[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3,076 of 3,610
After the app whitelist has been done away with have you guys any music app that you enjoy more than the fiio music app? And did anyone successfully get play store to work?

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #3,079 of 3,610
After the app whitelist has been done away with have you guys any music app that you enjoy more than the fiio music app? And did anyone successfully get play store to work?

Not sure about the Play Store, but I've installed Musicolet. It's the music app I use on my cellphone and I like it more than the default Fiio one.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #3,080 of 3,610
Not Playstore - but I side loaded Neutron and it works pretty well. Good for if I want to toy with a parametric EQ or engage some DSP. Most of the time I just use Pure Music though.

Jan 11, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #3,082 of 3,610
Just got a M6 today. It is replacing a M0. The M0 was just too small for my fat fingers to navigate the UI. I just used it like a big iPod Shuffle. Anyway, when I saw the Android Transfer software (I use a Mac) I just about packaged it up and sent it back. Several years ago I bought an Astell and Kern AK100II. Cost around $1k. It was very pretty. And moving songs on it was buggy and slow. Transfer just sucked. Anyway, once I got that running, it worked very well. That's bueno. Connect wireless earphones. Bueno. Play some Donald Fagan (it's HD). Bueno. Sounds excellent except for one thing, the volume on BT is low. I looked and it said to twiddle in developer mode. Volume is still low. I'm sure there is a switch somewhere but I haven't found it. Wired is fine. Once I get the wireless volume thing working right, I'm sure I will like it.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #3,083 of 3,610
Just want to share my findings re: the M6, its latest firmware and the ability to install any apps onto it. I've updated my M6 to the latest firmware & did that tapping thing to enable all apps to be installed and not just the whitelisted ones. I also enabled developed mode. I then proceeded to download the APK's for the latest versions of Spotify, Musicolet & Fiio Music from the APK Pure website. The installation of Musicolet went very smoothly, and I didn't have to uninstall the previous version of Musicolet to do it because a dialog popped up asking if I want the app to be updated, to which I answered yes. The latest version of Musicolet worked fine too. But it was a different story with Fiio Music & Spotify. In the case of Fiio Music, I couldn't even install/update the app because an error came up saying something about it conflicting with an existing version. As for Spotify, installation & update to the latest app version went without a hitch, but then when I opened the updated Spotify app, it became very laggy and it was as if the whole DAP froze up and became unresponsive.

So, for now I'm stuck with the version of Fiio Music that came installed with the latest firmware. Not sure if this Fiio Music app can be uninstalled & then installed 'cleanly' from the APK. Regarding Spotify, I've uninstalled the latest version of the app and reinstalled the most recent Fiio-whitelisted version, which works fine & not laggy. I just like having the latest versions of apps & not outdated ones, but in the case of the M6 I think I'll have to live with it...for now.

FWIW, I hope this will be of help. Just wondering though, has anyone experienced this?

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #3,085 of 3,610
I tries to install Spotify Lite but I am getting the error "This app isn't compatible with your phone".

As this device has very limited resources, I expect the lite version to greatly help with reducing the load on this system.

I updated to firmware 1.0.3 and bypassed the whitelist by clicking the kernel version button multiple times, as was required.

Has anyone else faced this issue? What could be the issue? @FiiO @JamesFiiO

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #3,086 of 3,610
Oh definitely; indicated above the Neutron version that works (abitdeef provided the package/architecture name), I mentioned the 1.13 version of MediaMonkey as the last one working, and Pulsar/VLC/Samba Player/NewPipe are the most recent ones in apkpure as far as I recall.

Can anyone confirm the last working version of MediaMonkey? I would like to test the player with Fiio M6, but last version 1.3.6 asks me to update google play services....

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #3,087 of 3,610
Running into some issues with Musicolet & album art...so switching back to Fiio Music app, which works okay except that when one hits the 'previous track' button, it often jumps to a totally random track that wasn't in the queue at all. Then if the 'next track' button is pressed, it changes to a totally random, un-queued track as well and not one that was playing before the shenanigans started :\

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #3,089 of 3,610
You need a USB OTG data cable to do audio out. And yes it will drive both those very nicely.

Do i also need to select the USB mode as 'audio source' in developer settings for this to work? I'm currently trying to pair my M6 to the Chord Mojo and it's not working. No signal to the Mojo.Probably is the USB C-micro USB cable that i'm using but would just like to be sure.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #3,090 of 3,610
Do i also need to select the USB mode as 'audio source' in developer settings for this to work? I'm currently trying to pair my M6 to the Chord Mojo and it's not working. No signal to the Mojo.Probably is the USB C-micro USB cable that i'm using but would just like to be sure.
I just plug my DAC in and it works without any settings change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back