FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,816 of 3,739
Quote:
anyone got the new bass version already? waiting for comparison between the new and old bass boost version

I have a production version, but sadly no pre-production version to compare the bass boost to.

I find I selectively use the bass boost function depending on which cans and music I'm listening to.  Sometimes it sounds great, other times it's really not required.

It definitely boosts more than just the sub-bass frequencies though!

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,817 of 3,739
Quote:
I'm expecting my E12 to be delivered tomorrow along with an HRT MSII DAC for my laptop. I can't wait to see how this setup pairs with my Q701!
biggrin.gif

Nice!

I'm very pleased with how the E12 works with my Q701s, great sound, more than enough power!

The E12 also has no problems driving my 600 Ohm DT880s!

BTW, I very rarely use the bass boost, I find it TOO MUCH for most recordings.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,818 of 3,739
Quote:
Quote:
I'm expecting my E12 to be delivered tomorrow along with an HRT MSII DAC for my laptop. I can't wait to see how this setup pairs with my Q701!
biggrin.gif

Nice!

I'm very pleased with how the E12 works with my Q701s, great sound, more than enough power!

The E12 also has no problems driving my 600 Ohm DT880s!

BTW, I very rarely use the bass boost, I find it TOO MUCH for most recordings.

Is your E12 the pre-release version, or the mass-release one?

I don't know how it sounds with the E12, but the bass boost of the JDS Labs C5 does wonders for the new K 701 for gaming in my experience. Crysis Warhead, yay. XD

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,820 of 3,739
Quote:

I don't know how it sounds with the E12, but the bass boost of the JDS Labs C5 does wonders for the new K 701 for gaming in my experience. Crysis Warhead, yay. XD

The mass release version, I just bought it last weekend.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,821 of 3,739
I wanted to share what my first day impressions are... as I wrote this to someone in a PM.

"This thing is AMAZING for it's size! It is exactly what I was looking for, portable wise. And it pairs up very well using the HRT MSII as it's DAC.

I kind of got carried away with the bass boost at first. It is definitely a plus, but I think I prefer it off on most tracks. I'm not a basshead like I used to be, and I listen to Hip-Hop (go figure). But then again, the MSII gives the bass an extra kick so that may be why I prefer the boost off on the E12. Either way, I love it."

L3000.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,824 of 3,739
Quote:
USPS mixup and mine arrived today (long story). Will need to send back the second one Amazon is sending on Tuesday. So far, a bit dark. Could be my phones/gear, not sure. Not using bass boost at all. But need to do more listening with my stuff. Also have the C&C BH and right now, I prefer it for a few reasons. But again, need to do more listening, burning, etc.

This is of great interest to me. Please feed us a review of the C&C vs E12 when you can.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,826 of 3,739
Quote:
Quote:

I get the feeling the new bass boost won't do Fiio any favor. Sounds to me like it's just too much. Did you ever have a v1, by the way?

Quote:
Quote:

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,827 of 3,739
I get the feeling the new bass boost won't do Fiio any favor. Sounds to me like it's just too much. Did you ever have a v1, by the way?

No, I've never heard "The Classic V1".
A shame, I would probably use a subtle boost like V1 quite a bit.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,828 of 3,739
Quote:
No, I've never heard "The Classic V1".
A shame, I would probably use a subtle boost like V1 quite a bit.

Aww... and here I was thinking you've had one for a while.

Yeah, the v1's bass boost is subtle, but with great control and authority. I'm not sure how the new one sounds like, but I know for a fact that I don't like any other amp that overdoes it compared to v1.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,829 of 3,739
Quote:

Aww... and here I was thinking you've had one for a while.

Yeah, the v1's bass boost is subtle, but with great control and authority. I'm not sure how the new one sounds like, but I know for a fact that I don't like any other amp that overdoes it compared to v1.

Here's a question for you. How does the V1 bass boost compare to the E11's?

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,830 of 3,739
Quote:
Ok, will give it my best. Right now, with the Sony MDR-7550s and Comply Ts200 tips, the E12 is sounding better. I felt it dark, but so much depends on the genres, etc. I am using it with an iPod Classic 160GB, decent MP3 rips, 192-320. Springsteen's Thunder Road from Live 1975-85 sounds fine with the bass boost on, but the song has no bass to speak of. The body of the sound is increased with the BB. On other tracks, such as anything with real bass, BB off is preferred. But I may have been harsh on the E12 out of the box, it's sounding good. It also meshes well with my customs, dual BA drivers.

I may end up keeping both amps at this rate.

That's how it starts
L3000.gif

You cannot do flac's on the ipod, can you?  You really need lossless files for amp comparisons else it tends to favour the loudest (highest current amp) in this case I believe that would be the C&C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back