FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,294 of 2,501
My brother pays for the MQA level subscription with Tidal and I have to be honest and say I can't hear any difference at all.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #1,295 of 2,501
My brother pays for the MQA level subscription with Tidal and I have to be honest and say I can't hear any difference at all.
It is a gimmick to some extend, but if you pay for it, why not use it?

If you or your brother have been using TIDAL on a mobile phone or DAP without specific MQA support before the latest update (TIDAL 2.11), it is correct that you can't hear a difference, since you couldn't use the functionality anyways. You could only get the first software unfold of the MQA file on the desktop version of TIDAL. To get the second (hardware) unfold, you would need something like for example a Dragonfly. Only then you are fully utilizing the MQA / Master functionality TIDAL offers.

The thing is however, since the latest update (2.11), every Android based device can now do this first software MQA unfold, which means that the TIDAL Masters could be listened to in 24/96, which means you could (maybe) hear subtle differences if all your gear / ears / recording are on a certain level that these differences *can* actually be heard. Still, music is something everyone interprets in their own personal way, and there's more than just raw specs to let something sound good. That's what makes this hobby all so much fun :wink:

However, I do hope someone can answer my initial question: does MQA (when using TIDAL 2.11.1 on the M9) work flawlessly, or does it stutter / buffer a lot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #1,296 of 2,501
Hi, I'm trying to update firmware via ota but shows this message "No TF card found or TF card remaining less than 400M".

(I haven't installed any external memory yet and the internal memory only has the song included with the player)

I don't see the point of using an external memory for updates when I have plenty of space (373MB used of 2.03GB) in internal memory. Any idea of what's going on?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,297 of 2,501
Hi, I'm trying to update firmware via ota but shows this message "No TF card found or TF card remaining less than 400M".

(I haven't installed any external memory yet and the internal memory only has the song included with the player)

I don't see the point of using an external memory for updates when I have plenty of space (373MB used of 2.03GB) in internal memory. Any idea of what's going on?
Yes, you need an SD card installed in order to complete OTA updates.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,298 of 2,501
That really is the idea behind audiophilia really. If you can hear the differences and believe the $$$ you pay warrants it.

Something between the technique and believings maybe?

Thanks bowei!

Yes, you need an SD card installed in order to complete OTA updates.

Do you know if after the upgrade can I remove the card? Thanks gLer!

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,301 of 2,501
I have a M6 on backorder so foolishly I have been looking at the M9 whilst waiting and just wondering what the M9 will give my in general use over the M6 especially listening to Symphonic metal like "Whithin Temptation"?

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #1,302 of 2,501
My Fiio M9 arrived yesterday, and I'm absolutely in awe of how pure sounding and well built it is. It is my first true DAP (previously I used an iPod Nano 5th Gen and an iPod Video 5G).

But I have one concern. Fiio's website states that every M9 comes with its own tempered glass screen protector. I didn't see anything in the box, so does this mean that it is already installed on the device?

If so, then that will have saved me the time and hassle of buying and applying one. I'm thankful for Fiio if this is the case.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,303 of 2,501
Yep - already installed

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,305 of 2,501
@FiiO / anyone here know if the coax SPDIF out on the M9 is 1:1 bitperfect when feeding an external dac?
Dear friend,

Yes, the sampling rate of the music will not be changed when using coaxial out.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back