FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Feb 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,336 of 2,001
Thank you Podster, BloodyPenguin, & Brooko. With your help I was able to change the language to English. And, I thought that Cowon players were difficult to navigate.........but, at least now I can read the menu items. I'm sure that I'll have more questions tomorrow, when I upgrade the firmware. I do have 2 questions before that.
1,) When I add music files should I put them in folders (of my making), or simply drag and drop them all into the Fiio folder (which already contains 1 folder, System Volume Information, and.......2 files, CUE.LIB and MUSIC.LIB)?
2.) When the Fiio folder is opened, I assume that is the root directory where I will place the M3.hex file to upgrade. Is that correct?

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,337 of 2,001
No problem :)

My advice would be to use organised hierarchial folders - it keeps things tidy, and also means that if you use folder mode, you'll find things quicker.  On all my Fiio devices I use:

/A-C/Artist Name/Album/Tracks
/D-E/Artist Name/Album/Tracks
/F-H/Artist Name/Album/Tracks

etc.

And for upgrading - yes - drop the Hex file into the root directory.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,338 of 2,001
Just ordered one of these M3's on Amazon, can't wait for it to be here. Anyone have any experience with the Xduoo x3? Curious about SQ comparisons

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,339 of 2,001
  No problem :)

My advice would be to use organised hierarchial folders - it keeps things tidy, and also means that if you use folder mode, you'll find things quicker.  On all my Fiio devices I use:

/A-C/Artist Name/Album/Tracks
/D-E/Artist Name/Album/Tracks
/F-H/Artist Name/Album/Tracks

etc.

And for upgrading - yes - drop the Hex file into the root directory.

I'll try your recommendation....thanks. 

I did upgrade the firmware on my M3, without incident. It turned out to be a painless process. Upon initial observation, I am impressed with the quality of the M3's sound. It is definitely superior to sandisk clip +, which I also own. Before I received the M3, I had some reservations.....they have been completely erased.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,341 of 2,001
  What's the screen like in bright sunlight? I used to have a X3ii, but couldn't see a thing on the beach even if I turned it away from the sun.

Pretty much like a mirror unless you're in the shade.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,342 of 2,001
Have the M3 (FW: 1.7) the third day now and i have to say i am impressed. Size, battery life, SQ....ok, there is no RG but (i think) its on X3 beta already - chances are high (at least i hope) that it'll be available on all/other fiios as well.
BUT: the UI is.... There is a LOT room for improvements. and its not just the handling.

My folder structure is:
Artist/(Year) Album/Tracknumber(2dig) - trackname - artist.*
e.g.
Gregory Porter/(2011) Be Good/01 - Painted on Canvas - Gregory Porter.flac
The files are tagged like that as well (yes, the album incl. the year as well)!

i put less then 4000 songs onto my 64GB card. so this shouldnt be an issue
obvioulsy there is 12 character limit of a databse entry and  this is _very_ annoying
not just that the artists are limited (ok, i can guess what "Bruce Spring" means) but this is the case for the album/track as well.
once i select "Bruce Spring" i can see the following albums
(1973) Greet
(1973) The W
(1975) Born
etc

sorting in file view doesn't work at all
01, 10, 02...we talked about that

The artists are sorted like:
You + Me
Zaz
John Jenkins
Gregory Porter
Jamie Cullum

and: all the above is working on my X5ii - so fiio should know how to do it :D

As i (will) use the M3 mainly for sports in shuffle mode (use my X5ii for on the go), its not the big problem, but its not nice either.
just my 2c

PS: would have posted some pics, but it seems i have to less posts...

EDIT: typos

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #1,343 of 2,001
 I upgraded the M3 firmware to 1.5. Now, I realize that 1.7 is the most recent. My question is, should I leave the 1.5 hex file in the M3 root directory, or delete it before I copy the 1.7 hex file to the M3? I tend to think that deleting it, is the best way to go, but I want to make sure.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,344 of 2,001
   I upgraded the M3 firmware to 1.5. Now, I realize that 1.7 is the most recent. My question is, should I leave the 1.5 hex file in the M3 root directory, or delete it before I copy the 1.7 hex file to the M3? I tend to think that deleting it, is the best way to go, but I want to make sure.

You can just delete the 1.5.  Then move over the 1.7 hex file.  Then follow the install instructions.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,346 of 2,001
  Thanks.......That's what I thought, but I wanted verification.....in fact, after I upgrade to 1.7, I suppose its hex file is of no more use, and can be deleted.

100% Correct.  You can delete the Hex file after the updated install.

--

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,347 of 2,001
I like the direct access of the front buttons when screen is off with fw 1.7.....much more convenient now. However, I can't figure out where the options are, with 1.7, to clear favorites/playlists, and to delete individual songs from them. What am I missing?

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,349 of 2,001
I got my M3 today, a black one. It looks pretty

And now I have a question. How can i set the language to English ?

Instructions were posted a couple pages back I believe:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,350 of 2,001
Thanks found it now how about making the volume go up ... haha

First impression this is a pretty thing and feels well built. If I ever get a gopro i will do a comparison of the M3, X3 and Clip+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back