FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #721 of 3,739
Quote:
What's the point of crossfeed?  Doesn't that just decrease the soundstage?  Crosstalk is something that's tried to be minimized as much as possible and now here is this function which is intentional.  I don't get it...

Crosstalk is like tires of a car. Some like big tires, some like some ones.

It isn't something everyone needs to try to minimize or get rid of. 

This is a good post by Leckerton on it:
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/2010/09/what-is-headphone-crossfeed/

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #722 of 3,739
Quote:
What's the point of crossfeed?  Doesn't that just decrease the soundstage?  Crosstalk is something that's tried to be minimized as much as possible and now here is this function which is intentional.  I don't get it...

It's for severely stereo recordings that have sounds that come out of only one channel. It can be pretty annoying to listen to recordings like that when the drums are only on one side and the guitars are only on the other etc. Crossfeed mixes the channels a little so it's not flat like mono but it's not annoying. Other than those type of recordings, though, I don't like the way it sounds.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #723 of 3,739
Subbed
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #727 of 3,739
Quote:
FiiO E12 unboxing is up

Nice video panda man. The E12 is actually a little bigger then I thought it was after seeing you holding it. It seems to be on the cusp of me not considering it a portable size, it looks bigger then something I'd normally want to carry around with me on the bus or while being out in general. 

I wonder how long it will be until Fiio considers making an amp/dac not in the portable catagory, because the size of the E12 really seems to be pushing it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #728 of 3,739
Quote:
Nice video panda man. The E12 is actually a little bigger then I thought it was after seeing you holding it. It seems to be on the cusp of me not considering it a portable size, it looks bigger then something I'd normally want to carry around with me on the bus or while being out in general. 

I wonder how long it will be until Fiio considers making an amp/dac not in the portable catagory, because the size of the E12 really seems to be pushing it.

Mabe. In real life after it is all stacked and everything, it isn't that big

How long? Minus 2 years long

The E10 is FiiO's only desktop DAC/Amp an the E9 and E09K is FiiO's desktop amp.

Thank for the complments.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #731 of 3,739
Quote:
Crosstalk is like tires of a car. Some like big tires, some like some ones.

It isn't something everyone needs to try to minimize or get rid of. 

This is a good post by Leckerton on it:
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/2010/09/what-is-headphone-crossfeed/

Oh yeah, the best point to make about anything.  It's subjective; it's subjective!  That analogy made no sense by the way...  In any case, thanks for the link.

Quote:
It's for severely stereo recordings that have sounds that come out of only one channel. It can be pretty annoying to listen to recordings like that when the drums are only on one side and the guitars are only on the other etc. Crossfeed mixes the channels a little so it's not flat like mono but it's not annoying. Other than those type of recordings, though, I don't like the way it sounds.

Hmm, yeah, I guess it would make sense for that.  For something like The Beatles though where a lot of their stereo stuff is split into hard left and hard right, I really like that.  It's very enjoyable, especially when in contrast to other stuff.  I've never actually seen a stereo recording playing back only a mono track through one channel.  I simply wouldn't have that crap at all if I came across it even.  It just seems like the space which that takes up could've been put to better use or to no use at all.  On a big sized amp I guess it wouldn't matter but in this case, I guess I'm still having a hard time seeing the point... 

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Reading over the link, it's cool that it actually tries to simulate time delay between the two ears as well but then that could very easily introduce phasing into the signal and in general, unless it truly fools me into thinking that I'm listening to speakers, it's kinda just a gimmick.  It's cool though and I don't mind the inclusion of it on the amp now if it does this well.
beyersmile.png

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #732 of 3,739
Quote:

Those are voltage step up noise from the power switching circuit. To get the full benefit from the opamp, E12 must runs on very high voltage with a true dual-supply. The original idea was the AAA Li-ion batteries pack that give +/-14V that needed to be charge separately, but it was discarded in flavour of the current +/-11V batteries setup (there was a vote / opinion gathering of some sort if any of you remember) - lower in voltage, but still high enough to do the job, and can be charged by USB. However, to get the 5V USB charging to work on a +/-11V system, you will need a step up circuit and like any circuit of this kind, they tend to be noisy. In exchange however, we are spared from carrying a dedicated charger or the inability to use when charging. I'll say it is a compromise for the better.

Ah, thanks for the clarity on the slight noise from the power switching circuit. Sometimes this is a little noticeable on my e5, too. It's not a big deal and sometimes I listened to my E5 while charging (I haven't charged my E12 yet), but I prefer not listening during charging.

I do remember the battery vote, I voted for a charging scheme similar to the E11 because I have been annoyed by non-replaceable batteries going dead in devices in the past, like my first iPod. I also don't like the charging noise and would rather wait. That said, those are just my preferences, and a lot of people agree with your view that this is a better compromise. Not a big deal either way, though I think I want to use my E12 longer than Gavinfabi :wink:
------

Boweii,
I like your unboxing video too :D I think I forgot to show the 3.5mm connector cable in mine, and when I posted my video here I didn't know how to make it display in-post from my iPad.
------

Typhoon,
I think the analogy he was trying to make was "some people like big tires, some like small tires." If you live in the country, you might like big tires on a truck to help you get out of mud and snow, if you live in the city small tires are nicer on fuel efficiency.

