[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 24, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #3,661 of 5,692
@FiiO
Of the ones that your app doesn’t play, the smallest Hi-Res WAV file I have is 106MB.
Please let me know how many seconds or minutes of music you need the .CAF file to be and I’ll create one for you. Bear in mind .CAF files are uncompressed and can be very large.
If you could provide me with a link where I can upload them (via private message), I’ll be happy to share them with you for analysis.
For developers information on the .CAF container specifications please Click here.

Reason for edit.
I edited the link as I initially linked a very ligh and easy to digest information of what a .CAF is
This new link deals with in-depth developer information of the Core Audio File container specification which, will be more useful to FiiO.
My first thought: Oh, No! Please don't use an Apple Proprietary file format!! :)

So, I looked around and found this discussion on using .CAF files and the thread ended with this statement:

Solved
AppleMan1958 User level: Level 7 (27,491 points)
Answer:A:
Here is the license agreement. See section 2.G.iii
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iLife11.pdf

"Although you have every right to use these files, I have found them to be more trouble than they are worth.
Apple allows these to be used in commercial recordings. Once they are, the record companies do not realize that they have used an Apple .caf in their recording, and they will put a copyright on it. If you use these, you will likely get a takedown notice from YouTube or FaceBook with some record company claiming copyright infringement.
Apple has not been forthcoming with help for its users who are harassed by the record companies.

If you are only using these internally and not on the web, you should be fine."
Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:48 PM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3769392?answerId=17717538022#17717538022

There must be an alternative file format to export for use outside of the Apple Fiefdom?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #3,662 of 5,692
My first thought: Oh, No! Please don't use an Apple Proprietary file format!! :)

So, I looked around and found this discussion on using .CAF files and the thread ended with this statement:

Solved
AppleMan1958 User level: Level 7 (27,491 points)
Answer:A:
Here is the license agreement. See section 2.G.iii
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iLife11.pdf

"Although you have every right to use these files, I have found them to be more trouble than they are worth.
Apple allows these to be used in commercial recordings. Once they are, the record companies do not realize that they have used an Apple .caf in their recording, and they will put a copyright on it. If you use these, you will likely get a takedown notice from YouTube or FaceBook with some record company claiming copyright infringement.
Apple has not been forthcoming with help for its users who are harassed by the record companies.

If you are only using these internally and not on the web, you should be fine."
Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:48 PM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3769392?answerId=17717538022#17717538022

There must be an alternative file format to export for use outside of the Apple Fiefdom?
The Core Audio Format (CAF) is an apple developed container that, as far as I know, it is licence/copyright free and can be used by anyone with no fees attached.
The concept that recording studios are using CAF files without realising and, that apple attaches copyright to all CAF recordings, is frankly ludicrous.
Core Audio Format (CAF) has the same sound quality as a Waveform Audio File Format (WAV) but, it is not limited to 4GB and, it keeps tracks, channels and a plethora of other useful information for sound engineers.
I use it all the time hence, my request for FiiO to support it, so that I don’t have to convert them to WAV or any other sound container format (my Novafidelity X45 supports CAF recording and playback).
I have never uploaded a CAF file, they are much too large and if supported, social media platforms would convert and compress them so, a total waste of time and bandwith.
Also, unless you are trying to upload copyrighted material, I see no reason for a copyright strike when uploading your own material.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #3,663 of 5,692
The Core Audio Format (CAF) is an apple developed container that, as far as I know, it is licence/copyright free and can be used by anyone with no fees attached.
The concept that recording studios are using CAF files without realising and, that apple attaches copyright to all CAF recordings, is frankly ludicrous.
Core Audio Format (CAF) has the same sound quality as a Waveform Audio File Format (WAV) but, it is not limited to 4GB and, it keeps tracks, channels and a plethora of other useful information for sound engineers.
I use it all the time hence, my request for FiiO to support it, so that I don’t have to convert them to WAV or any other sound container format (my Novafidelity X45 supports CAF recording and playback).
I have never uploaded a CAF file, they are much too large and if supported, social media platforms would convert and compress them so, a total waste of time and bandwith.
Also, unless you are trying to upload copyrighted material, I see no reason for a copyright strike when uploading your own material.
Then it seems like it is a very niche request with few people needing/using it?; Perhaps @FiiO 's limited resources could be better used elsewhere?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,664 of 5,692
Then it seems like it is a very niche request with few people needing/using it?; Perhaps @FiiO 's limited resources could be better used elsewhere?
CAF support is a very simple process, I seriously doubt it would have any negative impact on their far from limited resources. It is just as easy to implement as any other file format.
Nothing wrong with making the request, whether @FiiO wants to oblige, it’s up to them.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #3,665 of 5,692
Amazing tip!!
Now it doesn't shutters!

