FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Nov 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,211 of 3,739
Yes :D
Paypal tries always to steer you in using the bank account (I have both bank account and CC), for obvious reasons.
I ordered my E12 from BHPhotoVideo. $129 shipped, very fast shipped.

Mm, just learned that now but I will go to hell and back to get my money, even if I have to call them back every day.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,213 of 3,739

Very weird.

I glanced at the ad in your post and for several seconds could have sworn it was written in German.

What gives?

More like a bad translation from Chinese to English. I can imagine what was intended.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #3,215 of 3,739
I bought an E12 for my SE846 to see what the HF response of that IEM would be with a very low impedance output amplifier.  The E12 is advertised with an output impedance of < 0.1 ohms, which is great for an IEM with as low and non-linear an impedance as the SE846.  There was a noticeable increase in HF compared to my normal iPhone 6 output.  The rest of that story is better related in the SE846 thread.

But, one characteristic of the E12 needs to be emphasized.  It's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I didn't read it before purchasing the E12.  When the E12 is employed, the soundstage becomes almost 2D rather than 3D.  Instead of the soundstage enveloping your mind as presented at the output of the iPhone 6, it seems to be strung out along a line when listening through the E12.  I'm pretty sensitive to this loss of ambience, having spent a lot of time listening to effects boxes whose primary purpose was to add room acoustics to the sound.  I'm not sure what portion of the audio signal is changed by the amp to remove this 3D atmosphere.  Phase relations between the different frequencies?  Volumetric expansion of the signal (the opposite of compression)?

Anyway, bear this in mind when purchasing this amp.

Also, if you're going to get an E12 for IEMs, be aware that a new E12a has been released that's optimized for IEMs,  lowering the noise floor, improving the "blackness" of the amp.  With the older E12, there is a background of white noise that's about the same level as the noise output of the iPod 5.5g version; not objectionable, but present.  Too bad I bought the E12 about 10 weeks ago.  How quickly shiny toys can become obsolete.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,216 of 3,739
I was at the Bristol Sound & Vision show yesterday. I had with me my E12 and iPod Classic. I was able to use it to listen to a number of different headphones including the top of the range Sennheiser HD700 and HD800, audio Technica ATH AD900 and AD1000 and some $700 Perfect Sound cans.

It wasn't the perfect listening conditions due to the noise of people and other gear but I was amazed at how well the E12 performed with every single headphone. The HD800 needed the gain adjusted. That can needs power.

And for those that have forgotten my review is on page 38 from memory on this thread.

Hi gavinfabl
I had a query, As you said before you tested HD700/800 with Fiio E12, can you tell me How do they perform? I'm planning to buy a Sennheiser HD650 along with Fiio X3 DAP and Fiio E12 amp... So I was curious if E12 will be able to drive the HD650s properly :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,217 of 3,739
It will probably be just fine, the E12 has very low distortion, low output impedance, and a pretty flat FR so it won't change the HD650's color.

A friend of mine just got the HD650. Day one he wasn't impressed, but since day 2 he hasn't wanted to listen to anything else.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #3,219 of 3,739
Actually I'm in a dilemma of what Headphone to get....
for DAP/DAC I'll be buying either Fiio X3 or Fiio X5
and for amps = Either Fiio E12 or C&C BH2
Headphone preference = HD650/HD700

Now the point is,how would these components sum up?
will a Fiio E12 be good enough to make HD650/HD700 shine & sing?
(n.b. I don't want to get a desktop amp. I'll be using the whole rig as a portable solution for both desktop and just for listening in the home)

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #3,220 of 3,739
Actually I'm in a dilemma of what Headphone to get....

for DAP/DAC I'll be buying either Fiio X3 or Fiio X5

and for amps = Either Fiio E12 or C&C BH2

Headphone preference = HD650/HD700

Now the point is,how would these components sum up?

will a Fiio E12 be good enough to make HD650/HD700 shine & sing?

(n.b. I don't want to get a desktop amp. I'll be using the whole rig as a portable solution for both desktop and just for listening in the home)

It wld be X5,E12 & HD600......600 is better than 650 not sure about 700 tho....I wld say just get some inputs from our fellow head-fi'ers pairing just X5 & 600s,that way you can save E12 cost a & same can be used for desktop setup, and invest on something else......

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,222 of 3,739
  The E12 has 15V P2P swing. Should be able to give you ~120dB of pain through the HD-650, according to the 103dB @ 1V RMS HD specs.

15V p-p is 5.3025 VRMS which is +14.489614 dB or 117.489614 dB. Some folks might quible the small difference, trust me, it's plenty loud enough and most folks do not have recordings and an equipment chan that will handle it. Most recording have enough compression to make this meaningless, and many old recording have enough noise to compromise any DR. That said, at home I use my Schiit Asgard 2, and even though I tend to listen on the loud side. I do not turn up the volume enough to garner it's full power, even on peaks, using my HE-500's which are a little on the power hungry side of the curve.
Some people make too much hay on power, they want more than they will ever use on peaks. Yes, if one happens to own a pair of HE-6's they're gonna need a serious amount of power, the rest of us, not as much.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,223 of 3,739
I have a question, i have X5 and i hear the E12 with my focal spirit pro and i'm very very very IMPRESSED. more more more bassssssssssss, so the question is can i connect the headphone output of E12  with 3.5 jack to double rca with active speakers like audioengine a5+, or i can do these connection only from the line out of X5 without the E12 ?

Thanks a lot

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,224 of 3,739
  I have a question, i have X5 and i hear the E12 with my focal spirit pro and i'm very very very IMPRESSED. more more more bassssssssssss, so the question is can i connect the headphone output of E12  with 3.5 jack to double rca with active speakers like audioengine a5+, or i can do these connection only from the line out of X5 without the E12 ?

Thanks a lot

I have done both with X3, E12, and JBL305. I used X3 both as USB DAC and as source.

Cheers... Brian

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3,225 of 3,739

Thanks a lot

Line out from X5 to a5 with 3.5mm to RCA works great! Done this myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back