FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Apr 1, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,726 of 3,739
I think it's interesting that bass concerns continue to be a topic. A lot of people now seem to be echoing my comments when I praised the E12 bass-boost to be particularly well-suited and unique to counter sub-bass roll off that's apparent in most open headphones without messing with the good stuff in the rest of the frequency range. I still stand by my review and opinions I've had all along, BUT... I haven't heard the new version. It may not be very different. One of the things I noticed before the change was announced was that the people who expressed in this thread that the amp needed a ... uh... more apparent bass boost were people who hadn't even heard the amp with their headphones yet. Since thE change is done and baked into the new units, I say lets wait for some user impressions before we start labeling the sound, ok?

I am thinking about purchasing an E12... then pair it with a DAC such as the HRT Music Streamer II. Would this be suitable for my Q701s? I need more of a portable amp for use with my laptop and this setup sounds tempting. Some feedback would be highly appreciated before I jump the gun.

I thought it was a great pairing. My review of the combo is on the E12's Head-Fi product page, and linked in my signature. There are other opinions (generally positive) on the Q701 with E12 in the first release.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,727 of 3,739
Quote:
I think it's interesting that bass concerns continue to be a topic. A lot of people now seem to be echoing my comments when I praised the E12 bass-boost to be particularly well-suited and unique to counter sub-bass roll off that's apparent in most open headphones without messing with the good stuff in the rest of the frequency range. I still stand by my review and opinions I've had all along, BUT... I haven't heard the new version. It may not be very different. One of the things I noticed before the change was announced was that the people who expressed in this thread that the amp needed a ... uh... more apparent bass boost were people who hadn't even heard the amp with their headphones yet. Since thE change is done and baked into the new units, I say lets wait for some user impressions before we start labeling the sound, ok?
I thought it was a great pairing. My review of the combo is on the E12's Head-Fi product page, and linked in my signature. There are other opinions (generally positive) on the Q701 with E12 in the first release.

I am guilty of this, but your impression and/or point is misguided.

Technical information is given for someone who is experienced to be able to very well tell the effects of this increase/decrease in frequencies.  It wasn't the overall sound that was addressed before the unit was heard unless based on other technical information and what it further may mean.  I think there are points which can very fairly be argued before even hearing the amp.  Some people have finer hearing, are looking for something specific, and/or need it for professional uses, and arguments can be made for one version or the other.  It's not as simple as just if it sounds "good" or not.  If it were just that, any bass boost would then suffice.

In my case originally, I simply misread the graphs that were posted, or rather, assumed that certain things were one way when in fact they were done otherwise.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,728 of 3,739
How much?

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,729 of 3,739
Apr 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,730 of 3,739
Quote:

Awesome! I'll check out your review as soon as I get a chance. As for the HRT MSII, would that be a good DAC for the E12 and Q701 combo?

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,731 of 3,739
I am guilty of this, but your impression and/or point is misguided.

I wasn't attacking you. My point was that, in general, I think there was an overestimation about the lack of appeal in the original bass boost, and changing it was an overreaction to a couple of people wanting something different. Now, I don't know how many people in the Chinese forums wanted more/different bass boost, but I still feel safe believing that people who say "EVERYONE wants more bass" are exaggerating. A lot. I applaud the design choices of the engineers that made the original, though the new one will probably be fine anyway.

I don't want to get dragged back into that though, I've been mostly avoiding this thread because of how critical people were getting.

Awesome! I'll check out your review as soon as I get a chance. As for the HRT MSII, would that be a good DAC for the E12 and Q701 combo?

I don't have much experience with different DACs, but that one has been highly regarded. I was thinking about getting an HRT iStreamer myself someday. There are other good options too, though in general I don't get too hung up on DACs as long as I have a decent one. Of course, I had that same method of thinking about headphones , then amps, and slowly where I set the bar for "a decent one" has been rising, lol :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #1,732 of 3,739
Quote:
I wasn't attacking you.

Well obviously not.  I wasn't defending myself; I was defending an argument being made for certain things before personal impressions can be had.  I included myself just for the admission of making a mistake, not to be called out on it later in which case I in fact would be defending myself over the larger point, which would be unfortunate.  

Like I thought was clear, point is and was, there is a case to be made prior to even owning the product.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,733 of 3,739
Ok. But for the record, I wouldn't have brought you up or tried to make you look bad, I'm more interested in the amp. I was recommending this amp in large part in my review BECAUSE the bass boost was unique, and I'm not sure how much the new setting will change that effect. It may not be that effectively different after all, hoping it doesn't cause a 3rd hardware change to chase the goal of pleasing everybody.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,736 of 3,739
Quote:
Ok. But for the record, I wouldn't have brought you up or tried to make you look bad, I'm more interested in the amp. I was recommending this amp in large part in my review BECAUSE the bass boost was unique, and I'm not sure how much the new setting will change that effect. It may not be that effectively different after all, hoping it doesn't cause a 3rd hardware change to chase the goal of pleasing everybody.

Right.  Well that's what I assumed the reason for your motivation to say anything was.  Funny enough, my motivation, aside from the point, was similar in nature.  More specifically, it was the opposite of yours. I DO hope they change it back or to something otherwise similar, or better yet, integrate both or just sell multiple versions.

And also for the record, my concern was an open one, or rather, it wasn't of specific relation to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back