Many thanks!!

Edit: still shuttering after a while... Any other tip?
Try using ''multithreaded' processing. But ypu could use dsd128, on my old m15 ot works well. I did notice that google play services seems to be responsable for slowdowns while connected to internet. You coulld try removing the servicces or simply stay offline whike trying dsd256 and see if it works.

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #3,666 of 5,692
FiiO 15th Anniversary Special Sales Event- M17 (6G+128G Special Edition) April 26-28, 2022

5775306.jpg

Dear users,
As FiiO’s 15th anniversary is coming, we would like to introduce a special model for you, i.e. the portable desktop-class player M17 with 6G RAM+128G ROM.

During the R&D process of the M17, we had considered both the 4G+64G and 6G+128G solutions. However, we gave up the 6G+128G solution in the end due to the supply chain issue and consideration of devoting more to sound quality. When developing the M17, we ordered a small amount of 6G+128G materials. To celebrate FiiO’s upcoming 15th birthday and to thank you for your support along the way, we have produced 20 pieces for the 15th anniversary special sales event.

Here are details of the sales event:
·Time: From 00:00 on April 26 to 24:00 on April 28th (CST), 2022.
·The activity will be held at our AliExpress Official Store.
·There are only 20 pieces, each for 1899.99 USD. First come, first served.
·Except for the RAM and ROM difference, this special edition M17 is exactly the same as the previous one.

--Visit the product page to find out more about the M17: https://www.fiio.com/m17
--Click the link here to head over to our AliExpress Official Store: https://fiio.aliexpress.com/store/1473108

If you have any questions, please leave us a message. Thank you so much for your attention.

Best regards,
Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #3,669 of 5,692
Good Monday afternoon fellow M17’ers (is that a thing?),

Curious is there any benefit leaving the M17 switched to DC even if running off of battery only. What is the benefit of switching to battery when using battery only. Thanks as always.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #3,670 of 5,692

Curious is there any benefit leaving the M17 switched to DC even if running off of battery only. What is the benefit of switching to battery when using battery only. Thanks as always.
Good question. I was wondering the same thing. 👍

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #3,671 of 5,692

Use DC mode if you want enhanced mode and DC power. If you set to Bat mode and only use DC as your power source, you will not get enhanced mode and power will be hybrid - system on battery and THX amp on DC power. Difference in sound is debatable, but using hybrid puts less stress on battery.

Personally, I leave my M17 on DC mode, 80% charge limit, and charging disabled while powered on. I only use DC power supply to both power and charge. This gives me enhanced mode when I need it and best battery longevity.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #3,672 of 5,692
Use DC mode if you want enhanced mode and DC power. If you set to Bat mode and only use DC as your power source, you will not get enhanced mode and power will be hybrid - system on battery and THX amp on DC power. Difference in sound is debatable, but using hybrid puts less stress on battery.

Personally, I leave my M17 on DC mode, 80% charge limit, and charging disabled while powered on. I only use DC power supply to both power and charge. This gives me enhanced mode when I need it and best battery longevity.
Very helpful, thank you.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,674 of 5,692
All the gains when you're in DC mode are better sounding, I listen to my iem in low gain and with DC mode the sound is better
Are you doing this if you are not plugged into DC and out and about with your M17 running off of battery, or only when powered by DC?

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #3,675 of 5,692
Are you doing this if you are not plugged into DC and out and about with your M17 running off of battery, or only when powered by DC?
I am saying that when you plug the m17 in DC mode not battery, even in low gain the sound gets better, of course the sound in normal battery mode is allready very good, but gets a step up in DC mode even when you don't have phones that "need" enhanced over the ear mode

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back