FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,636 of 3,739
The standard wall wart doesn't drive it loud enough?
The current output is limited by the Op Amps.
A higher output voltgage wall wart will probably make very little difference, I suspect.

I'm just telling you what the O2 fanatics have told me.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,637 of 3,739
I'm just telling you what the O2 fanatics have told me.

NP.
I'm just asking, it's not supposed to be a criticism! :wink:

I saw Bill P's reply in the other E12 thread. :D

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,641 of 3,739
got my E12 since last week. i think i dont need to give more impressions since i pretty much agree with most of the impressions here--- except that the e12 cant drive my 32ohm ortho ES7 using low gain, and it sounds abit wierd on high gain.

/me goes back to lurking mode

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,642 of 3,739
Time to change your transmission fluid!

You might actually be right...

got my E12 since last week. i think i dont need to give more impressions since i pretty much agree with most of the impressions here--- except that the e12 cant drive my 32ohm ortho ES7 using low gain, and it sounds abit wierd on high gain.

/me goes back to lurking mode

Could you elaborate on "weird with the ES7 on high gain?" And by can't drive, do you mean it's quiet?

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,646 of 3,739
Quote:
Does anyone use E12 to drive HD650-s? Has it got enough juice to power these cans?

I'm assuming yes, but I can't confirm it for sure. I think someone said it drives their HD650's just fine *don't quote me on that*.
Quote:
Listening to it right now! It certainly does make the HD650's sound a lot better, much more engaging and with better bass and treble. I'm really glad I waited for the more powerful E12; it seems perfectly suited for these phones. Without the amp, my Zune plays the HD650's nice and loud at 25/30 on the volume bar. With the amp on high gain, it will play them at 15/30 (although a lower volume is more comfortable, especially for extended listening). As the other reviewers have noted, the build of the E12 is very nice, but the recessed buttons are slightly annoying (not a big deal). What really surprised me is how much I like the bass boost. I didn't think that I would use it, but I think I'll keep it on all the time. It actually doesn't seem to make any difference on the songs that don't have a lot of deep bass, but on the songs that have sub bass it compensates quite well for the HD650's low end rolloff without adding coloration. It really seems like this amp was made for the HD650's.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,647 of 3,739
Quote:
Does anyone use E12 to drive HD650-s? Has it got enough juice to power these cans?

It does so just fine. I plugged an HD 650 into my E12 at the SF Bay Area Meet.

However, I don't think you'll like the sound. HD 650 has a dark sound already, and E12 just makes it overbearing. I think you'll want a clean amp (like O2) for HD 650.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,649 of 3,739
^^
*shrug* I don't have the HD650, but in general the headphone has been described as having a laid-back sound. The E12 won't change that substantially. One trouble I have is people use "dark" to describe different things... If the HD650 has treble roll-off or just not much treble "sparkle" or brightness, the E12 probably won't change that. My Q701s still have sparkle without being too harsh (tho some poorly recorded songs sound harsh anyway), and my AD700 still had sparkle the one time I combo'd it with the Mont Blanc. If Bill-P meant dark in another way... I will just shrug and say it hasn't been a problem with my headphones, maybe someday I'll hear what he means with an HD650 but I'm not going to worry about it.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,650 of 3,739
Quote:
^^
*shrug* I don't have the HD650, but in general the headphone has been described as having a laid-back sound. The E12 won't change that substantially. One trouble I have is people use "dark" to describe different things... If the HD650 has treble roll-off or just not much treble "sparkle" or brightness, the E12 probably won't change that. My Q701s still have sparkle without being too harsh (tho some poorly recorded songs sound harsh anyway), and my AD700 still had sparkle the one time I combo'd it with the Mont Blanc. If Bill-P meant dark in another way... I will just shrug and say it hasn't been a problem with my headphones, maybe someday I'll hear what he means with an HD650 but I'm not going to worry about it.

Just read your E12 review again (it's been a while). Great review, and basically mirrors how I feel about the E12 with my AD900X's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back