[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #4,996 of 5,692
Not that this is a solution for the Tidal app itself but curious if you installed USB Audio Player Pro and see if you can log-in to Tidal from it. The Tidal app is problematic with hardware at times. I have the Shanling M6 Pro 21 and for over a year and a half, thru many Tidal updates and firmware updates of the player, I still have an issue with the player scroll not working or starting halfway into the song.
Thanks to both of you, I will both possibilities and let you know.
Pat.

Jan 21, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #4,997 of 5,692
Maybe try a factory reset and try again. I remember having the same issue with a AK player and that solved it. I think it’s a Tidal issue and not Fiio.
Many thanks again to both you and Bob for your suggestions. The system reset did the job and I am up and running again.
Bob, can you tell me your reasons for using UAPP, is it a quality thing? does it integrate well with Tidal?
Pat.

Jan 21, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #4,998 of 5,692
Many thanks again to both you and Bob for your suggestions. The system reset did the job and I am up and running again.
Bob, can you tell me your reasons for using UAPP, is it a quality thing? does it integrate well with Tidal?
Pat.
Glad you got it fixed. I don't own an M17 but it looks like an awesome piece of kit!

From my experience, UAPP sounds about the same Tidal-wise and with a tiny $ outlay for the plug-in it will do the first MQA unfold (not that you really need it with the hardware decode of M17) and there are a few more bells and whistles (equalizer, Toneboosters Morphit, etc--the latter stuff you have to run in non-bit perfect mode).

Within the UAPP player you can see at a glance what your DAC (internal to your player or external DAC) is receiving and outputting. However, with Tidal in UAPP, you lose some of the Tidal Android proprietary stuff like its Daily Discovery and other things, so I personally mostly use the Tidal Android app. UAPP I use mainly with local files but it can just be a nice change of pace when you're streaming (it does Qobuz too) and then you've got your internal library available too.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #5,000 of 5,692
Question for those of you with Fiio DAPs. Do you use the built in Fiio Music Player? If yes....is there a way to not have songs autoplay when clicking through from a paused song? Seems like a pretty simple thing....but I'm having trouble. Basically when I'm shuffling all my music and tapping through songs....I'd prefer not to hear a three second snippet at the beginning of each song as I skip past.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #5,001 of 5,692
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #5,002 of 5,692
I just got the M17, connected to DC power over the ear mode is incredible, hearing more detail and bass impact compared to my desktop dac/amp setup

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #5,003 of 5,692
I am glad I have tried the m17 and that I traded it for a brand new ifi neo stream. I needed a real desktop streamer without the possibility of malunctional batteries.

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #5,004 of 5,692
I am glad I have tried the m17 and that I traded it for a brand new ifi neo stream. I needed a real desktop streamer without the possibility of malunctional batteries.
Maybe once they make a swappable-battery one, i'd reconsider. And if it gets the "switch off battery" and can be powered by just DC, then yeah they'd make the DAP to end all DAPs. Till then, no way hose!

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #5,005 of 5,692
And if it gets the "switch off battery" and can be powered by just DC, then yeah they'd make the DAP to end all DAPs. Till then, no way hose!
What are you talking about? You can switch off battery charging right now when running on DC. I was playing yesterday with my M17 hooking it up to my amplifier and it played decently through the PMC twenty5.3 speakers. Not at the level of Denafrips Venus II and Burson Soloist 3XP but that's to be expected as it cost way less and it is way more compact. M17 is a beast!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #5,006 of 5,692
What are you talking about? You can switch off battery charging right now when running on DC. I was playing yesterday with my M17 hooking it up to my amplifier and it played decently through the PMC twenty5.3 speakers. Not at the level of Denafrips Venus II and Burson Soloist 3XP but that's to be expected as it cost way less and it is way more compact. M17 is a beast!
I'm talking taking out the battery, putting it on full DC and that's that.
I had my huge share of issues with the M15, its battery and charging. I am not about to buy another fiio DAP withouth a completely user removable battery.
And this beast also needs better heat dissipation, those batteries popping after a year are a sign of overheating, they ought to make a full copper backplate or at least the heatsink. Otherwise, you might think it's ok but going 50-60 degrees internals on a battery device is a way to certain death.
Users here complained a battery removable device would reduce the monetary value of the M17 on resell.
Non removeable battery for me killed any remote thought of buying it second hand. Excpecially with all those swelling batteries.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #5,007 of 5,692
Non removeable battery for me killed any remote thought of buying it second hand. Excpecially with all those swelling batteries.
Nonsense. you're talking as if ALL M17s have swelling batteries. I bet you buy those expensive fruity phones without a second thought about its non-replaceable battery.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #5,008 of 5,692
I'm talking taking out the battery, putting it on full DC and that's that.
I had my huge share of issues with the M15, its battery and charging. I am not about to buy another fiio DAP withouth a completely user removable battery.
And this beast also needs better heat dissipation, those batteries popping after a year are a sign of overheating, they ought to make a full copper backplate or at least the heatsink. Otherwise, you might think it's ok but going 50-60 degrees internals on a battery device is a way to certain death.
Users here complained a battery removable device would reduce the monetary value of the M17 on resell.
I have had my M17 since release day, mix use of DC and Battery modes at home. Mix charge options to 100% when out and about and battery saving at all other times.
When not on the fan stand, it gets pretty hot when driving my 300Ω cans in DC, and a bit hot when driving my 32Ω IEM’s in battery mode. It runs cool in Bluetooth battery mode, and in all modes when mounted to the fan stand. No swelling problems whatsoever.
Now, You have been going on about this forever. I am sure FiiO has taken notice, and may introduce such a device if they think there’s enough market for it. So, stop :deadhorse:please.
To very one else, if you thinking of buying the M17, there’s nothing wrong with it so, just buy It.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #5,009 of 5,692
Nonsense. you're talking as if ALL M17s have swelling batteries. I bet you buy those expensive fruity phones without a second thought about its non-replaceable battery.
Those fruity phones can get their batteries changed at the bar in the fruity store. Not for cheap but they are replaceable.
While the M17 Battery should be user replaceable as there are no stores in nearly any country in the world that would be able to do that.
Also the Batterys of the DX Series can be replace by any audio-/video store and they can be bought via aliexpress.
So I get @MusicalDoc8 's point. Time in use of a high-end DAP will bei over 5 years and you will feel the degradation of the battery far more than the degradation of your phone. Especially if you use the DAP with demanding Over-Ears.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #5,010 of 5,692
Those fruity phones can get their batteries changed at the bar in the fruity store. Not for cheap but they are replaceable.
While the M17 Battery should be user replaceable as there are no stores in nearly any country in the world that would be able to do that.
Also the Batterys of the DX Series can be replace by any audio-/video store and they can be bought via aliexpress.
So I get @MusicalDoc8 's point. Time in use of a high-end DAP will bei over 5 years and you will feel the degradation of the battery far more than the degradation of your phone. Especially if you use the DAP with demanding Over-Ears.
I am sure that the day I need it done, FiiO will sell me an M17 battery, and any independent phone and tablet repair center, will be able to replace it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back