FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Sep 28, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #197 of 2,001
  I quite often go to backpacking trips of up to seven days long, no electricity. I need a lightweight device with a reasonable sound and as much battery life as possible. The M3 can't arrive soon enough. 

You know, there are solar and crank chargers. Just letting you know.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #198 of 2,001
Tober138 said:
More battery life is always a good thing. But at a certain point, how often are people not around a power source for 40+ hours at a time?

Good point. However it does seem like modern players have dismal battery life, especially compared to my six year old Zune HD which still gets 24 hours out of a charge.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #200 of 2,001
I was also referring to players like the clip using far LESS powerful components but still getting less than eight hours.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #201 of 2,001
I was also referring to players like the clip using far LESS powerful components but still getting less than eight hours.

Less than 8 hours???? It must be a very old one that was heavily used. Players do lose battery capacity with use and with age.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #202 of 2,001
  Less than 8 hours???? It must be a very old one that was heavily used. Players do lose battery capacity with use and with age.

"Players do lose battery capacity with use and with age"

Indeed they do, just ask the guy I use as my Apple tech how many Mini, Nona batteries he's replaced for me:frowning2:

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #203 of 2,001
My first generation Clip seems to be on its way out since the battery seems to last about 4 hours max. I was considering grabbing a Clip+, but the M3 seems like a much better player. Really excited about this one, the release can't come soon enough! Here's hoping there will be a case with a clip available to purchase, first-party or otherwise.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #206 of 2,001
Good point. However it does seem like modern players have dismal battery life, especially compared to my six year old Zune HD which still gets 24 hours out of a charge.

The Zune HD also has HD radio. I'm curious, how long does the battery last playing HD radio? One thing I don't quite understand though is why some mp3 players with FM radio(not HD, just regular FM) get much less battery life playing the radio than playing mp3 files. I would love to have a player with HD radio, not just for the improved sound quality, but also to get the major AM news and talk stations which are also simulcast on HD stations. In some large cities, the FM band is crammed with just music stations, and to get news or talk stations one needs to have AM radio or HD radio. It seems like in the past HD radio consumed a large amount of power to receive, although HD radio receiving circuitry has supposedly become much more energy efficient over the years. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #207 of 2,001
I'd love something like an M3 but with no headphone amp or HO - just
a line out. A true source.

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #209 of 2,001
  The Zune HD also has HD radio. I'm curious, how long does the battery last playing HD radio? One thing I don't quite understand though is why some mp3 players with FM radio(not HD, just regular FM) get much less battery life playing the radio than playing mp3 files. I would love to have a player with HD radio, not just for the improved sound quality, but also to get the major AM news and talk stations which are also simulcast on HD stations. In some large cities, the FM band is crammed with just music stations, and to get news or talk stations one needs to have AM radio or HD radio. It seems like in the past HD radio consumed a large amount of power to receive, although HD radio receiving circuitry has supposedly become much more energy efficient over the years. 

I've never tested the battery life using only HD radio, but I can tell you it sounds exactly as you'd expect. What first sticks out is the complete lack of static...you don't realize how much there is even on the best of tuners until it's gone. I live in Windsor so I get loads of stations from Detroit, sometimes I use my Zune for Tigers broadcasts and it sounds great. Would really love a full on HD tuner for the house to also tinker with AM HD but since it was never 'technically' adopted by the CRTC, nor the public at large, really they are impossible to find.

I'd love something like an M3 but with no headphone amp or HO - just
a line out. A true source.

A headphone output is basically a line out with a volume control...not sure what you mean by this, unless somehow you believe that the volume control 'degrades the sound' in some audible fashion which is ludicrous.

Back on topic! The M3 has me extremely interested. Previously was looking at the X1 but now I'm not sure, this nano sized device looks sexy. Power output is more than enough for my needs and the 18 hours of battery would shut me up about battery life in daps. Bring it on! Or wait didn't I hear mention of an M5 somewhere....?

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #210 of 2,001

I've never tested the battery life using only HD radio, but I can tell you it sounds exactly as you'd expect. What first sticks out is the complete lack of static...you don't realize how much there is even on the best of tuners until it's gone. I live in Windsor so I get loads of stations from Detroit, sometimes I use my Zune for Tigers broadcasts and it sounds great. Would really love a full on HD tuner for the house to also tinker with AM HD but since it was never 'technically' adopted by the CRTC, nor the public at large, really they are impossible to find.

A headphone output is basically a line out with a volume control...not sure what you mean by this, unless somehow you believe that the volume control 'degrades the sound' in some audible fashion which is ludicrous.

Back on topic! The M3 has me extremely interested. Previously was looking at the X1 but now I'm not sure, this nano sized device looks sexy. Power output is more than enough for my needs and the 18 hours of battery would shut me up about battery life in daps. Bring it on! Or wait didn't I hear mention of an M5 somewhere....?

Volume pots do degrade sound or bad ones do - your statement is ludicrous not mine

Most DAPs have average at best internal amps, let the case just play the music and let the amplification be done by something better.
Lots of people here have DAPs where the HO is never used,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back