[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 13, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #4,966 of 5,692
Warranty just pass 16 days and this happened. Hong Kong distributor - Carvelink asked for $1000HKD to repair. @FiiO do you have better solutions?
how often did you use the M17?

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #4,967 of 5,692
this is why we need user replaceable batteries. it's ridiculous that a 1800 euros device dies after a year and you have to send it back for a month for something that should require a screwdriver and 5 minutes at home.
Warranty just pass 16 days and this happened. Hong Kong distributor - Carvelink asked for $1000HKD to repair. @FiiO do you have better solutions?

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #4,968 of 5,692
this is why we need user replaceable batteries. it's ridiculous that a 1800 euros device dies after a year and you have to send it back for a month for something that should require a screwdriver and 5 minutes at home.
I am curious that how a DAP battery could die in a year? Hard-core usage in bad ambient conditions?

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #4,969 of 5,692
I am curious that how a DAP battery could die in a year? Hard-core usage in bad ambient conditions?
even the best batteries die in function of operating temperatures. even a difference of 10 degrees celsius yeld a tremendous amount of degradation foe the power cell. the ''goldilocks'' temperature would be around 30 degrees, but few device makers actually care for such a target. and the more you deviate from it the more severe the battery gets damaged on the long run.
you could try some of those foss apps like ''temperature monitor'' on fdroid to read battery temp. You might want to reduce gain and/or other settings when it hits 50.
All in all, either go for much better insulation of the battery from the hotter components or improve cooling so much that 35 is max operating temperature under full power (talking max gain, all options enable and the likes).An example are gaming laptops: after 3 years i had battery swelling, so i bought a battery and a scredriver was all i nedded to change it in about 20 minutes, at home, with no disservice. Once before on a non user serviceable battery my laptop was in shop for a month and it was hell for myjob.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #4,970 of 5,692
Looks like a business opportunity for a 3rd party to market a battery and a set of instructions on how to get M17 opened up?

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #4,971 of 5,692
Looks like a business opportunity for a 3rd party to market a battery and a set of instructions on how to get M17 opened up?
yeah but it requires disassembly on ''snap on'' backplate, that if it breaks it's a bother

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #4,973 of 5,692
even the best batteries die in function of operating temperatures. even a difference of 10 degrees celsius yeld a tremendous amount of degradation foe the power cell. the ''goldilocks'' temperature would be around 30 degrees, but few device makers actually care for such a target. and the more you deviate from it the more severe the battery gets damaged on the long run.
you could try some of those foss apps like ''temperature monitor'' on fdroid to read battery temp. You might want to reduce gain and/or other settings when it hits 50.
All in all, either go for much better insulation of the battery from the hotter components or improve cooling so much that 35 is max operating temperature under full power (talking max gain, all options enable and the likes).An example are gaming laptops: after 3 years i had battery swelling, so i bought a battery and a scredriver was all i nedded to change it in about 20 minutes, at home, with no disservice. Once before on a non user serviceable battery my laptop was in shop for a month and it was hell for myjob.

That's ture. I can replace new battery easily by myself but the distributor told me that no master in Hong Kong can fix it correctly. Besides, Hong Kong policy during COVID-19 make it very hard to ship the machine back to China. It's takes at least a month and I think is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #4,974 of 5,692
That's ture. I can replace new battery easily by myself but the distributor told me that no master in Hong Kong can fix it correctly. Besides, Hong Kong policy during COVID-19 make it very hard to ship the machine back to China. It's takes at least a month and I think is totally unacceptable.
I live in italy. for me RMA means waiting months. For something so trivial as a battery, it seriously makes me question if i would ever buy another FiiO DAP if it doesn't come with user replaceable battery. Shop that is a direct importer told me, average time for an RMA is at least a month, and since batteries seem to die quite easily (and it isn't that suprising considering the powerful hardware and temps), a user swappable battery would literally axe costs for maintenance to FiiO and waiting times for Users. A big Win-Win for consumer and less expenses and issues for FiiO to handle. Just ship another battery/have a battery that is market compatible, and you can fix it in 20 minutes top at home.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #4,975 of 5,692
c'est pourquoi nous avons besoin de batteries remplaçables par l'utilisateur. c'est ridicule qu'un appareil à 1800 euros meure au bout d'un an et qu'il faille le renvoyer pendant un mois pour quelque chose qui devrait nécessiter un tournevis et 5 minutes à la maison.
de plus, un indice de réparabilité est de plus en plus imposé sur les produits en europe. même si on est sur des produits en petit nombre, une batterie remplaçable va dans ce sens. bon pour la planète.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #4,976 of 5,692
de plus, un indice de réparabilité est de plus en plus imposé sur les produits en europe. même si on est sur des produits en petit nombre, une batterie remplaçable va dans ce sens. bon pour la planète.
Absolutely, repairability is one of the most impactful ecological policies in the tech sector (and others too). And soon there will be MANDATORY replaceable batteries

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #4,977 of 5,692
A CD drive died on me two weeks after warranty expired. It took twelve years to buy anything again from that manufacturer.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #4,979 of 5,692
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #4,980 of 5,692
nice, so the AK loses in resolution but has better mids while the m17 wins in resolution and is more neutral?

I will give you an example

With the Fiio M17 better....to much body with Sp3000

With Sp3000 better as with the Fiio....
(The Fioo lacks drive in the lower range on faster tracks)

NOMAX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back