FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #1,651 of 3,739
I use HD650s and don't find them dark with anything, save my (departed) Woo WA6 tube amp. 
I use them with the E7, E17, and Arrow, all set flat, and find them fine. 
Of course, I have a couple of minor mods: Cardas Clear Light cables, and removed the foam.  
(For reference, I like flat (not boosted) or slightly soft treble, neutral to slightly warm midrange (voice), and flat to slightly warm bass.)

Can someone point me to the E12 review(s)?  

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,652 of 3,739
Quote:
I use HD650s and don't find them dark with anything, save my (departed) Woo WA6 tube amp. 
I use them with the E7, E17, and Arrow, all set flat, and find them fine. 
Of course, I have a couple of minor mods: Cardas Clear Light cables, and removed the foam.  
(For reference, I like flat (not boosted) or slightly soft treble, neutral to slightly warm midrange (voice), and flat to slightly warm bass.)

Can someone point me to the E12 review(s)?  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650683/fiio-e12-mont-blanc-review-and-help-thread

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,653 of 3,739
For those in the UK ea-audio are now taking pre-booking orders for the E12 at £109.99 for delivery in April. They only have limited stock though. 

They are an approved dealer though if you look on the FiiO web site.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,654 of 3,739
Just read your E12 review again (it's been a while). Great review, and basically mirrors how I feel about the E12 with my AD900X's.

Thank you! I recently had people suggest that I ought to try the new AD900X, since I'm a longtime AD700 user... PM me if you wrote a review on your headphone?

Stoney,
I believe I have my E12 review linked in my signature, posted on Head-Fi's E12 Mont Blanc product page? Also, Gavin linked his review on this thread page 38, and CiieOS has his short review amongst his over-$100-amp-shoot out. Boweii009 has a review up too, I think, but I don't know where (hopefully also on the product page like mine). Edit: just read Boweii's review for the first time, Hutnicks linked it above. I applaud the effort he put into his review, looks like there is a whole gamut in review styles on the E12 now :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,655 of 3,739
Evshrug, I'll pm you my thoughts and semi review of my 900x as I also upgraded from the 700 :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,657 of 3,739
And here I thought objectivism died with Ayn Rand.  There's merit to both arguments, the problem with objectiveists is they run into a road block when it comes to the psycho acoustic model as science has not yet explained that sufficiently well to determine why we have a preference to one sound or another.

"I think a very strong objectivist slant is damaging to ones appreciation of the subtleties of the listening experience. None the less, I'd rather have an objectivist design my gear than a subjectivist who thinks there's some sort of magic in the box.
I like the O2 for the price, and it does measure very well. But it's a bit lifeless and dry sounding. Don't ask me why." - Tyll @ reddit Q&A

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,659 of 3,739
"I think a very strong objectivist slant is damaging to ones appreciation of the subtleties of the listening experience. None the less, I'd rather have an objectivist design my gear than a subjectivist who thinks there's some sort of magic in the box.
I like the O2 for the price, and it does measure very well. But it's a bit lifeless and dry sounding. Don't ask me why." - Tyll @ reddit Q&A

You've completely ruined audio for me!

I had always assumed that there was a demon in the magic box!

Guess I was wrong........:mad:

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,660 of 3,739
Quote:

I think you are confusing subjectivists with Luddites :) I think the designer need be a little of both. Something can actually measure out perfectly and sound as appealing as fingernails on a blackboard.

Amps and headphones all behave differently so I am not surprised to hear an O2 (or any other amp) essentially adding nothing of merit to a given system You can have the same reaction with DACs as well the wrong one can kill a headphones sound
. On the other end of the spectrum is the Sony MDR V3 headphone, which funnily enough on its own sounds exactly half as good as a V6 in all arenas. Plug it into just about any amp and you have to take them off your head to believe they are the same headphones you put on.

The good news (well not that good if you spent the money already to own the O2) is that you now have a pretty good idea in which direction to go with an amp to suit your application

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,661 of 3,739
Quote:
You might actually be right...
Could you elaborate on "weird with the ES7 on high gain?" And by can't drive, do you mean it's quiet?

yep it cant drive on low gain because of sensitivity, my es7's sensitivity is too darn low for an SFI (ortho/planar) driver. too much damping maybe~ max volume of the sony F800 is louder than max volume of E12 at lowgain through the sony's lineout

it sounds weird on high gain maybe because i am hearing this somewhat distorted sound. not that distorted with odd sounds like "bzzz" or "shhh" sounds though, maybe grainy is one of those words, but worse.

it might have been a problem with the headphone itself though, i recently recabled it with and it is giving me problems after that. i think the problem is related to the soldering job so that "wierd sound" may have to change once i fix the es7.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,663 of 3,739
Quote:

yep it cant drive on low gain because of sensitivity, my es7's sensitivity is too darn low for an SFI (ortho/planar) driver. too much damping maybe~ max volume of the sony F800 is louder than max volume of E12 at lowgain through the sony's lineout

it sounds weird on high gain maybe because i am hearing this somewhat distorted sound. not that distorted with odd sounds like "bzzz" or "shhh" sounds though, maybe grainy is one of those words, but worse.

it might have been a problem with the headphone itself though, i recently recabled it with and it is giving me problems after that. i think the problem is related to the soldering job so that "wierd sound" may have to change once i fix the es7.

If you're listening to Taylor Swift that weird sound is actually her singing voice......
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,664 of 3,739
9, Can be used while charging.

Would be the ONLY reason I upgrade from the E11.  Hmmm.  With 111 pages, had to have been said already .... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,665 of 3,739
Quote:

If you're listening to Taylor Swift that weird sound is actually her singing voice......
wink_face.gif

Isn't she justin beiber with boobs?
Quote:
9, Can be used while charging.

Would be the ONLY reason I upgrade from the E11.  Hmmm.  With 111 pages, had to have been said already .... 
biggrin.gif

Cannot seem to recall
confused.gif

But I am dreaming of an exchange/upgrade program for us poor underappreciated E11 owners
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back