[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5,146 of 5,692
I should point out that I got my fdx on sale for a very good price. But yeah, otherwise and fd7 are the same
I forgot to mention one other difference - a fancy wooden case, which only comes with the FDX. Their original prices were US$800 (FDX) and US$600 (FD7).

FiiO-FDXvsFD7.jpg

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #5,147 of 5,692
Thought I'd mention to thread participants interested... I have the Powerstream PST-MP3500-I as well as the PST-MP3460 2nd battery option on its way to me. What I love about this device is it has dip switches to set the voltage in 0.5v increments, and is touted to not suffer voltage droop. So I will be confident it will always deliver 12v to the M17.

I want/need it for when I attend CanJam NYC, so I can use my M17 to audition any hp offering no matter how power hungry with my own music selection. That dual battery combo should give at near 4 hrs of Super Enhanced Over-ear mode operation if the M17 is drawing its max of 36w. As I assume it won't draw that much all the time it should last longer.

But, I suspect like all LI batteries it will take a few battery drain/charge cycles to form up and reach maximum capacity. I'll let ya all know how this evolves after a few weeks or months.

Quick update:

It was only supposed to arrive on Wednesday. But actually was delivered on Sunday.

Let me just say, I'm floored with this pair of battery packs (primary and booster). Both batteries where at around 85% when they arrived. Starting from about 85% before the pack has gone thru a few power cycles (i.e. hasn't reached full capacity) it's been something like 5 or more hours of Enhanced Over-Ear Mode use and I still have about 15% left! That's with me using it driving a power hungry Ether C Flow with M17 volume above 90, but usually above 100 or 110.

I don't know how long it's actually been; it may have been over 6 hours of use so far. I didn't keep close tabs as I was starting from only the pre-charge it arrived with, and I didn't expect the battery to have formed to its full potential yet. I was going to do an 'official duration test' after a few recharge cycles. But as it is, I'm beyond thrilled. Especially in that each battery is only about the size and weight of your typical 25600mAh pack.

To make it easy to find, here's the link I posted originally a few weeks back:
https://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500-I.htm

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #5,148 of 5,692
I came super close to pulling the trigger on that one, but if I was going to get a big battery pack like that, I wanted one that would be able to output 100 watts through the USB C port so it can power eeeeverything I have.

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #5,149 of 5,692
I came super close to pulling the trigger on that one, but if I was going to get a big battery pack like that, I wanted one that would be able to output 100 watts through the USB C port so it can power eeeeverything I have.

I definitely get that. In my case, it's actually this thing's "turn-key operation", where the voltage out is fixed via DIP switches rather than a UI config setting, that was the attraction for me.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #5,150 of 5,692
I’ve noticed a few here with this dap have the hd820. Does it work well with this dap?

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #5,151 of 5,692
I’ve noticed a few here with this dap have the hd820. Does it work well with this dap?
Works great for me. The HD820’s have been a scapegoat from the word go. A few reviewers assumed that the 820’s were a closed back carbon copy of the 800’s, and upon discovering that was not the case, they slapped negative reviews with all short of claims. For me, they suit my preferred sound profile jus fine. I also have a set of Dekoni pads which brighten them up a bit, and are great for jazz and classical.
PS:that avatar is actually me.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #5,152 of 5,692
I don't know how long it's actually been; it may have been over 6 hours of use so far. I didn't keep close tabs as I was starting from only the pre-charge it arrived with, and I didn't expect the battery to have formed to its full potential yet. I was going to do an 'official duration test' after a few recharge cycles.
After my first full charge yesterday ... so as of right now the M17 has been running in Enhanced Over Ear Mode for 14 hours off the battery with about 30% left.

Okay, okay, that's deceiving. Here are the full stats... I started running the M17 off the battery pack at 10:10am. I listened to music until about 7:10pm, bringing the battery level [8 LEDs] down to 3/8 LEDs. With about 1.5 hrs idle (no music playing) thru the day when i attended meetings, ate lunch, and walked a dog. Then I left the M17 idle until just before midnight. Which still drains the battery, just not very fast. The level indicator lost one more LED in that time.

Given I could probably (and probably will) listen to 2 or more hours of music in enhanced over ear mode off the pack with the power left, that's still nets at about 10 hours of music listening in enhanced over ear mode off this battery today. I'm damn happy with this purchase.

I do want mention that I keep the M17 backlight at minimum. I also turn the display off frequently while playing albums. Screen backlight is a haaauge power drain. So minimizing screen use or brightness is very beneficial in conserving the battery.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #5,153 of 5,692
Works great for me. The HD820’s have been a scapegoat from the word go. A few reviewers assumed that the 820’s were a closed back carbon copy of the 800’s, and upon discovering that was not the case, they slapped negative reviews with all short of claims. For me, they suit my preferred sound profile jus fine. I also have a set of Dekoni pads which brighten them up a bit, and are great for jazz and classical.
PS:that avatar is actually me.
Thanks, I might give these a shot. I don’t take too much notice if reviewers. A lot of them pretty much want every headphone tuned the same. Boring!

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #5,154 of 5,692
can i play tidal from music app out coax to my own dac . when i play tidal on its own coax is not available

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #5,155 of 5,692
can i play tidal from music app out coax to my own dac . when i play tidal on its own coax is not available
I don’t use Tidal but, I can feed Apple music, Deezer and Qobuz to my X45 via coaxial with no issues.
you have to enable coaxial in the settings

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #5,156 of 5,692
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #5,157 of 5,692
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #5,158 of 5,692
Feb 25, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #5,160 of 5,692

Users who are viewing this thread

Back