[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,631 of 5,692
Anyone please review comparing with AK SP2000T vs M17 ? specially the detail ...
couldn't find any ..
From memory - in SS mode SP2KT has much colder timbre, with Hybrid and Tube modes adding a bit warmth which brings its timbre closer to a neutral level.
SP2KT has less details, it’s details level is significantly lower (more dirty sound), it has mid bass bleed.
Soundstage is also smaller and it doesn’t have that much power to drive cans with high resistance.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #3,632 of 5,692
My m17 gets hot after not even an hour of use. So hot it makes me worried about it's long term health. That's my only issue with the unit. It's perfect otherwise
My M17 gets hot after about the same amount of time (after about 1 hour of use), I always try to keep it on colder surface, not in my hand or pocket. I think that higher operating temperatures could affect overall battery lifetime.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3,633 of 5,692
Thanks! I should have added that it was hooked up to DC power and charging turned off.
Even with charging disabled, M17 will charge if it is powered off and connected to charger or DC power. Disabling charging only works while the M17 is powered on. When you have both USB and DC connected to M17, it will prioritize USB for charging since USB is directly connected to battery.

I would check your computer's BIOS settings to see if you can disable USB power when the computer is shut down. Other option is to unplug your USB when not in use. Or if that's too much hassle, try a USB power splitter like this one so you can use a dedicated charger for M17 USB power:

USB Power Splitter

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,634 of 5,692
Even with charging disabled, M17 will charge if it is powered off and connected to charger or DC power. Disabling charging only works while the M17 is powered on. When you have both USB and DC connected to M17, it will prioritize USB for charging since USB is directly connected to battery.

I would check your computer's BIOS settings to see if you can disable USB power when the computer is shut down. Other option is to unplug your USB when not in use. Or if that's too much hassle, try a USB power splitter like this one so you can use a dedicated charger for M17 USB power:

USB Power Splitter
Very helpful! Thanks a lot.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3,635 of 5,692
No problem with my M17 ever getting hot, not even while driving LCD4.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #3,636 of 5,692
@Iowtwo - are you using streaming to listen to your music?
@Ben86 - same question; from previous posts all I can think as to why my 17 never gets even warm is that I’m exclusively using music from the sd card.
DC mode at home sometimes with HE-6, when out all-to-dsd with over ear cans.

I would suggest if either of you are not using streaming services then email FiiO tech support.
but if you are then it appears it is normal for the 17 to get very warm sometimes, if not hot.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,637 of 5,692
@Iowtwo - are you using streaming to listen to your music?
@Ben86 - same question; from previous posts all I can think as to why my 17 never gets even warm is that I’m exclusively using music from the sd card.
DC mode at home sometimes with HE-6, when out all-to-dsd with over ear cans.

I would suggest if either of you are not using streaming services then email FiiO tech support.
but if you are then it appears it is normal for the 17 to get very warm sometimes, if not hot.
More than likely because it's using the SoC for conversion instead of dac chips.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,640 of 5,692
you could use an app to monitor the internals temperature and post results. doing it in similar conditions should let us know if it's normal or if there's something amiss. On my m15 i have neutron player with pcm to dsd 128 and still the surface stay relatively warm.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #3,642 of 5,692
Micro SD cards get extremely warm. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. If your not already, try playing music directly from your internal storage.
That is mostly when writing to SD cards. Reading from SD cards takes very little power especially at the low data rates of even the highest resolution audio files.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #3,643 of 5,692
Question of the day and thanks in advance:

Using the USB Audio Player PRO and streaming Tidal via the M17 do you set the app to bit perfect and if yes, what is the benefit. I am driving IEM’s via the M17 directly in Android mode.​

-Richard

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,645 of 5,692
Question of the day and thanks in advance:

Using the USB Audio Player PRO and streaming Tidal via the M17 do you set the app to bit perfect and if yes, what is the benefit. I am driving IEM’s via the M17 directly in Android mode.​

-Richard
I always keep bit perfect enabled.

"The term bit-perfect is used a few different ways, but I’m using it here to describe the transfer of digital audio data from one point to another with absolutely no changes. After all, this is a crucial feature that sets digital apart from analog…zero generation loss."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back