FIIO OTG Support Thread
Aug 6, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #61 of 111
  With Kingston DTHXP30/1TB not run. Constantly says to remove the external storage.

1TB USB stick.. wow... I'd recommend the 1TB Integral SSD, but the asking price is approx. 4x that of the 512GB.   Apparently Integral has the right USB controller to work with the X5 gen2.  But at the asking price that is beyond reasonable, I'd stick with 512GB or less.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #62 of 111

...Apparently Integral has the right USB controller to work with the X5 gen2.  But at the asking price that is beyond reasonable, I'd stick with 512GB or less.

I've got th X5ii with an Integral 512GB but I have problems. The "External storage inserted" message is followed shortly by "External storage removed" and nothing is found on the device. Sometimes the gap is long enough to see the files on the SSD, othertimes, near instantaneous.

The OTG works flawlessly with a Sandisk 128GB usb drive, and the Integral works flawlessly on my Android Nexus 7 OTG (same cables etc). 

Once the "External storage removed" message comes up on the X5ii, the Integral drive light blinks on & off. Possibly for ever, but I haven't left it that long. It has approx 270GB of FLACs on a vfat formatted disk.

Frustrating, grrrr. Hopefully firmware updates will sort this?

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #63 of 111
I still have to get otg cable, but wonna ask a question, that bothers me all the time.
X3, second gen. Some people think the player cannot format usb stick or a card
to fat32. On this forum I read some of you did it. How the very form on the device
looks like? Would I have a chance to make a choice between microsd card and
otg memory? At least, I'd not like to reformat my 128gb card.
Best regards all.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #64 of 111
There's really no difference as far as format for OTG. And I use exFat with no problems with micro sd's. Only problem is for firmware upgrades. Not saying it wouldn't work but I've never tried that and probably won't. My most stable OTG setup is using the PNY 256gb USB drive formatted as it came in Fat32. Adapters using micro sd's for OTG occasionally stop working wile playing and come up undetected but never with the thumb drive.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #65 of 111
I was wondering if I could format usb stick, using x3? There might be a form of
some sort, or not. If it exists, would you, please, make a picture with included
otg cable? I mean: format -> choose sc/otg or else.
I will format the stick on unix box into f32. Have a little problem getting the cable,
but eventually it would arrive.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #66 of 111
  I've got th X5ii with an Integral 512GB but I have problems. The "External storage inserted" message is followed shortly by "External storage removed" and nothing is found on the device. Sometimes the gap is long enough to see the files on the SSD, othertimes, near instantaneous.

The OTG works flawlessly with a Sandisk 128GB usb drive, and the Integral works flawlessly on my Android Nexus 7 OTG (same cables etc). 

Once the "External storage removed" message comes up on the X5ii, the Integral drive light blinks on & off. Possibly for ever, but I haven't left it that long. It has approx 270GB of FLACs on a vfat formatted disk.

Frustrating, grrrr. Hopefully firmware updates will sort this?

Possibly the format - I have use the Integral 512GB SSD for approx. 2 months and have >300GB on it.  No problems so far.  I'm using FAT32 though - seems to work well.   I do like the idea of going smaller (USB stick) but the cost is higher the smaller you go with things.. only gripe I have the small SSD is the cabling ends up being larger then the unit - by having to convert from OTG 3.0 to OTG 2.0 through a USB.  Potentially minimizing this wiring (especially the male-female bulge) by having the OTG 2.0-3.0 cable made up custom would probably do well (both could be right angled too to minimize cable hang).  But this is what we deal with to go high-end audio with our equipment. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #67 of 111

Possibly the format <snip>

My bad, I used vfat loosely, it is FAT32, or at least my Linux box says it is. So I'm a bit stumped. I initially put one album on it & it showed up on the OTG menu, so I thought great! And filled it up. No joy after that. Frustrating, esp reading about your success. I don't think anything is wrong with the drive, it works perfectly on all other devices & OSes. It would be useful to compare h/w to see if there are any differences

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #68 of 111
Hi. I am using OTG in my Fiio X5 2nd Gen. I play tracks through "Browse files" option. My question is, is there any way to play tracks continuously? or you really have to press next button to play the next track? Am I missing to select an option for that?
Thanks! 

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #70 of 111
I don't have the X5 but with the X3 that was an issue with the latest beta. The new stable firmware fixed that issue. Maybe try different firmware.

Thanks! I'm actually using the latest firmware for the X5ii, maybe they will update the firmware to solve this.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #71 of 111
Hi. I am using OTG in my Fiio X5 2nd Gen. I play tracks through "Browse files" option. My question is, is there any way to play tracks continuously? or you really have to press next button to play the next track? Am I missing to select an option for that?

I do it via "folders" on x3 sec.
Btw, how did you format otg source? On a computer or with x5?

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #73 of 111
I was reading this thread some time ago and got the impression that not all OTG adapters will work with the FiiO X3ii.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but all this OTG business seemed very complicated to me.

Anyways I ordered a cheap OTG stick from AE some time ago (because it was cheap and worth trying)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Micro-OTG-TF-SD-Card-Reader-USB-2-0-2-Slots-PC-Phone-Micro-Memory/32359199496.html

I don't know if the seller has changed the description since my purchase. Right now the seller claims
supports high-speed large -capacity SDXC, micro SDXC memory card, up to 128GB. 

But on the back of my package it reads
 Support memory card: Up to 32G Byte (sic!)

Anyhow I had a spare SanDisk Ultra Android 64 GB microSDXC lying around at home
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Android-microSDXC-Adapter-Version/dp/B013UDL58E/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1451164054&sr=1-1&keywords=SanDisk+Ultra+Android+64+GB+microSDXC

I filled the card to around 75% and popped the OTG stick into the X3ii and it played my library right away. So apparently there is no 32 GB limit to the stick.
Sometimes it feels good that stuff are not as complicated as it seems at first.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #74 of 111
The OTG in mine no longer works , or if it does only for a little bit. I've tried various software versions, adapters, micro sd's, and thumb drives that previously worked fine. Nothing now. Plug works normally on every thing else like charging and accessible through the PC. After contact was told Fiio never officially supported OTG in the X3 gen2 and would probably take it out in future software. That pretty much is a deal breaker for me since my primary sources are DSD.  So now regrettable looking elsewhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back