FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,036 of 3,739
Quote:
Its not that E12 has problems. Its that it may not get quiet enough and the turns are a bit sensitive. Heir audios work with the e12 but careful turning is needed

Im getting a loaner gr07 in a few days. Ill post in this thread to let you know
Sorry, i though you were in u s

cool id love to hear your impressions.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,037 of 3,739
I'm glad I bought the E12 when I did. I listen to electro, psytrance, techno, d&b about half the time, and a variety of metal and acoustic the other half. The boost that's on there now sounds great with everything! It's tight, impactful, and detailed in everything I listen to.

I thought I wouldn't like it as much with death metal due to how fast the drumming is, but when paired with my 325is, it sounds fantastic! The bass drum actually sounds like a bass drum and the bass guitar really stands out without becoming overpowering or unclear.

All this being said, if I ONLY listened to electronica, I'd probably want more bass. With my music tastes being what they are, the E12 is a near-perfect travel amp.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,038 of 3,739
Quote:
I think the tuning of the bass boost to be aimed exclusively at the "atmospheric" sub-bass region only is part of what makes this amp unique (price:power, power:size, and low THD are others), I'm still scratching my head about bassheads NOT owning something like your HE-400, a Beyerdynamic DT990, or one of the Phiathon (sic) headphones (and cutting the bass if they sometimes want less), however I do understand that others simply may want to go about it a different way.

I didn't mean to say I had a HE-400, but that I find it weird that anyone serious about bass doesn't already own one of those cans.

And if they already did, I'd think overall sound refinement should be top priority.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,039 of 3,739
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds matching headphone to your signature preference as the ideal way to "go about it." I actually get to audition an HE-400 next week and then for a longer period soon after that, I'm excited :D I'll change my post to "an HE-400" instead of "your HE-400," if you want?

Another way to think of the current bass-boost (for everyone else to consider): it synergies well with almost any headphone or song, so you can just leave it on most of the time unless you get tired of it.
I've actually been enjoying the Crossfeed lately too, didn't think I'd care much but now I leave it on most the time to compensate for hard separation. Works OK with virtual surround processing in my games & movies too, I forgot I left it on.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,040 of 3,739
Oh no, it's fine. Just wanted to clarify in case anyone gets confused about it in the future.

I try not to mention gears that I don't have (or those that I don't own anymore) unless just for a quick harmless comparison.

That's why I didn't title my thread "Fiio E12 vs JDS Labs O2".

But then... I'm sure I'll see at least one O2 at the upcoming SF Bay Area meet, and maybe there'll be a writeup on that as well.

However, there will surely be a writeup about how people like the E12 plus how other headphones pair with it. A meet is the perfect opportunity to get some good impressions.

On that note, I'll make sure to document how people like the bass (plus bass boost) of the current E12. Maybe we'll have more of a consensus then.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,041 of 3,739
Quote:

Thanks!!!. Man, that sucker is huge compared to the e11

confused.gif
....im sorry to say this but I think I may pass on this one. C&C and JDS perhaps are better options (for me) in terms of upgrading sound and performance while maintaining a compact design.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,042 of 3,739
Does anybody know any competitors to the E12, specs-wise? Pumping out 880mW into 32ohms with that size is really tempting, but I was just wondering if there is something else that has >/= power without breaking the bank.

Also, this review may be of help to some people (C&C BH vs. E12)

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,043 of 3,739
Quote:
Does anybody know any competitors to the E12, specs-wise? Pumping out 880mW into 32ohms with that size is really tempting, but I was just wondering if there is something else that has >/= power without breaking the bank.

Also, this review may be of help to some people (C&C BH vs. E12)

FiiO is known for their value and the E12 is no exception.  Nothing can touch E12's power at its price point.  In contrast, my Vamp that listed for $650 is only 150mw/channel and I want to double amp with the E12 when I need the extra power.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,044 of 3,739
 As a preface: The consumption of alcohol can and will directly affect a multitude of senses, not limited to musical enjoyment and objectivity. That being said, I have opted to connect my E12 to my Schiit Modi via a ****ty Dynex RCA to 3.5mm" jack. Laptop->JRiver->Modi->E12->HE-400 = awesomeness. With the option of gain and bass boost, I have more control over the sound signature with the E12 over the Schiit Magni and it is awesome. Powerful, impactful bass with all the delightful benefits of ortho mids. Just wanted to share considering the popularity of both the Schiit stack and the HE-400s. Maybe I'm way off base, but I prefer a non neutral signature
L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,045 of 3,739
Can anyone lucky enough to own an E12 comment on its susceptibility to electromagnetic interference when used in close proximity to a cellphone? Everything about the E12 sounds very impressive so far, but wonder if I might hear the dreaded di-dit di-dit di-dit if it's strapped to my iPhone 4s.

Would be very grateful for any observations from owners
smile.gif

Cheers,

Graham

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,046 of 3,739
I need some help with the Micca Store.... Do they ship outside of US, to say, Canada? I can't seem to choose anything except US for currency, or my country. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #1,048 of 3,739
Well ain't that bollox, eh?

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,049 of 3,739
Quote:
Can anyone lucky enough to own an E12 comment on its susceptibility to electromagnetic interference when used in close proximity to a cellphone? Everything about the E12 sounds very impressive so far, but wonder if I might hear the dreaded di-dit di-dit di-dit if it's strapped to my iPhone 4s.

Would be very grateful for any observations from owners
smile.gif

Cheers,

Graham

This is an issue with most, if not all, portable amps.  I can usually pick it up if I am downloading over 3G with all 3 of the portable amps I own- IFuzen, Vamp and E11.  They all produce static when I am doing the exact same thing with my Iphone.  I have emailed other portable amp companies about this and they have informed me the only way to completely avoid this is to use a dedicated media player.  Fortunately, I have not heard interference while enjoying music so it is not a big issue.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,050 of 3,739
Quote:
Today when i get home. Ill attach the E12 to my 4S. And ill download some data over wifi and 4G hspa+ and 3G. And make and receive a few calls for you.

If nobody replies with an answer. Ill let you know by 4 est.
Newcastle. No bollocks

Thanks bowei006, that would be awesome, thank you very much. Any feedback when using 2G only would be appreciated if you find yourself without 3G and 4G, please - I find good old GSM produces the most interference in the other products I have that are susceptible to EMI, and unfortunately GSM is all I have at home.

Quote:
This is an issue with most, if not all, portable amps.  I can usually pick it up if I am downloading over 3G with all 3 of the portable amps I own- IFuzen, Vamp and E11.  They all produce static when I am doing the exact same thing with my Iphone.  I have emailed other portable amp companies about this and they have informed me the only way to completely avoid this is to use a dedicated media player.  Fortunately, I have not heard interference while enjoying music so it is not a big issue.

Thanks Craigster75, that's appreciated... I realise I'm probably expecting too much and I'm glad it isn't too much of an issue in real life with your amps. Some of the amps in ClieOS's <$100 and <$200 amp shootouts score top marks for EMI resistance so I thought I'd try and find out how the E12 fares in this regard and whether it really is too good to be true
biggrin.gif

Cheers both,

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back