FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jun 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,926 of 3,739
Hi - sorry for the noob question, but I just wanted to confirm that I can use the E12 with either the headphone output of my preamp or with a line level output. Do I have to change the gain when using one or the other?

Thanks - this thread is incredible and I have learned so much.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,927 of 3,739
  Hi - sorry for the noob question, but I just wanted to confirm that I can use the E12 with either the headphone output of my preamp or with a line level output. Do I have to change the gain when using one or the other?

Thanks - this thread is incredible and I have learned so much.

Depends what headphones you are connecting to the E12...
Try it out and see if you have enough volume on low gain, if not, switch to high.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,928 of 3,739
I recently got my E12. I'm using it with the X3 to drive Soundmagic HP100 which are rated at 32 ohms and 95 db/mW, not exactly hard to drive but not as sensitive as most IEMs. I can easily hear a noise floor with no music playing. Guess this is only meant for hard to drive cans, but I'm still disappointed by it considering none of my other amps have noise floors with this headphone.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #2,929 of 3,739
I'm a bit surprised about the reports of the noice floor, my E12 is dead quiet. Guess I'm just lucky......

Are people that hear noice using high or low gain? Using bassboost? Hear it no matter what?

I'm using mine on low gain and never use the bass boost.....

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,933 of 3,739
How do I do that? Do I need to contact Fiio directly or the dealer (Adorama)?

I have no idea. Best guess is FiiO. You might be able to PM them on Head-Fi. Check the threads for their users like James, etc.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #2,934 of 3,739
hello all. I have recently purchased a Fiio E12 on amazon through one of Fiio's authorized dealers. So far, I am loving it for my Mad Dogs! I have been driving the Mad Dogs with only an iPad since I got them for Christmas. Needless to say, while I love their sound, it took me a while to get used to the bass levels. I have actually come to realize why not everyone is a bass head and why they love clear sparkling highs :-D Anyway, the E12 with bass boost on is exactly what I was looking for with a portable amp to give a bit more bass presence and punch. I probably use them at work more than anywhere else and find myself on 0 gain about half to 3/4 volume and I have NO noise coming through when I don't have a song playing (crossfade is off btw). Perhaps it could be the pairing with your headphones, I'm not sure. Let us know what you decide to do.

But the main reason I'm posting here is that I seem to have an issue with the short 3.5 mm cable that came with my E12. If I don't keep the cable at the perfect position, which of course is not a relaxed position, I lose all sound in my left ear and the right gets a little fuzzy. Has anyone else had an issue with this? Do you think Fiio would ship me another cable to replace this one? Or would it be better to just purchase another cable?

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,935 of 3,739
So 3.5mm ipad HO to E12 input?

are you sure the cable is inserted all the way in?

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,937 of 3,739
You can try a different source and see if it does the same thing. If it is still the same then try a different cable. If the trouble persist then the input is probably damaged.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,938 of 3,739
With so many accounts of 'noisy' E12's being answered by so many accounts of 'dead silent' (like mine) units, I'm beginning to think there was a faulty production run. I was in industrial production management for over 30 yrs. It happens. Look at all the automobile recalls that are happening right now. If I got a noisy unit or one with a faulty cable, I'd return it immediately. That's what a warrantee's for. Was the money paid defective in any way? If you buy a new unit that's hinky in any way, return it!

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,939 of 3,739
Just found a place that mods new E12s like so, they translated as best they could.Costs about $30 extra.

Quote" He change LMH49700 Buffer to 130Mhz to gain more music detail
and change capacitor output + capacitor input"

Mod is for more detail and a more dynamic "natural tone" with vocals.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,940 of 3,739
  Just found a place that mods new E12s like so, they translated as best they could.Costs about $30 extra.

Quote" He change LMH49700 Buffer to 130Mhz to gain more music detail
and change capacitor output + capacitor input"

Mod is for more detail and a more dynamic "natural tone" with vocals.

Nice, considering there is no such chip as a LMH49700...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back