FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #166 of 2,001

The reason I asked is that "on the go" I could never hear a difference. Some iPods have very clean HO

Indeed, the 7th gen Nano has a good HO output and the RS is really overkill for the majority of phones (mostly iem's) I run on it. Mt U2 30GB 5th gen classic has a really good HO as well as my 4th & 5th gen Touch's.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #167 of 2,001
No 'only' 77 the E585 that's why I said' similar' and with buttons on . But all Walkmans are good.

Edit. As for Apple, no, but a Classic gives 30+ hours easily (more with LOD/Amp) which is pretty good for a comparatively ancient design.. I was just saying you don't necessarily have to put up a short battery life.

Nevertheless the new Fiio looks (a first for me) interesting. an alternative to the Clip+ which has an absolutely pathetic battery life. despite which I sitll like it !

The Sony E585 is discontinued though. It only has 16GB of memory and no card slot, so it doesn't have enough storage.

"I was just saying you don't necessarily have to put up a short battery life."

So far, I do though if I want enough storage( 32GB+), and decently sturdy hardware and firmware. That is why I am hoping that Fiio will provide a player with 40+ hours of battery life, a card slot, and FM radio for under $100.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #168 of 2,001
The Sony E585 is discontinued though. It only has 16GB of memory and no card slot, so it doesn't have enough storage.

"I was just saying you don't necessarily have to put up a short battery life."

So far, I do though if I want enough storage( 32GB+), and decently sturdy hardware and firmware. That is why I am hoping that Fiio will provide a player with 40+ hours of battery life, a card slot, and FM radio for under $100.

Well seems we can't have it all. Pay double and you can get the A15 though which has all those things.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #169 of 2,001
Well seems we can't have it all. Pay double and you can get the A15 though which has all those things.

That is exactly my point. TheSony  A15 though only has around 40 or 50 hours of battery life, and not the 80 to 90 hours of the Cowon M2. At current prices I would rather buy the Cowon M2 than the even more expensive Sony A15, although I am not thrilled with either. In the meantime I'll use my Sandisk Clip players. I have a few of them, so I could carry two or more of them to get more play time. Not ideal, but perhaps better than the alternatives. I do have usb battery packs, so I could carry those with a Clip+. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #170 of 2,001
That is exactly my point. TheSony  A15 though only has around 40 or 50 hours of battery life, and not the 80 to 90 hours of the Cowon M2. At current prices I would rather buy the Cowon M2 than the even more expensive Sony A15, although I am not thrilled with either. In the meantime I'll use my Sandisk Clip players. I have a few of them, so I could carry two or more of them to get more play time. Not ideal, but perhaps better than the alternatives. I do have usb battery packs, so I could carry those with a Clip+. 

More battery life is always a good thing. But at a certain point, how often are people not around a power source for 40+ hours at a time?

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #171 of 2,001
More battery life is always a good thing. But at a certain point, how often are people not around a power source for 40+ hours at a time?

It isn't a matter of how long one is away from power, it is a matter of remembering to set aside a player to charge. Some people like to keep a player in a gym locker, and take it home to charge once a month or less. Ideally using an easily swappable battery that can be charged a few at a time outside the player would be best. i like to think about the ratio of play time to charge time. There are many players that play around 12 hours with three hours of charging, so play time is 4x charge time. Now imagine a player that plays 50 hours on a AA 2500 mah nimh battery. Now imagine charging 4 at a time in a 15 minute charger. Play time becomes 800 times charge time! 

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #172 of 2,001
Having an mp3 player with under 20 hours of battery life is like having a car with a 2 gallon gas tank! One would need to be very focused on how much capacity is left.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #173 of 2,001
Having an mp3 player with under 20 hours of battery life is like having a car with a 2 gallon gas tank! One would need to be very focused on how much capacity is left.
That's why they make gauges. It's really very simple.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #175 of 2,001
I listen all day at work and never had a dap with over 10 hours a charge.
Never been a problem for me...

there are mp3 which battery life is about 200 hours. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #177 of 2,001
That's great news! Now we only need a mini amp that matches M3's dimensions, so that we can make an ultraportable brick stack 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #178 of 2,001

there are mp3 which battery life is about 200 hours. 

I don't know of any. The longest I have seen is 110 hours. There are very few players though that have over 40 hours of battery life. For me, around 40 or 50 hours would probably be the best compromise between player size and weight, and the inconvenience of having to charge the player very often. I wouldn't mind 90 or 100 hours though if the player is still reasonably lightweight(under 4 ounces) and still fits in a typical shirt pocket. I do want the price to be $100 or less though. I can't think of any players available now with over 40 hours of battery life, a card slot, FM radio, and a price under $100.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #179 of 2,001
Don't really understand how plugging in a device to recharge it is an inconvenience. My 4 yr. old has a tablet and when she sees the battery icon is low she plugs it in on her own.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #180 of 2,001
Don't really understand how plugging in a device to recharge it is an inconvenience. My 4 yr. old has a tablet and when she sees the battery icon is low she plugs it in on her own.

Are you saying your 4yo is smarter than the average super-long-battery-life DAP owner?
:wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back