
Thank you, for me these Pola are just an indicator of how powerful the device is.

Not in the sense that it is useless, but power can be calculated both by voltage OR current, so in some cases either the numbers are large but the feeling of power is low. or the numbers are very small but the power feels enormous(Questyle QPR2)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #221 of 794
Thank you, for me these Pola are just an indicator of how powerful the device is.

Not in the sense that it is useless, but power can be calculated both by voltage OR current, so in some cases either the numbers are large but the feeling of power is low. or the numbers are very small but the power feels enormous(Questyle QPR2)
Yeah, I agree that power rating can somehow be misleading, since it often doesn't differentiate with the sustained voltage or current. The Hiby FC6 has 100mW but it can go absurdly loud on picky IEMs like Symphonium Helios or Subtonic Storm.

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #222 of 794
I have both. Still reviewing.. Mojo 2 is very dependent on clean source, if both are tested with clean digital reclocked source/ddc - i feel Mojo 2 inches ahead, it has blacker background, less grain, smoothness and increased dynamics with a more holographic soundstage. Mojo 2 feels like discreet amplifier (which it is) when driving headphones as it doesn't introduce any grain or haze at all - which imo on the Q15 is only really noticeable when tested side by side with the Mojo.

The AKM dac of the Q15 does come through sometimes with a wider soundstage and nice analogue sounding mids, and less excitable more mature timbre, but I feel something is holding it back from unleashing - wether it's the digital section or lack of discreet circuitry, it just sounds a bit dry and unmotivated. Still going through a burn in however, let me give it more time...

Looking forward for your comparision. I just sent back the mojo 2 due to a charging issue. The place where I live the price difference between Mojo 2 and Q15 is 40$. So, I was just thinking if Q15 is a better choice if it performs well and also could save some money or just get a new Mojo 2 instead.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #223 of 794

Thank you so much for your description of the Q15's sound signature – "a bit dry and unmotivated" may be a bit hard, but yes, "something is holding it back from unleashing". I thought I was crazy because I wasn't completely thrilled ... Objectively, this device does quite everything perfectly well – wide soundstage, lots of detail and more than enough driving power. In that way, it outperforms my BTR7 easily (and it should). However, the BTR7 has some kind of punch that I don't find in the Q15, which seems quite a bit tame, which is particularly noticeable in the bass range.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #224 of 794
I would be willing to buy q15 if someone could describe me how better it is to qudelix 5k or btr7.
I have qudelix 5k and I use that with Hifiman Arya v2 which are planar headphones that are pretty hard to drive.
I use balanced cable which gives 230mw and I have to admit I have enough of volume to rarely ever go beyond 75% and that's including preamping for few decibels that I use to slightlly add low shelf bass.
So I don't need more volume, in q15 1600mw seems insanity to me, unless I get something else besides volume I don't know of. Like better dynamics, wider sense of soundstage or whatever I am not aware of.
Can someone describe me what would be audible difference to upgrade from something like btr5 btr7 qudelix 5k to this brick q15 or even q7 specifically from sound point of view. Also are those sound changes would be audible enough to notice them without doing extensive A/B comparison assuming the volume would match. In other words is this one of those, sounds better by 0.1% if you listen carefully so congrats on spending 399$ for sound upgrade that won't be noticed?

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #225 of 794
I would be willing to buy q15 if someone could describe me how better it is to qudelix 5k or btr7.
I have qudelix 5k and I use that with Hifiman Arya v2 which are planar headphones that are pretty hard to drive.
I use balanced cable which gives 230mw and I have to admit I have enough of volume to rarely ever go beyond 75% and that's including preamping for few decibels that I use to slightlly add low shelf bass.
So I don't need more volume, in q15 1600mw seems insanity to me, unless I get something else besides volume I don't know of. Like better dynamics, wider sense of soundstage or whatever I am not aware of.
Can someone describe me what would be audible difference to upgrade from something like btr5 btr7 qudelix 5k to this brick q15 or even q7 specifically from sound point of view. Also are those sound changes would be audible enough to notice them without doing extensive A/B comparison assuming the volume would match. In other words is this one of those, sounds better by 0.1% if you listen carefully so congrats on spending 399$ for sound upgrade that won't be noticed?
I'm in the same situation as you, I have the qudelix 5k +fiio fh9, after returning a g5 topping I'm starting to be skeptical, the g5 is better than the 5k by about 5% maybe even less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back