FIIO OTG Support Thread
Jul 7, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #46 of 111

I have a integral 512gb SSD on my X5 (gen 1) with about 15000 tracks (about 400gb) and it worked fine until the USB socket packed in. it seems like Fiio are going backwards with OTG support if it can't handle 200gb / 8600 files.

I was very irritated to find it wouldn't scan the OTG storage into the library on the X5 - is the X3 gen II the same?

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #47 of 111

I have a integral 512gb SSD on my X5 (gen 1) with about 15000 tracks (about 400gb) and it worked fine until the USB socket packed in. it seems like Fiio are going backwards with OTG support if it can't handle 200gb / 8600 files.

I was very irritated to find it wouldn't scan the OTG storage into the library on the X5 - is the X3 gen II the same?

OTG can't be scanned into the library for playlist mode on the X3 gen2.  That would be good if it could, but the file limit would be surely hit - missing tracks.  Either way, the OTG access is there - they should allow you to use it as you can. 

I'll continue to work with my issue with the 512GB SSD on the X3 gen 2. I'll discover where the limit is. It was my hope that (with your results on the X5) that I could get similar results.  I'd like to take my library OTG and figured Fiio gave us that option if you were willing to get the appropriate adapter. I have also contacted Fiio for some more info on it - perhaps there is limits that they have not discussed yet.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #48 of 111

I did ask Fiio about why OTG storage couldn't scan into library. It was clear that they hadn't anticipated people using OTG an a permanent or semi permanent basis. They said they were worried that each time somebody disconnected or connected their OTG storage the device might go into long automatic library scans, thus annoying the hell out of users. No mention was made to me of file limits. I think it would be easy to add an option into the menu where you could choose if OTG was scanned or not each time a scan is run. Simple.

Fiio (and nearly all the other DAP manufacturers) don't seem to realise that capacity is a massive selling point. With hi res files being so large, you need huge capacity to hold a decent sized collection, and swapping cards in and out is a complete pain in the butt (Pono are you listening). Getting OTG storage working in exactly the same way as the TF cards would be a big advantage for Fiio. If they can't get OTG to work properly, then give us 4 card slots and we can then decent capacity that way.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #49 of 111
I did ask Fiio about why OTG storage couldn't scan into library. It was clear that they hadn't anticipated people using OTG an a permanent or semi permanent basis. They said they were worried that each time somebody disconnected or connected their OTG storage the device might go into long automatic library scans, thus annoying the hell out of users. No mention was made to me of file limits. I think it would be easy to add an option into the menu where you could choose if OTG was scanned or not each time a scan is run. Simple.

Fiio (and nearly all the other DAP manufacturers) don't seem to realise that capacity is a massive selling point. With hi res files being so large, you need huge capacity to hold a decent sized collection, and swapping cards in and out is a complete pain in the butt (Pono are you listening). Getting OTG storage working in exactly the same way as the TF cards would be a big advantage for Fiio. If they can't get OTG to work properly, then give us 4 card slots and we can then decent capacity that way.

Completely agree. Add a toggle to scan OTG to the library or not. I mentioned this numerous times in other threads. Hopefully FiiO is listening.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #50 of 111
Regarding capacity as I've mentioned here earlier I am still using a 256gb PNY thumb drive through a Monoprice otg to usb adapter with no issues whatsoever. In fact, works better than micro sd's where i get occasional stuttering.
The stuttering is probably the adapter in that case but just a guess. Also from Monoprice but had to return one that failed and replacement a bit unreliable. A cheap one off ebay worked better.
I am only using Hi Res (mostly 24/192) and DSD files. The 256gb is all DSD

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #54 of 111
Well apparently the 512GB (pocket vault) SSD had issues.  I tried bringing the file count down and the size down to where it was previously and had no luck getting the X3 gen 2 to find any files on it.  I updated to the 1.11beta , factory reset the X3, and FAT32 formatted the 512GB SSD and started fresh.  I added about 60 GB of files  (about 2000 files) before testing on the X3.  Initially the X3 failed to see any files - even with several different attempts of power cycles. 

I wasn't going to give up though as it seemed to be something else involved in the process.  So I tried going to the about screen - to view capacity and the like.  It appears that that (along with approx.30 seconds of powered up time) allowed the X3 gen 2 to refresh and find the files on the OTG SSD.  Something appears to have reset to allow the OTG device because every time thereafter powering up allowed the SSD to be seen.  I have then continued to fill it up to over 230GB and 10k in files and it continues to see the SSD just fine.  So apparently there isn't a limit on files on the X3 gen 2 in file browse mode at least.  Now this is what I was looking for - a device that has a large capacity for high def audio (that typically takes up 4-5 times or more then lossy formats).  That way I you don't have to swap SD cards .. your library is OTG!

