FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jun 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,912 of 3,739
.. I've just found out that i made stupidest mistake ever.... I've been using it with headphone out... And that is dumb)) Reviewing it all over again. It probably will not have such a negative impact on a sound with "Line Out"

Back to the drawing board. 
normal_smile .gif

Try getting an A/B switch and compare one headphone against two amps Y connected to the same DAC. Match the volumes very carefully and you might be surprised at the outcome. As long as both amps are able to drive your cans and are decent quality, you will be amazed at the results.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #2,913 of 3,739
That was your issue. You weren't using it with the levels matched. This accounts for perceived differences when there should be none most of the times. :wink:

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,914 of 3,739
I am looking for a portable amp and the E12 looks like it will fit the bill nicely. I am wondering, what would be the advantage (if any) of a amp/DAC  such as the E17? My intended use will be with an iPhone or iPod. It is my understanding the a the DAC feature of say an E17 would be to have the option of bypassing a crummy PC sound card. Would a DAC have any use or advantage with an iPhone or iPod? My cans are the 64 ohm Jaycar Pro Monitors ( a clone of the Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5 ). Sorry to sidestep this thread a bit.

Paul

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,915 of 3,739
some news share with you guys. we are considering to make a E12IEM version for IEM user. cause the output power of E12 is too high and the hiss is a little bigger too. so we will develop a E12IEM

which is based on E12DIY, and we will use MUSES02+LME49600.

All these different versions of the E12 is getting a bit overwhelming, James, isn't it? Why not just improve on a smaller amp like the E6, specifically for IEMs? Changing the output power on the E12 kills what makes it so unique, a portable amp with the abilty to drive power hungry headphones... without breaking the bank.

While we all do appreciate how FiiO listens to its consumers for quality improvement on its products... I, personally, think that all community input is not always good input (cough, bass boost adjustment, cough)....

But don't mind me... I'm just a bitter E12 owner that wishes he had the pre-order unit...

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2,917 of 3,739
confused.gif
??question:

I read that the older fiio e12 had a week bass boost and the newer ones have a stronger bass boost. How can I know which one I have. I just bought one from sonicsense.com that came today. I have had one before and never really researched it. I just know that I cant remember which one of these fiios I have had had a stronger bass boost.

Is there anyway to tell or anything I should be reading in the insert to let me know which one I have. I def want the one with stronger bass.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,918 of 3,739
:confused: ??question:

I read that the older fiio e12 had a week bass boost and the newer ones have a stronger bass boost. How can I know which one I have. I just bought one from sonicsense.com that came today. I have had one before and never really researched it. I just know that I cant remember which one of these fiios I have had had a stronger bass boost.

Is there anyway to tell or anything I should be reading in the insert to let me know which one I have. I def want the one with stronger bass.

Not stronger, just shifted up in the frequency spectrum. The original batch, the very first ones, had a bass boost around 20Hz. After customer feedback this was shifted to peak around 50Hz. Both boost around 4-5 db.

Unless you were one of the very first to purchase one chances are you have the same version as before.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,919 of 3,739

confused.gif
??question:

Not stronger, just shifted up in the frequency spectrum. The original batch, the very first ones, had a bass boost around 20Hz. After customer feedback this was shifted to peak around 50Hz. Both boost around 4-5 db.

Unless you were one of the very first to purchase one chances are you have the same version as before.

good looking out! so no worries then. 50hz boost makes more sense. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,920 of 3,739
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,922 of 3,739
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,924 of 3,739
It is! Second time buying it. Didn't even care to try the other stuff. If I'm missing out oh well.

Do you use the bass boost ? As it can bleed into lower mids I read.
I wanted that proto E12 but the guy would not ship outside CONUS.  The lower bass boost E12's must be few and far between now.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,925 of 3,739

It is! Second time buying it. Didn't even care to try the other stuff. If I'm missing out oh well.

Do you use the bass boost ? As it can bleed into lower mids I read.
I wanted that proto E12 but the guy would not ship outside CONUS.  The lower bass boost E12's must be few and far between now.

bass is a weird thing. its a part of the spectrum that has a ton of energy and extends into the other areas of the FR when it hits no matter what.

Its nearly impossible to have a very strong thump without a slight midbass hump and its even harder for that not to go into the mids especially on hp's. Whenever I eq 20 HZ i hear it better but dont feel it enough before it distorts.

Something has to give. I dont mind a little bass bleed. I also am less sensitive to it because I tolerate it so much. I do use the bass boost and turn it off and on depending on how the song is mixed.  On the wrong song its definitely a hot mess! I want to try/buy(not build) someones DIY one and A/B it next to mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back