[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Aug 2, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #5,476 of 5,703
Does anyone know how the volume control of the M17 works? I'd like to relate the volume steps to either voltage or dBfs to have an idea of how loud I'm listening, but the manual doesn't mention this.
I would love to know the decibel level but I don't know how that could be captured from the unit since every headphone will have a different volume output due to efficiency differences and differences in impedance. It would be amazing if it were possible to get the spl by having the means of calibration of the individual headphone to the volume level.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #5,477 of 5,703
I would love to know the decibel level but I don't know how that could be captured from the unit since every headphone will have a different volume output due to efficiency differences and differences in impedance. It would be amazing if it were possible to get the spl by having the means of calibration of the individual headphone to the volume level.
Once you have the voltage it's not so hard to calculate the decibel level with reasonable accuracy, headphones are usually pretty close to their sensitivity specifications.

The formula equals: decibels = <db@1mW> +10*log10 (1000 * <voltage> * <voltage> / <headphone impedance>)

So for example with my DCA Stealth I aim at 87 dB listening volume, which would be around 0.17 Volts. The formula becomes:

db = 86 + 10*log10 ( 1000 * .17 * .17 / 23 ) = 87

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #5,479 of 5,703
Let's check the teardown of M17 again

Still insane the engineering that went into making the M17, and priced much lower than similar TOTL DAP's whilst being amongst them!

Adore mine since Feb '23, and I'm glad that my first FiiO experience has been pure joy too 😊

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #5,481 of 5,703
I am sure someone has commented before, but can someone point me or post their thoughts over the sound quality differences between the Q7 and M17? Is it worth the jump in price?
Kindly check my FiiO Q7 review.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #5,483 of 5,703
yes, I've read that a few times. It was a very good review. :) I was trying to get a wide range of opinions on it.
Thank you for reading.
Honestly, for everyone that doesn't need the DAP screen, I would suggest that FiiO Q7. The sound performance is so close and the price difference so huge.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #5,484 of 5,703
Still insane the engineering that went into making the M17, and priced much lower than similar TOTL DAP's whilst being amongst them!

Adore mine since Feb '23, and I'm glad that my first FiiO experience has been pure joy too 😊
I adore mine too :relaxed:

Whilst the vast majority of manufacturers are very ‘cagey’ as to what goes into their products, FiiO go the ‘whole hog’ and publish their own teardown videos!

This approach shows a mature company, who want to publicise the unadulterated quality of the products they produce, and should be wholeheartedly applauded.

I also have the R7, and I can testify to the quality of their products. Well done FiiO!

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #5,486 of 5,703
I finally broke down and bought the M17. I absolutely love it. I love the big chunky brick of a beast!

I’m looking into getting my first set of planars soon as well if anyone can recommend some that work very well with M17.…. even though most are probably great. Currently own HD600, HD660, Fostex TH-X00, ATH-M50, ATH-M40.

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #5,487 of 5,703
I finally broke down and bought the M17. I absolutely love it. I love the big chunky brick of a beast!

I’m looking into getting my first set of planars soon as well if anyone can recommend some that work very well with M17.…. even though most are probably great. Currently own HD600, HD660, Fostex TH-X00, ATH-M50, ATH-M40.
I love mine with HD650 even better than with LCD-X or Focal Clear. Vocals, detail retrieval and dynamic sound signature.

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #5,488 of 5,703
I love mine with HD650 even better than with LCD-X or Focal Clear. Vocals, detail retrieval and dynamic sound signature.
I actually meant HD650…… or HD6XX….. not HD600. They do sound fantastic. I have a balanced 4.4 cable coming so I’m looking forward to trying that. I’ve never heard a planar headphone before so I figured that’s the next step. Been looking hard at Audeze. Was almost going to pull the trigger for the LCD-XC but reviewers are saying it needs ED’d to sound good. 🤷‍♂️

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #5,489 of 5,703
I actually meant HD650…… or HD6XX….. not HD600. They do sound fantastic. I have a balanced 4.4 cable coming so I’m looking forward to trying that. I’ve never heard a planar headphone before so I figured that’s the next step. Been looking hard at Audeze. Was almost going to pull the trigger for the LCD-XC but reviewers are saying it needs ED’d to sound good. 🤷‍♂️
LCD-X really shines with a good copper balanced cable and good amplification.

I was also thinking of purchasing 4.4 cable for HD650...please share your impressions after you will try it, if it makes any difference in sound with HD650 balanced.

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #5,490 of 5,703
I wrote this last night on the T+A Solitaire T thread, but wanted to post here too (with some additional M17 information):

I may come back to this, but a few days after watching Oppenheimer in IMAX 15/70mm format at the BFI IMAX cinema in London, which is an almost indescribable and transformative experience that has deeply affected me, I wanted to settle down my thoughts before listening to the soundtrack tonight (listening in full balanced mode with the T+A Solitaire T and FiiO M17 DAP with battery powered DC 12v input).

Oppenheimer (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), composed and scored by Ludwig Göransson (2023, Back Lot Music, 24 bit/48 kHz).

I don't think I have ever been so moved to intense tears to any piece of music than tonight, with powerful feelings of existentialism and dread and awe.

If you have watched the film, in my opinion nothing short of the world's best home cinema AV system can replicate the physicality of the soundtrack, which is a major character of watching the film; feeling the full IMAX 6-track audio energise the large screening room is the greatest experience I have had in watching any film, so a well-crafted AV system will need to be worthwhile for gaining a fraction of that experience.
However, with a great headphone system, the emotive power is just as awe-inspiring and terrifying, disconcerting and beautiful, thought-provoking and eerily peaceful/tranquil. The M17's effortlessness and incredible balanced nature marries beautifully with the naturalness of the T+A Solitaire T sound profile; the synergy is breathtaking and profound when listening to this soundtrack.

I cannot recommend enough for those who have seen the film to listen to the soundtrack as soon as possible with the Solitaire T just for that, as these headphones are capable of rendering the emotional weight of the soundtrack wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back