FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 25, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #991 of 2,501
I imported albums to my microSD card. But they only appear as files and don't show up in "albums"

How do I get them into the album part of Fiio music?

Thanks

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #992 of 2,501
The data base is tag oriented. You have to tag your files with a "MP3 tagging" app such MP3tag. :wink:

btw. Yesterday I filled a playlist directly from M9, but the M9 sorted it... but I prefer "FIFO" (first in first out) and so on. Any change to get the list as I filled it before? (via non-editing through 3rd party HW such computer).

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #993 of 2,501
Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. Playing any track off Tidal (including offline content) the Fiio LED is blue (indicating a lossy file). Since I’m playing Tidal in Hi-Fi quality, shouldn’t the LED be purple (lossless), which it is when I play local or DLNA flac files?

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #994 of 2,501
I bought a DSD Album by MJ "Thriller" several years ago.
DSF: 2822 KHz, 1 Bit, 5644kbps but it seems the tracks are having a kind of cicking / hard sound in the background, such a distortion or similar noise like artifacts or clicking in the treble). I'm wondering. The files are playing very fine on my old Sony Walkman 100.
Can a dig. filter generate this hard noise? Listening via BT LDAC (the same way on my Sony Walkman). Is it possible that the M9 is not good in handling with files in the highest peak (~0dB)? I don't know about the correct dB of the affected files.
In the begin of "Billie Jean" I can hear the distortion.... then it seems the mastering engineer leveled the peak down or it was the device...this is the question....does have any one Thriller as HiRes and can check that behaviour, pls? I never heard it before on my Sony Walkman...
"Beat it" has the same problems while clapping? with hands in the song.... the whole track is affected...
Is there any pre-gain for bluetooth connections? The amplifier section (low / high gain) ist not working in this case.....

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #995 of 2,501
I placed an order for these yesterday, my first dap. :thumbsup:Do they include the leather case?

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #996 of 2,501
Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. Playing any track off Tidal (including offline content) the Fiio LED is blue (indicating a lossy file). Since I’m playing Tidal in Hi-Fi quality, shouldn’t the LED be purple (lossless), which it is when I play local or DLNA flac files?
It seems any streaming file is blue. The color coding is only for files stored on the device.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #998 of 2,501
I bought a DSD Album by MJ "Thriller" several years ago.
DSF: 2822 KHz, 1 Bit, 5644kbps but it seems the tracks are having a kind of cicking / hard sound in the background, such a distortion or similar noise like artifacts or clicking in the treble). I'm wondering. The files are playing very fine on my old Sony Walkman 100.
Can a dig. filter generate this hard noise? Listening via BT LDAC (the same way on my Sony Walkman). Is it possible that the M9 is not good in handling with files in the highest peak (~0dB)? I don't know about the correct dB of the affected files.
In the begin of "Billie Jean" I can hear the distortion.... then it seems the mastering engineer leveled the peak down or it was the device...this is the question....does have any one Thriller as HiRes and can check that behaviour, pls? I never heard it before on my Sony Walkman...
"Beat it" has the same problems while clapping? with hands in the song.... the whole track is affected...
Is there any pre-gain for bluetooth connections? The amplifier section (low / high gain) ist not working in this case.....
I thought I was going crazy, I have this problem too. It's specific tracks, and it doesn't matter how I twiddle any settings, balanced vs unbalanced, etc. I have no idea what the pattern is, but I have one track I'll post a sample of that is completely unlistenable on this player for the clipping sounds.

I like this DAP much better than the AK70, but I do have some issues:
  • the aforementioned clipping sound
  • the USB C port doesn't seem to charge with standard USB C charging cables?? let alone fast charge. This totally defeats the purpose of USB C if I have to carry around the specific cable that came with the DAP.
  • Why do none of these DAPs respect artist or album artist sort order? Why don't they list "artist" by the "album artist" tag? The way it works right now it splits soundtracks and most hiphop albums into at least five different albums/artists!

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,000 of 2,501
  • Why do none of these DAPs respect artist or album artist sort order? Why don't they list "artist" by the "album artist" tag? The way it works right now it splits soundtracks and most hiphop albums into at least five different albums/artists!

With the cayin n3 the same thing also happens. When that happens, it only remains to search by album.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,001 of 2,501
  • the USB C port doesn't seem to charge with standard USB C charging cables?? let alone fast charge. This totally defeats the purpose of USB C if I have to carry around the specific cable that came with the DAP.

Is there something proprietary about the usb c? I tried to connect to my pc via a new usb c to usb c cable and my pc didn’t recognize the device nor did the m9 begin to charge. I thought maybe my cable was the problem as I don’t have anything else that uses usb c, but now seeing this post I’m wondering if the M9 is the culprit?

Edit: Tested my pc's usb c port by attempting to charge the pc through the port with the Fiio supplied cable and confirmed that the port is working on my PC.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,002 of 2,501
Is there something proprietary about the usb c? I tried to connect to my pc via a new usb c to usb c cable and my pc didn’t recognize the device nor did the m9 begin to charge. I thought maybe my cable was the problem as I don’t have anything else that uses usb c, but now seeing this post I’m wondering if the M9 is the culprit?
Waiting for more people to chime in regarding this...

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,004 of 2,501
With the cayin n3 the same thing also happens. When that happens, it only remains to search by album.

So aggravating, it feels like all these vendors work so hard on getting the hardware perfect, and then make boneheaded UX decisions to make using their devices a chore. Compare the UX here to e.g. n7player on android and it's not even the same generation. When do you ever want to view artists by the individual track artist tags??

Regular cable works fine for me as well as a USB2 to USB-C cable.

Can you be more specific about which cable, with e.g. an Amazon product link? Unfortunately USB-C cables are not interchangeable in the way that micro USB cables are. I've tried the standard Apple USB-C cable as well as this Anker cable. Neither will charge, no matter connected to laptop nor direct AC charging plug, nor transfer data. Unfortunate because these are known to be very solid charging cables...

Can anyone do me a favor and try out this track on their M9? I'll have to take it down soon but if you could give it a spin I'd be appreciative. It clips absolutely horribly for me :frowning2: Some observations:
  • it's 24-bit FLAC
  • it clips the same on the internal storage and my SD card
  • it does not clip when using the player as a DAC
that last point makes me hopeful that it's a bug in the software and not some sort of hardware flaw

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,005 of 2,501
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181226113726160_COVER~2-01.jpeg
About 20 hours in. Really enjoy the functionality (offline Spotify for me, primarily). Sounded veiled and congested out of the box but with some trial and error, I'm really liking the sound on high gain and with balance boost on. Dynamism has increased and micro details are much more present now. Still find the mids and treble a tad too smooth but for the price and the functions it offer, no complains from me.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181226113726160_COVER~2.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181226113726160_COVER~2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back