FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #766 of 2,501
Just to check is this considered better than fiio x5iii?

I'll probably buck the trend here a bit. Sound-wise most DAPs are equivalent - slight changes in tonality - but most nowadays have equivalent distortion levels, crosstalk levels, SNR levels etc, and anything that matters is below the level of audibility.

From a GUI perspective the M9 is a lot more fluid, and a little more stable - but its also locked down quite a bit more (less you can do with it)

The things I'd miss from the X5iii are:
- Viper (I use it all the time)
- Access to any app I want (within reason). Eg - I often use Neutron
- Tonality. Yes the X5iii is a warm DAP. Its also really nice to listen to.

I have access to DAPs ranging right up to 1K plus - the one I still tend to use the most is the X5iii. Its not perfect. I'm going to have a crack at installing a custom kernel and see if that speeds things up a bit.

With every DAP there are compromises. Thats why there is no best. We all have different triggers. The best is what suits your individual preferences best.

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #767 of 2,501
Sorry to ask again, but does anyone have the Pioneer XDP-30R fo comparison? I just got one and think it sounds great but it's my first modern DAP and I don't mind spending more for the M9 if the SQ is significantly better?

thx

bob

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #769 of 2,501
Sorry to ask again, but does anyone have the Pioneer XDP-30R fo comparison? I just got one and think it sounds great but it's my first modern DAP and I don't mind spending more for the M9 if the SQ is significantly better?

thx

bob

I'mma give you some tips. Like what you've got. You're on a path of upgrade-itis man.

There is ALWAYS better out there. Sometimes being ok with what you have and liking it is fine. :D

Anyway, gonna let other people answer if they can now.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #770 of 2,501
Anybody compared it to the dx120?

Scroll up! Someone did only a few posts before yours. Seriously, please search threads before asking questions like that.

I'll probably buck the trend here a bit. Sound-wise most DAPs are equivalent - slight changes in tonality - but most nowadays have equivalent distortion levels, crosstalk levels, SNR levels etc, and anything that matters is below the level of audibility.

I've found it depends on the music. I have recordings which I know well the level of depth and detail available. With those, something like the AK380 I have here sounds very clearly better. On the other hand, there's a lot of music I like -- most of it mainstream -- for which the AK380 provides no benefit.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #771 of 2,501
Hey guys, can the Fiio M9 deal with WiFi that require a login, eg. hotel's authentification page ? My work WiFi requires that for external devices and I'll mostly use the DAP there or at hotels.
Thanks!

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #772 of 2,501
Morning all. Overall really enjoying this nifty and versatile DAP. There are two kinks I am trying to iron out and wondering if anyone has had similar issues:
- I have paired the M9 with a portable speaker and it works flawlessly. I also paired it with my phone (iPhone 8) - shows as paired but cannot connect. Whether initiating connection from phone or DAP, I can see it connects and then immediately disconnects.
- I cannot managed to do a file transfer over WiFi. In the Fiio Music app I have gone to WiFi file transfer and on the computer (Mac Mini) have tried to go to the specified URL, but it cannot find the server. Browser just sits trying to find the IP address. DLNA works fine though from the same Mac.

Many thanks in advance!

PS. running the latest firmware.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #773 of 2,501
Hey guys, can the Fiio M9 deal with WiFi that require a login, eg. hotel's authentification page ? My work WiFi requires that for external devices and I'll mostly use the DAP there or at hotels.
Thanks!
You can install es file explorer, after connecting to the wifi, launch es file explorer and access a internet site e.g. google, it will redirect you to the wifi login page ... That's what i am doing when connecting to wifi requiring login.

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #774 of 2,501
I'mma give you some tips. Like what you've got. You're on a path of upgrade-itis man.

There is ALWAYS better out there. Sometimes being ok with what you have and liking it is fine. :D

Anyway, gonna let other people answer if they can now.
That's what I thought. Be happy with your Pio if you like the player. There's no reason for another that could sound better.
The only thing I miss on the Pio: It doesn't support the Creative Super Xfi Amp.
But therefor you don't need a hires player. Every mobile phone with Android would do the job, if it had enough memory.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #775 of 2,501
You can install es file explorer, after connecting to the wifi, launch es file explorer and access a internet site e.g. google, it will redirect you to the wifi login page ... That's what i am doing when connecting to wifi requiring login.

Thanks for the workaround tip!

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #776 of 2,501
:beerchug:Thanks for sharing.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 14, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #777 of 2,501
I got the FiiO M9 today. The first thing that I noticed was the battery. It drained very very fast despite simple music listening and was also quick at charging to the point that 25% to 100% took just around 35 - 40 mins. (It was getting hot while charging too).

I don't think this will last at about 10 hours if it drains battery like this. Now I am quite worried whether this is normal or not.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #778 of 2,501
I got the FiiO M9 today. The first thing that I noticed was the battery. It drained very very fast despite simple music listening and was also quick at charging to the point that 25% to 100% took just around 35 - 40 mins. (It was getting hot while charging too).

I don't think this will last at about 10 hours if it drains battery like this. Now I am quite worried whether this is normal or not.
Charge it to full and try again, it might be on the first charge or something with the cold during shipping and all that. If this happens again after you charge it, wait an hour and use it. Return as defective.

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #780 of 2,501
It isn't, as battery life both for the M9 and M3K are excellent, able to stay in sleep mode for days on end and awakened with a healthy charge preserved.

Hello. I have tried a few different scenarios for sleep mode. If i set the sleep setting for “x” amount of minutes it seems like it powers on after I come back to it as a regular boot. If I turn off sleep and amd automatic power off it just turns the screen off and saves position in song.

Is that what fiio means about the 40 day life sitting on that screen at the same position or having it power right down till next time?

Is there a difference between sleep and power off?

Also, if I wanted to utilize the power bump from the balanced connector without buying a balanced cable set would the fiio brand 2.5 trrs to 3.5 adapter provide that power boost?

I would be aware that it won’t be a fully balanced setup though as intended but it may be a way to squeeze a bit more juice out with higher impedance headphones without changing the sound quality over the 3.5 output ?

Does that logic sound correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back