FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Nov 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #273 of 3,739
I liked the O2 with the Q701. The E12 to the O2 is a compltely different thing. The E12 is a portable headphone amp. The O2 is an amplfiifer that can be fitted into a slightly larger than wallet sized chasis with batteries, not something you can strap to a phone easily that the majority would want to do. 

Edit: Just realized I hit a magical 16k number! :) Yay! Self congrats pat on the back initiating.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #274 of 3,739
Quote:
I liked the O2 with the Q701. The E12 to the O2 is a compltely different thing. The E12 is a portable headphone amp. The O2 is an amplfiifer that can be fitted into a slightly larger than wallet sized chasis with batteries, not something you can strap to a phone easily that the majority would want to do. 

Edit: Just realized I hit a magical 16k number! :) Yay! Self congrats pat on the back initiating.

And yet, according to the specs, the E12 might be even more powerful than the O2. I'm looking forward to some reviews and comparisons when this eventually comes out.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #275 of 3,739
Quote:
And yet, according to the specs, the E12 might be even more powerful than the O2. I'm looking forward to some reviews and comparisons when this eventually comes out.

Yes, it should be more powerful than O2, especially on battery.  It has an 11V battery (and generating -11V from that, most likely), as opposed to the 9V (8.4V) batteries in the O2.  And for the output stage, it seems like it will use LME49600 (or BUF634), which should have more output capability at lower impedances than two NJM4556 in parallel like the O2 has.

Now, whether or not anybody listens at these deafening volumes is a different matter.

As for any other aspects, it's still a wait-and-see thing, I agree.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #278 of 3,739
Had actually tried both iPhone 5 & iTouch 5 > Lightning to 32 pins adapter > L3 > E11 > SE535 ... but the hissing is very pronounce 
basshead.gif
compared with iPhone 4 & iTouch 4 > L3 > E11 > SE535
atsmile.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #279 of 3,739
Quote:
Had actually tried both iPhone 5 & iTouch 5 > Lightning to 32 pins adapter > L3 > E11 > SE535 ... but the hissing is very pronounce 
basshead.gif
compared with iPhone 4 & iTouch 4 > L3 > E11 > SE535
atsmile.gif

that is what we are worry about. anyway, Apple does not means everything, and now seems they just take care money but not customer. too sad to see that, Jobs, plz come back to see what happen now. :) 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #282 of 3,739
Quote:

that is what we are worry about. anyway, Apple does not means everything, and now seems they just take care money but not customer. too sad to see that, Jobs, plz come back to see what happen now. :) 

It would be worth a premium if you could manufacturer a "lightning" version of the L9 for Iphone 5 or if someone else will offer to provide a cleaner connection.  I imagine all portable amp companies will have a similar issue.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #283 of 3,739
Quote:
Also, if I purchase an Iphone 5, will the E12 be compatible with it through my L9 adapter and the digital output adapter or will FiiO offer a new digital adapter?

After reading through the posts, it appears this question was already answered in post #186, so the answer is yes to compatibility through the lightning adapter to 30-pin connector and L9.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #285 of 3,739
Can't wait until december. Going to use the E12 to destroy a pair of cheap earbuds. I've always wondered what a pair of earbuds being destroyed by excessive power looks like. Similar experiments done on speakers produced an awesome looking result.

The experiment is going to be done in the backyard, so flying earbud drivers or whatever won't hurt anyone. Going to pop off one of the covers for the earbuds if possible. Not sure if I should video this or take before and after pictures. Now obviously the earbud will be driven far beyond tolerable listening volumes, so it'll be interesting to hear what kind distortion I'm going to get too.

This won't damage my E12 right?

Edit: I think I'll need to include a note saying that normal usage with the E12 won't cause earphones to blow up, just in case someone gets confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back