FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 25, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,007 of 2,501
I placed an order for these yesterday, my first dap. :thumbsup:Do they include the leather case?

Nope, comes with a silicone case already wrapped around the DAP and a screen protector pre applied

I thought I was going crazy, I have this problem too. It's specific tracks, and it doesn't matter how I twiddle any settings, balanced vs unbalanced, etc. I have no idea what the pattern is, but I have one track I'll post a sample of that is completely unlistenable on this player for the clipping sounds.

I like this DAP much better than the AK70, but I do have some issues:
  • the aforementioned clipping sound
  • the USB C port doesn't seem to charge with standard USB C charging cables?? let alone fast charge. This totally defeats the purpose of USB C if I have to carry around the specific cable that came with the DAP.
  • Why do none of these DAPs respect artist or album artist sort order? Why don't they list "artist" by the "album artist" tag? The way it works right now it splits soundtracks and most hiphop albums into at least five different albums/artists!

1) Make sure Replay GAin and other stuff is off

2) You are confusing the full USB C compliant standard and all its protocols with manufacturers using USB C just as a physical port and doing only the basic USB data bus stuff over it. I have NOT had any issues charging the M9 with my fully USB Compliant charger and cable (cable is USB C to USB C and is certified for Power Delivery standard).

The M9 does not have any fast charging features. Most devices with a USB C receptacle do not either. The only (generic term) fast charging standard that is USB-IF and Google recommended and pushed through the alliance is Power Delivery. Dash Charging, Quick Charging, and the 4 other new wannabe standards are all 3rd party designs that abuse the USB C standard.

As of 2017, The USB-IF alliances documents on C note that those 3rd party fast charging standards are 'tolerated' but heavilly not recommended as they are dangerous and do not follow typical protocols. And no, the M9 and most devices on the market that use the USB C physical connector do not support PD.

The majority of companies these days do the same thing FiiO is doing. As in using the USB C connector just for its physical reversable connector and to seem more up to date than actually being fully compliant. There are a paltry amount of devices that have the full USB C specification on the market. The few that do are laptops.

I'm a computer engineer.

3)MP3 Tagging :/

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,008 of 2,501
1. Yep turned everything off, including gapless. When I downsampled the song to 16 bit it seemed to play fine, for what that's worth. My followup post has an example to a track that is busted; can you reproduce the weirdness?
2. Pretty sure you're right on here. Thanks for the info!
3. Dunno what you mean? I'm not going to go and retag my whole library with the wrong metadata just to get it to work with this one player. There are already standard metadata fields for both album artist and album artist sort key, this device (and most other DAPs) just choose to ignore it. And that's dumb.

Dec 26, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,010 of 2,501
  • Why do none of these DAPs respect artist or album artist sort order? Why don't they list "artist" by the "album artist" tag? The way it works right now it splits soundtracks and most hiphop albums into at least five different albums/artists!

I second this, please introduce sort by „album artist tag“ and then album order not alphabetically but chronologically.
THX!

Dec 26, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #1,011 of 2,501
I placed an order for these yesterday, my first dap. :thumbsup:Do they include the leather case?
15458180504697349061456832908705.jpg 15458180757469125306816235086359.jpg
Red available at Fiio store AliExpress
Never cared much for the SACD of thriller I have the Japanese first pressing it has better dynamics. Charging it off my Huawei p20 pro cable and plug and it works fine takes around 90 mins from 5% to full

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,015 of 2,501
Yep - I just use the same standard M3U8 playlists I’ve used on all FiiO devices. You can create them with Foobar. Once you get the hang of it though - easy enough to create manually.
Would you post one of these files so that I can see the format and file paths to use?

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,016 of 2,501
Yes, there is.

There is but I've noticed some problems with it. For one, there's a back button that allows you to go back to the main music folder directory containing all of your music. If you click this button it won't immediately bring you back to the previous directory but lag. Also, clicking the folder containing all of your sub folders within it causes lag as well (If you have a folder called MUSIC and within this folder have Artist Album A, Artist Album B, ... etc. , the lag would occur when accessing the MUSIC folder). I've already brought this up to @FiiO , privately, but I haven't heard anything back yet (not expecting an immediate response due to the time of the year).

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,017 of 2,501
Regarding data base sorting.
I suggested it already @M7 thread. My ZX100 has this kind of sorting. Artist A -> Album A / Album B etc... -> Titles. Especially for genre sorting this kind of sorting is required!
Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Title

I found another possible solution for my DSD issue
The Sony ZX100 implemented a pre-gain for DSD files: 0 dB or -3 dB and this pre-gain is working also via BT! This is the reason why the DSD files of MJ's "Thriller" are working fine @ZX100 but not @M9.

@FiiO
Me and other guys have problems with clipping / artefacts while listening HiRes files such DSD.
Can you check this please and can you implement a (fixed) pre-gain about -3dB til -6dB dB (or -6 dB fixed) which is also working for bluetooth devices? Remember, the gain section @M9 is just for the internal amplifier, not for the BT connection. In addition, the EQ is off. Maybe the simple gain fixed that issue...
Sony implemented it as follow:
"DSD playback settings"
Filtering settings -> "roll off" etc.
"Gain settings" with two switches
0 dB
-3 dB

For DSD playback, normally a lower output by - 6dB is recommend.

One of the most common practical measures used to prevent instability is limiting the amplitude of the input signal. In fact, the Scarlett Book (SACD) specifications require that the input signal be limited to -6 dBFS (meaning, 6dB less dynamic range than the original signal).
https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSD_to_PCM_Settings
the reason is
" there is 6dB more headroom over 0dB for a DSD signal."
Page 27

http://www.sonicstudio.com/pdf/dsd/SACD_FormatOverview.pdf
Maybe you can find the issue of the clipping here... :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,018 of 2,501
Few initial thoughts, volume knob not friendly in the clear case. Headphone jack really tight on all connectors. Why is the HF jack on the bottom, BTW? Feels awkward after the Pio 30R. Interface slow to boot and really miss the "always there" home button on the Pio. SQ: I A/B'd extensively through a very nice 2 channel setup with Klipsch La Scala speakers, Volume balanced using a SPL meter. Conclusion, for my 70 year old hearing, they both sounded extremely similar with a slight detail edge going to the Pio. I didn't expect that except the Pio is a wonderful sounding (to me) DAP. I probabaly will keep the Pio @ $139.00/shipped and sell the M9.

bob

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,019 of 2,501
1. Yep turned everything off, including gapless. When I downsampled the song to 16 bit it seemed to play fine, for what that's worth. My followup post has an example to a track that is busted; can you reproduce the weirdness?
2. Pretty sure you're right on here. Thanks for the info!
3. Dunno what you mean? I'm not going to go and retag my whole library with the wrong metadata just to get it to work with this one player. There are already standard metadata fields for both album artist and album artist sort key, this device (and most other DAPs) just choose to ignore it. And that's dumb.

1) Another user had similar issues. He reset the device and it fixed some stuff for him

2) Sure no problem :D

3) My bad, thought you meant something else. I thought your issue was from a lack of a full MP3 tag and the M9 not able to read it well.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,020 of 2,501
Is it possible to use a remote control for the music app? Like this one: https://amzn.to/2Th1Nkt
I use it for Seek (Fast Forward) and Next track for Neutron MP on my android phone.
I wonder if the M9 music app supports such function?
I also suppose that M9's bluetooth is able to pair with such device and not only with audio hardware as headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back