FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 23, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #947 of 2,501
@Sven2015 - I am not sure I read if you did this anywhere, but you had the Gapless enabled from settings, and tried a reset yet? This usually fixes this kind of issue
I did it and "oops, I dit it again" and it seems it's working now without any problems.
It's curious. My first resets (factory and data base) were useless, but the second reset was successful. In addition, I don't know why FLAC need a switch for "gapless playback", cause the file format has no gaps at the end of a track so never a gap can happens while track change....but it seems both resets fixed the problem ( I hope so... I tested it with my "problem album" and no gaps occur while listening the whole album - I got the same result with another album - fine). Thanks for the hint! :)

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #948 of 2,501
I've gone into the developer options on the M9 and I can root it so I'm going to see what apps i can manually install myself.
Please see if you can install Plex...

And do you have access to UI elements (like text etc.)? Is it easy enough to fix spelling errors for example? Or graphics displayed on certain screens (like Airplay and BT)?

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #950 of 2,501
Is there any way to create playlists outside of the device/GUI?

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #951 of 2,501
Yep - I just use the same standard M3U8 playlists I’ve used on all FiiO devices. You can create them with Foobar. Once you get the hang of it though - easy enough to create manually.

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #952 of 2,501
Yep - I just use the same standard M3U8 playlists I’ve used on all FiiO devices. You can create them with Foobar. Once you get the hang of it though - easy enough to create manually.
Good to know. Can you point me to any good tutorials or how-tos? I don't have any experience with Foobar.

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #953 of 2,501
Another question: is there any way to edit metadata on the M9 itself? Transferring files from my Mac to the M9 has revealed various glitches that results in, for example, tracks being split between two albums that have almost the same name. iTunes is more forgiving in this regard, but the M9 reveals flaws easily. As I encounter problems I have been deleting and replacing files and then re-scanning the folder, but it is cumbersome to say the least.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #954 of 2,501
I’m just about to pull the trigger on one of these M9 players but would like to ask you guys that are using th M9 what would be a good brand of micro sd card that works well in this player without issues and would a 256 GB card hold many FLAC files ? Sorry for what seems a stupid question but this is me dipping my toe into the world of DAP players. Thanks

Higher end Sandisk or Samsung EVO Select

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #955 of 2,501
@JamesFiiOWhy would I want to use WiFi rather than Bluetooth? Because it sounds better. Just a little, but to me that is a lot.

Wifi transmission (Airplay excepted) is lossless, which is probably why it sounds a little better to you. I'm surprised that you don't just use a computer with the music on it to send to your system though, eg: Roon.

I’m just about to pull the trigger on one of these M9 players but would like to ask you guys that are using th M9 what would be a good brand of micro sd card that works well in this player without issues and would a 256 GB card hold many FLAC files ? Sorry for what seems a stupid question but this is me dipping my toe into the world of DAP players. Thanks

Sandisk or Samsung.

I reckon FiiO must have had no idea what they were starting with the whitelisting of apps. They probably imagined that Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz and two or three others would be it, LOL.

What happens when you ask customers for what they want and try and give them everything: The A&K KANN.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #956 of 2,501
For those wondering (and for online search terms and thread search), ex-fat / ex fat works fine on the M9. Some previous FiiO devices required FAT32 / FAT 32 to work.

Formated my 128GB Samsung EVO Select Class 10 as exFAT with 128kB allocation size and it works nicely on the M9.

(ignore the weirdly typed things above, they are meant for online word parsing and searching)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #957 of 2,501
What happens when you ask customers for what they want and try and give them everything: The A&K KANN.

I feel like half the people here asking for if it does X or Y would be better suited with a smartphone and a external DAC/Amp....or a high powered DAP with a non-locked Android

As James FiiO said, most of the stuff is not supported as it would "suck" due to the LP SoC on the M9

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #958 of 2,501
Yes, you've nailed it. For all that stuff, the X7II exists (or maybe a future X7III with better specs).

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #959 of 2,501
Wifi transmission (Airplay excepted) is lossless, which is probably why it sounds a little better to you. I'm surprised that you don't just use a computer with the music on it to send to your system though, eg: Roon.

Sandisk or Samsung.

Hi Currawong

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It's clear that most people on this thread are not interested in the points I have raised, which is fair, but you kindly took the time to reply. I appreciate that. Should I expect the M9 to cast to various WiFi boxes such as Arcam AirDac, EZ'Cast music streamer etc, etc? Would it debilitate the M9? Well it is interesting that you think I should use my computer to do that. My wish is to sit in my lounge with the M9 and my music library on the M9 and play my library over WiFi to HiFi (of course I use this very good player with IEM's too). Sadly I have a rather incapacitating illness that curtails my energy levels so I do need a little control from my lounge. Possibly I'm expecting too much of this really well priced and great little player? Perhaps you are right. But there exits a little app on the play store called HiFy and it's possibly a one off. It's loaded onto my Android Samsung S9 plus, therefore needs no whitelisting, and immediately recognises my Arcam Airplay, EZCast and links with Spotify on the M9. In the 'connect to a device' settings in my M9 Spotify the Arcam box then shows up as airDAC DLNA or airDAC AIRPLAY and I can listen to my Spotify steaming over WiFi and my HiFi, using the M9... and it sounds really good. It works without slowing or incapacitating the M9. If it can be done for Spotify probably it could be done for the FiiO app. That would open up the M9 a lot. I appreciate your scientific approach to questions and I respect your reviews as one of the elders of Head Fi. I think each query rests on it's science. If Fiio don't want to listen then it's their product and I chose to buy it, but not listening is in realty the cause of half the problems of the world. FiiO seem to respond to a minority of queries. They could could do better. There are companies who go to incredible lengths to work with their customers.

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #960 of 2,501
Not happy with the replies you get from tech support at Fiio
Screenshot_20181224_111012.jpg
Format a 512gb card and have to transfer my files over again ... Not an option ! Buying another SD card Not an option ! How about you fixing the buggy firmware ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back