[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 9, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #4,951 of 5,692
Jan 9, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #4,952 of 5,692
As it is cheep, I just ordered one for my M17 desktop to try to catch any improvement..
I already use 2 desktop stands (office and home with a DCA Stealth), one stand is with a power ifi ipower elite 12v/4A and the other one with the standard Fiio Power Supply 12/3A ... and after one year of using them, I really can't say I could catch any type of improvement with the ifi iPower as there is clearly when I activate the enhanced audio mode with any of the power supply....
Basically, I don't expect any improvement from the PL50 ... I will probably just use the iFi elite for another of my item.
If you can't hear any sonic improvements with the iFi Elite I doubt that you will with the PL50 either.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #4,953 of 5,692
Well hopefully i don't blow up with the M17 🙈🤪

812D98AB-AE19-42C2-971A-81198AA045BA.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #4,955 of 5,692
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #4,957 of 5,692

Finally on the latest firmware - OMG!​

With Roon Ready now implemented, the FiiO music app now comes in a very far second out of all the available apps for me in terms of SQ. I think I have to say it now. Yep I will… My life is now complete! My only lingering issues are now resolved all thanks to the divine Triumvirates:

1. Audiollius, purveyor of vibrations and giver of life vitale.
2. FiiOphythys, protector of electro-magnetic interferance and procrurer of sonic-fidelity.
3. Roonathius, magister of amplitudinis perfectiō and professoris of musica bibliotheca.

The FiiO app was increasingly loosing ease of use to naivgate diverse and growing music collections - was tedious at best. Coming in a respectable third, and it pains me to say it because I love everything about it otherwise, is Neutron - it just seemed that try as they might, they couldn’t quite break through the Android OS Labrynth even with a really impressive custom driver backend. UAPP had always been my number one before the M17, but it couldn’t make the finishing line for me in this race. Tidal stock was superiour.

Other notables aspects:
I am really impressed with the stability of this first release Roon Ready functionality. Granted when I bought it on day one, it was a bit misleading and probably it should have really been marketed as Roon Ready [coming in 2022, or more likely 2023] - Zeroth world problems really!
However, I do commend the FiiO staff presence on forums, who by in large respond to user queries and allaying my fears. They could so easily opt not to do this like most of the bigger companies. So thank you, honestly!
The only things that were previously missing for me was a portable way to easily and fully utilise the outstanding sound capabilities the M17 offers when sans-home with the Roon DSP functionality + catelogue navigation. Solved!

Two extra unexpected bonuses:
DCA Stealth Sound for me so very very close to my home setup I am stupified. I just accepted it the M17 would never compete with my Matrix Audio Element-X + Topping D90 et al. The pairing was previously weak for me - a bit of a wet noodle - missing tonality, and especially punch (even with a low shelf boost ~10dB, DC Enhanced Gain, Various Apps, see Appendix-A1 etc). Wow!

2. It was always an arduous chain of proxies vpns porting yadda yadda to use it at work. The issue was getting both the Roon software to work and for it to think the USB/Wifi connected DAP was also local. Now it is as simple as VPN to home server + hotspot on + connect M17 to the work laptop. This was the best unexpected plus as my Stealths will not be commuting to work, nor on a beach resort holiday etc. Again, Wow!

Thank you for this update and pushing to get it finally through!

Appendix
A1.
Assume for argument sake I use DSP extensively in Roon with EQ, upsampling (regardless of settings within), headroom management, convolution etc., all depending on the application/song. I also shouldn’t really need to mention what without a shadow of a doubt is the already unanimously agreed upon in all Audiophile circles due to their sheer greatness, that MQA and DSD technologies will also be in use.

A2. A lesser known and somewhat controversial hint to really upgrade sound fidelity I recently discovered is to wear a closed-cell foam power-ranger suit at all times. It wards of the aliasing demons and those pesky modal nodes that the evil wizards Nyquist and Fourier send out to battle (you can thank me later).

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #4,965 of 5,692
Warranty just pass 16 days and this happened. Hong Kong distributor - Carvelink asked for $1000HKD to repair. @FiiO do you have better solutions?

just discussed with Carvelink, Now it cost too much money and time to send back the RMA to China, so they have to charged you 1000 HKD but they agree to change it to 500HKD. but it is very closed to CNY and we will close our factory soon so it will take 1 month to send back to you if you send it to Carvelink now.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back