FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #302 of 2,001
"but I don't think FiiO is going to change what they are doing to accommodate a the request of a few when it doesn't appeal to the majority of their customer base. "

How do you know many wouldn't want it? There isn't any current decent quality player under $100 that uses an easily swappable battery.

I started a thread on the Sandisk forums requesting a AA battery powered player. The thread has received almost 70,000 views, and has 164 replies, so obviously there are plenty of people interested in such a player. Now that there are inexpensive rechargeable standard Lion rechargeabgle batteries such as the CR123A rechargeable, a player that uses an easily swappable one of those would be a more up to date suggestion, as Lion battries do have higher energy density than nimh batteries.

I have been a Sandisk player fan, however Sandisk's last two players have been disappointing, so I would like to become a Fiio fan. hopefully Fiio will start making some players that are very different than what is currently available. For example, there isn't a decent player under $100 with a card slot and 40+ hours of battery life. There also isn't a decent one under $100 that has a card slot and uses an easily swappable battery. There are inexpensive no contract cell phones, however they are larger and bulkier, and use a proprietary battery, most of which either aren't that inexpensive, or that easy to find(especially after a few years). Some places also don't allow anything with a built in camera, which is another reason why a cheap no contract phone isn't necessarily a good replacement for an mp3 player.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Site-suggestions-Product-feature/AA-battery-powered-mp3-player/td-p/63452

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #303 of 2,001
  "but I don't think FiiO is going to change what they are doing to accommodate a the request of a few when it doesn't appeal to the majority of their customer base. "

How do you know many wouldn't want it? There isn't any current decent quality player under $100 that uses an easily swappable battery.

I started a thread on the Sandisk forums requesting a AA battery powered player. The thread has received almost 70,000 views, and has 164 replies, so obviously there are plenty of people interested in such a player. Now that there are inexpensive rechargeable standard Lion rechargeabgle batteries such as the CR123A rechargeable, a player that uses an easily swappable one of those would be a more up to date suggestion, as Lion battries do have higher energy density than nimh batteries.

I have been a Sandisk player fan, however Sandisk's last two players have been disappointing, so I would like to become a Fiio fan. hopefully Fiio will start making some players that are very different than what is currently available. For example, there isn't a decent player under $100 with a card slot and 40+ hours of battery life. There also isn't a decent one under $100 that has a card slot and uses an easily swappable battery. There are inexpensive no contract cell phones, however they are larger and bulkier, and use a proprietary battery, most of which either aren't that inexpensive, or that easy to find(especially after a few years). Some places also don't allow anything with a built in camera, which is another reason why a cheap no contract phone isn't necessarily a good replacement for an mp3 player.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Site-suggestions-Product-feature/AA-battery-powered-mp3-player/td-p/63452

I'm not saying people wouldn't be interested, but 70,000 people is not a very large customer base in a global market which is my point.  No company would do this because it's bad business.  It doesn't matter what I say, you will disagree and that's fine, but If you want all of these battery options then you should probably invent it yourself.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #304 of 2,001
It may sound arrogant, but I believe the actual rationale here may be that "the customers don't know what they want (implies)."

The power density of AA batteries is so low compared to lithium batteries (not even taking into account that they come in unwieldy cylinders) that you'd be bulking up the player seriously AND reducing runtime seriously at the same time. The requisite AA cell alone is probably larger than the M3 in one dimension or another...

At least there's a tenable argument between slotted, swappable lithium batteries and lithium batteries welded in place. But again, making the battery easily swappable means using up extra space for containment of the battery, whereas with the battery not being designed for user service in our current designs, the chassis of the device itself serves as containment for the battery, saving valuable space for extra battery capacity.

:xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #305 of 2,001
So nice, is it going to be availabe in black? or dark grey? and maybe with a clip or a hole to wear it like a keychain? that would be so cool...and with that price I bet sandisk is getting really scared.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #306 of 2,001
AA batteries dude, I saw your post before on the sandisk forum (I like sansa too, as most people here), but aren't most of those replies negative? I remember a time (Im old) when I was walking around with my walkman, and then the diskman, and after 2 or 3 hours the music was gone and that was it, also, I don't think many of us live that far away of a place where we can't just plug our players every couple of days instead of carrying a bunch of batteries, and if you still want to recharge those batteries, why charge them for a couple of hours if you can charge your player and it last for days, and it's easier to carry just the player and it's cable than the player, 2 batteries, another 2 spare batteries for the hours it takes to charge the other ones, the batteries charger and the bateries charger cable, and I'd prefer the space taken by 2 AA batteries to be for a bigger screen for example, I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I look at my clip+ and clip zip a big reason I like it is because of the size, if it had the size and weight of those batteries inside as you proppose it would like double the size, be heavy and it would last a couple of hours.

Soo, when is the m3 out?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #307 of 2,001
if i flip out a pink or powdery colored M3 at the hifi store to test some headfones...
the salesman aint gonna take me seriously.... no? :p

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #308 of 2,001
  if i flip out a pink or powdery colored M3 at the hifi store to test some headfones...
the salesman aint gonna take me seriously.... no? :p

Depends on how bad he wants your business and sell headphones
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #310 of 2,001
  AA batteries dude, I saw your post before on the sandisk forum (I like sansa too, as most people here), but aren't most of those replies negative? I remember a time (Im old) when I was walking around with my walkman, and then the diskman, and after 2 or 3 hours the music was gone and that was it, also, I don't think many of us live that far away of a place where we can't just plug our players every couple of days instead of carrying a bunch of batteries, and if you still want to recharge those batteries, why charge them for a couple of hours if you can charge your player and it last for days, and it's easier to carry just the player and it's cable than the player, 2 batteries, another 2 spare batteries for the hours it takes to charge the other ones, the batteries charger and the bateries charger cable, and I'd prefer the space taken by 2 AA batteries to be for a bigger screen for example, I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I look at my clip+ and clip zip a big reason I like it is because of the size, if it had the size and weight of those batteries inside as you proppose it would like double the size, be heavy and it would last a couple of hours.

Soo, when is the m3 out?

Hmm, seems I remember my wife's old Creative Nomad had one (double or Triple A) that was not very large of course it had no screen ala Shuffleness! Ray Samuel's might differ with you on batteries when it comes to his runs forever Tomahawk
biggrin.gif
I'm just saying as examples and not as being a big proponent of exchangeable batteries
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #312 of 2,001
  So what would be the point of those technical electrical wizard guys designing electronics smaller and smaller (but more efficient) if we still want to put some big ass batteries in there?

You know I used to think the same thing with guys putting 4 15" woofers in their trunk with 2000 watts of juice, I always thought that place was better served for luggage
blink.gif
I'm not defending batteries just saying neither the Tomahawk nor Nomad were any bigger over all than the M3. I really don't like replaceable batteries all that much because they go bad and leak if unattended long enough, one of the reasons I always take my batteries out of my Tomahawk when being stored
wink_face.gif
Hail to the technical electrical wizards
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #313 of 2,001
I think the power bank xiaomi 16000mAh it's better option or maybe a backpack with solar panels

That is large and bulky.Charging the player battery from a battery pack also loses over 30% of the power in the battery pack. It is much easier to carry a few small spare batteries than to carry a large battery pack and a usb cable.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #314 of 2,001
That is large and bulky.Ccharging the player battery from a battery pack also loses over 30% of the power in the battery pack. It is much easier to carry a few small spare batteries than to carry a large battery pack and a usb cable.
it ain't gonna happen. The unit has already been designed and will be available next month. You need to give it a rest. My two children have tablets they charge on their own every night. They are 4 & 6 yrs. old. They see the battery icon get low and they charge it. It's that easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back