In any case the feature is there if you want it, but you can switch it off if you don't. I can think of a few songs where I'd really like some crossfeed (mostly pop songs, new and old), but mostly I'll leave it off. No harm done :D
------

Mani ATH 87,
My mother's Android cellphone is bigger than the E12. Unless you are hiking all day and every ounce of weight is important to you, the E12 is compact enough to fit with an iPod Classic in my back jeans pockets. If your pocket can hold a wallet and phone simultaneously, you can probably fit an E12 and PMP together in there. The wiring might be a little tricky though (I still think straight plugs are least likely to become unplugged in pocket), and of course any PMP strapped to an amp is going to make a bulge in your pocket.
It's not perfect, nor as convenient as an E6, but the E12 is definitely portable and transportable.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #733 of 3,739
My mother's Android cellphone is bigger than the E12. Unless you are hiking all day and every ounce of weight is important to you, the E12 is compact enough to fit with an iPod Classic in my back jeans pockets. If your pocket can hold a wallet and phone simultaneously, you can probably fit an E12 and PMP together in there. The wiring might be a little tricky though (I still think straight plugs are least likely to become unplugged in pocket), and of course any PMP strapped to an amp is going to make a bulge in your pocket.
It's not perfect, nor as convenient as an E6, but the E12 is definitely portable and transportable.

A printer like the form one would be cool for making custom personalized cases. DIY parts to match up, clip on, and form around having a amp and phone together :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #734 of 3,739
Quote:
Hmm, yeah, I guess it would make sense for that.  For something like The Beatles though where a lot of their stereo stuff is split into hard left and hard right, I really like that.  It's very enjoyable, especially when in contrast to other stuff.  I've never actually seen a stereo recording playing back only a mono track through one channel.  I simply wouldn't have that crap at all if I came across it even.  It just seems like the space which that takes up could've been put to better use or to no use at all.  On a big sized amp I guess it wouldn't matter but in this case, I guess I'm still having a hard time seeing the point...

Actually, that was exactly what I had in mind when I wrote that. I almost can't stand listening to some of the crappy recording the Beatles did in their early years with headphones. Crossfeed is an improvement for songs like Taxman IMO.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #735 of 3,739
Quote:
Ah, thanks for the clarity on the slight noise from the power switching circuit. Sometimes this is a little noticeable on my e5, too. It's not a big deal and sometimes I listened to my E5 while charging (I haven't charged my E12 yet), but I prefer not listening during charging.

I do remember the battery vote, I voted for a charging scheme similar to the E11 because I have been annoyed by non-replaceable batteries going dead in devices in the past, like my first iPod. I also don't like the charging noise and would rather wait. That said, those are just my preferences, and a lot of people agree with your view that this is a better compromise. Not a big deal either way, though I think I want to use my E12 longer than Gavinfabi :wink:
------

Typhoon,
I think the analogy he was trying to make was "some people like big tires, some like small tires." If you live in the country, you might like big tires on a truck to help you get out of mud and snow, if you live in the city small tires are nicer on fuel efficiency.

Noise is only added when it's plugged in right?  Does it change the signal in any other way? 

And also, I got the analogy..  It was just a really bad one only implying some abstract level of subjectivity by comparing things completely irrelevant to one another. 

Quote:

Actually, that was exactly what I had in mind when I wrote that. I almost can't stand listening to some of the crappy recording the Beatles did in their early years with headphones. Crossfeed is an improvement for songs like Taxman IMO.

I thought you might've meant that. There are different masters of those records so it depends which ones you're listening to. I'm referring to the 24-bit remastered stereo ones. I like how those sound despite their hard left and hard right mix.  With compensation of time it takes for sound to travel between two ears kept in mind, I'd be interested to listen to how some of that stuff sounds like.  This is keeping in mind of course that if that is what an engineer wanted, he/she would've done it to begin with, maybe for a kind of spacing distribution.  If an engineer (or artist) simply didn't even understand these kind of concepts when mixing to begin with, well then that's just how it is and that's how it sounds like.  I don't believe in "correcting" that, same as I don't believe in altering the mix/master in any other way.  This is just as integral to the song as is the composition.  There's so much proof of that.  In the end, it would be like adding harmonies to a song which doesn't have any, even if it feels like it needs them or would benefit from them.  If it's crap without it, then it's crap, and you move on.  It's how everyone else will theoretically hear it too.

I'm not arguing vs. your use of it by the way - just saying...  In your case and where you say you like it to be on, (as I've said, I'm curious in trying it myself) it actually doesn't have much to do with the things I was describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back