[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #5,011 of 5,692
I am sure that the day I need it done, FiiO will sell me an M17 battery, and any independent phone and tablet repair center, will be able to replace it.
Nope…Don’t think so, you need to ship back to China at their facility, need to pay for 2 way shipping + customs + repair + actual parts….given the time this model of batteries still readily available with FiiO…..with all this hassle better buy newly launched FiiO M19, which is best idea at that time ….and drop M17 to E-Waste program (which we all how works).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,012 of 5,692
I am sure that the day I need it done, FiiO will sell me an M17 battery, and any independent phone and tablet repair center, will be able to replace it.
FiiO can't send battery outside china. You're stuck if you're lucky with a third party battery on aliexpress.
Sauce: asked them directly if they sell batteries.
You didn't have your M17 yeet the battery yet? good for you. Meanwhile, a 1900 bucks device that heats a ton and cannot change confortably the battery is unfortunately a liability.
And yeah please go on a "phone and tablet store" to replace your 1900 euro device and if anything goes wrong, you now have a very expensive brick.
My phone i could change the battery in a tech shop for 40 bucks after 5 years of use. Try finding someone handling such a different device and that can find you the right battery.
But yeah guys don't think about it just buy.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #5,013 of 5,692
Nope…Don’t think so, you need to ship back to China at their facility, need to pay for 2 way shipping + customs + repair + actual parts….given the time this model of batteries still readily available with FiiO…..with all this hassle better buy newly launched FiiO M19, which is best idea at that time ….and drop M17 to E-Waste program (which we all how works).
Literally the most sensible post about the use-and-dump kind of "warranty" you can expect.
Ask people who bought the M15 how they refused to repair the screens because "sorry we don't have anymore screens for the M15". And this in 2021, so barely a year after they released it.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #5,014 of 5,692
FiiO can't send battery outside china. You're stuck if you're lucky with a third party battery on aliexpress.
Sauce: asked them directly if they sell batteries.
You didn't have your M17 yeet the battery yet? good for you. Meanwhile, a 1900 bucks device that heats a ton and cannot change confortably the battery is unfortunately a liability.
And yeah please go on a "phone and tablet store" to replace your 1900 euro device and if anything goes wrong, you now have a very expensive brick.
My phone i could change the battery in a tech shop for 40 bucks after 5 years of use. Try finding someone handling such a different device and that can find you the right battery.
But yeah guys don't think about it just buy.
Well, as it happens, I took my £2200 fruity tablet to a third party to replace a smashed screen for a reasonable fee of £250 (12.9 screen at that) fruity bar wanted £800 to do the same job. Everything can be sourced, and I have imported lithium batteries from china several times. So yeah, worry not, the battery will be replaced when the one inside expires.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #5,015 of 5,692
@Ab10
WOW! I can see you guys are young and not used to having things repaired as opposed to replaced. The day it needs to be done, the battery will be replaced, and not necessarily by FiiO.
Everything you can imagine can be outsourced, and even made to exact specifications for next to nothing. It will be done, and it will be done by skilled repair men right here in the UK. How’s that for recycling

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #5,016 of 5,692
Well, as it happens, I took my £2200 fruity tablet to a third party to replace a smashed screen for a reasonable fee of £250 (12.9 screen at that) fruity bar wanted £800 to do the same job. Everything can be sourced, and I have imported lithium batteries from china several times. So yeah, worry not, the battery will be replaced when the one inside expires.
I don't have any "fruity" product, but i also expect full warranty and official spare parts, not going to aliexpress on a hunt for compatible parts. Imagine if the fruity cult told you after a year you bought it "LOL SORRY we have zero spare LCD to repair your screen" and the spare part didn't even exist. This happened to me with the m15, and after a single year after the official launch.
If you want to play third-party-roulette, be my guest. I expect high end/TOTL devices to have fantastic support, not some tech shop around the corner rummaging around with a battery made by some third party and the maker washing their hands of every issue that could happen when some unauthorized repair is done.
In the end, high end parts need high end support. Expecting at least 5 years of spare parts available for repairs is just common sense. Otherwise you end up like those who found out WHY a jaguar costs 30K and is supposed to be high end.