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #55 of 111
  Well apparently the 512GB (pocket vault) SSD had issues.  I tried bringing the file count down and the size down to where it was previously and had no luck getting the X3 gen 2 to find any files on it.  I updated to the 1.11beta , factory reset the X3, and FAT32 formatted the 512GB SSD and started fresh.  I added about 60 GB of files  (about 2000 files) before testing on the X3.  Initially the X3 failed to see any files - even with several different attempts of power cycles. 

I wasn't going to give up though as it seemed to be something else involved in the process.  So I tried going to the about screen - to view capacity and the like.  It appears that that (along with approx.30 seconds of powered up time) allowed the X3 gen 2 to refresh and find the files on the OTG SSD.  Something appears to have reset to allow the OTG device because every time thereafter powering up allowed the SSD to be seen.  I have then continued to fill it up to over 230GB and 10k in files and it continues to see the SSD just fine.  So apparently there isn't a limit on files on the X3 gen 2 in file browse mode at least.  Now this is what I was looking for - a device that has a large capacity for high def audio (that typically takes up 4-5 times or more then lossy formats).  That way I you don't have to swap SD cards .. your library is OTG!

Just as an update - seems like the 512GB Pocket Vault is very temperamental with the X3 gen 2.  When I started filling it up, it worked - but when I hit around 70%, it just plain stopped seeing it on the X3 gen 2.   I have tried variations on how to start it, but none get it seen by the system at this point.  It continues to give the initial 5 flashes and then goes dormant when the X3 is either powered on, or the device is introduced (plugged in).  I even deleted the partition and started fresh to see if that would help (worked the first round).  It may be the file count - I approached 19,000+, but I doubt it as any size should be accepted as long as it can be read.  On any PC, the unit works flawless.

I'm also thinking of working with some USB flash/HDD utilities that work with initialization/bootup coding.  This seems to be where the X3 & the Pocket Vault don't get along - it's the initialization portion that fails.  I"ll update on down the road when I have some solid testing in hand.  It is just strange that a device that was working well at one level doesn't work completely through. 

Obviously this is a unsupported area from Fiio - I didn't even get a response form them on anything to do with OTG.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #56 of 111
I'm curious as to what kind of battery life successful OTG users are getting?  I get 7.5 hours if I use my Transcend/ X3II, so i'm losing 3.5 to 4 hours of use.  I'd probably get more if I didn't have the flashing light on the Transcend.  How about the rest of you?

Thanks

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #57 of 111
With regard to battery life, I often find that the batteries are being drained when OTG is connected even when I thought the unit was in standby mode.  So my suggestion is to unplug OTG in those scenarios.  I would try that and see where battery life stands.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #58 of 111
Im still getting around 10 hrs using the PNY 256gb with the flashing led on the thumb drive. But you have to factor in I'm using a SE535 and its an easier load than rated power estimates.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #59 of 111
As an up to date on my OTG experience with the X3 gen 2, I received a reply from FIIO support many weeks later:

"To be honest, the OTG function of the X3 2nd gen is not as good as X5 1st gen, and X3 2nd gen may be not compatible some SSD external hard driver like X5."

This leads me to believe that the USB OTG driver is different on the X3 gen 2 then the X5 gen 1.  I'm guessing that this is due to production - the USB driver chip was not available for continued long term production so they had to switch.  Its too bad they couldn't have also kept up with the most recent standard (USB 3.0), but that's just to transfer to the internal card.  For full speed, you can still pull the card and use an external USB3 card reader/ to do the job.

I have also switched to using the same SSD as was originally recommended here on the OTG forum (Integral 512GB).  It so far has had zero problems with the X3 gen 2 - even with a lot of files.  So in my case, the PocketVault's USB controller is at issue  - it doesn't work well with the OTG support on the X3 gen 2.  However, the Integral's seems to work great.  Unfortunately the Integral is more expensive (hard to get cheap) but it appears to solve the issue and is still more cost effective then a SD card (which are overpriceded on a per-GB level).

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #60 of 111
With Kingston DTHXP30/1TB not run. Constantly says to remove the external storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back