Edit: LMAO @ outsourcing the battery! Because you can totally go to a factory, ask them to make you the perfect size perfect wattage and all compatible with the form size of the M17 an you will surely have them rush to give to you the battery! If the maker itself doesn't have spares anymore, what are the odds you can find PROPER third party replacements?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #5,017 of 5,692
I think what’s being forgotten by some here is that the FiiO M17 is a very small-scale, custom design product… which is orders of magnitude smaller in market scale compared to “fruity” products or their competitive mass-market “robotic” phone and tablet products.

Small-scale, custom-designed products are not going to have anywhere near the number of parts and service options as mass-market products do.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5,018 of 5,692
I think what’s being forgotten by some here is that the FiiO M17 is a very small- scale, custom design product… which is orders of magnitude in market scale compared to “fruity” products or their competitive mass-market “robotic” phone and tablet products.

Small-scale, custom-designed products are not going to have anywhere near the number of parts and service options as mass-market products do.
this isn't really a cheap use and toss player. It's their TOTL. I think they made a very smart thing going for a future replaceable battery format. It's very important to have options if you cannot guarantee long trm servicing.
otherwise, you'd look for more ''supported' devices.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #5,019 of 5,692
this isn't really a cheap use and toss player. It's their TOTL. I think they made a very smart thing going for a future replaceable battery format. It's very important to have options if you cannot guarantee long trm servicing.
otherwise, you'd look for more ''supported' devices.
OK Ok OK!
We get the message.
Move on please!

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #5,020 of 5,692
... away from the battery topic, but probably still connected to power supply issue...

I am trying to use an external DAC (no own power supply) on the USB-C outputs of my M17.

I bought an ifi OTG adapter cable to connect the external DAC to the M17.
I followed the FiiO M17 manual and activated the USB output in the Settings of the FiiO music player. -> The external DAC remains dead.

If I plug the external DAC to an USB C port of my PC, using the same ifi adapter and cable, the external DAC immedialtly comes to life.

Question(s):
Did I miss a step ?
Anyone who is running an external DAC without own power supply on his/her M17?
Could it be that the USB C output power from the M17 is just not enough to power my external USB DAC without own power supply ?

Anyone knows about the output specs of the two USB C ports of the M17?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #5,021 of 5,692
... away from the battery topic, but probably still connected to power supply issue...

I am trying to use an external DAC (no own power supply) on the USB-C outputs of my M17.

I bought an ifi OTG adapter cable to connect the external DAC to the M17.
I followed the FiiO M17 manual and activated the USB output in the Settings of the FiiO music player. -> The external DAC remains dead.

If I plug the external DAC to an USB C port of my PC, using the same ifi adapter and cable, the external DAC immedialtly comes to life.

Question(s):
Did I miss a step ?
Anyone who is running an external DAC without own power supply on his/her M17?
Could it be that the USB C output power from the M17 is just not enough to power my external USB DAC without own power supply ?

Anyone knows about the output specs of the two USB C ports of the M17?
What DAC are you using? My guess would be there isn't enough power output on the M17. It may not allow power draw.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #5,023 of 5,692
it is an Acoustic Research AR-UA1

according to one review I found, the UA1 needs " ...mobile device supports USB Audio Class 2.0 AND 5V 500mA power to external USB devices" to run.
Yup, that's probably the issue. Your computer will power it but not the M17. Just curious.... Why not use the Line Out function on the M17?

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #5,024 of 5,692
Why not use the Line Out function on the M17?
... yes, well, I almost don't dare to tell here ... I prefer the sound of the ancient AR-M2 DAC over the M17.

Don't get me wrong I really love the M17 and especially all the comfort and the up to date features, it provides, but soundwise it can not catch up (in my ears) with the AR-M2.
Even when using the the AR-M2 or the M17 only as DAC, connected (via LO) to a very good amp (Paltauf HPA-100), difference between both have become very small indeed, but they are still noticable esp. in the upper region, where the M17 tends to sound a (very) little bit harsh and artificial, whereas the AR-M2 remains just very natural without hiding details.

So the idea was to bring both worlds together and plug the M17 to the UA1, which is supposed to have the same excellent sound signature, as the AR-M2....

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #5,025 of 5,692
Totally fine!

If you plug the UA1 to the M17 you will only get the UA1 signature. As a USB host, you will only get digital signal.

I took a quick look, and it looks like there are RCA jacks on the back. If it takes line in you could take lineout from the M17 to get the flavor of both devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back