[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 8, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,277 of 5,693
Install some WiFi testing apk and look is it 802.11ac (or below, like 802.11n) or 802.11ax. If latter then it is Wifi6.
Interesting, when I looked up Qualcomm wesbite it said 660 doesn't support Wifi6 / ax, but 662 supports Wifi6 could it be M17 has 662 ?
Not that it matters that much, again, just natural curiosity.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #1,279 of 5,693
No it has the 660 soc.
Yeah that's what on the spec sheet then theoretically no Wifi6 but it has no real significance for streaming music anyway :)

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #1,280 of 5,693
BTW, if volume knob is analogue potentiometer, how can hold button lock it?
I don’t know how it works but, the hold switch does disable the volume wheel.
But, is posible that it does it at a software level because if you move the wheel to increase volume and then disengage Hold, a warning window opens

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,282 of 5,693
FH9 is badass!
1638961854662.png

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,283 of 5,693
FH9 is badass!
I was wondering about this one... semi open design are interesting and I loved the FD5... the cable looks sleek! FiiO is upping the ante these days :)

@lafeuill introduced me to this product

1638977860066.png

Wondering if that would yet bring the iPower Elite and M17 to even greater heights but I am dubious... but I was dubious about the iPower Elite and I was wrong :p

This one is just as expensive as the iPower so probably much too steep...

1638977999847.png

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,284 of 5,693
I just got mine from Fiio.eu .... it was blocked in Belgium for 5 days :angry:
But .. it's there now ..
First test => Max Richter's Cradle to Grave from 50" to 1"20 with DCA Stealth in Circumaural mode => passed :beerchug:
Just that will makes the M17 a keeper for me !!! as it is the most compact DAP able to move rather properly my DCA Stealth at a consistent volume level.

Second Test => WD 4Tb SSD => passed (though speed seems not to be at USB3 mode but limited to USB2 speed probably due to some OTG limitations ?)

Third Test => Neutron Player Hires mode => passed

Fourth Test => Amazon Music 24 bits/192Khz => passed

Fifth Test=> Qobuz in 24 Bits/192kz => I still have to control through the Spdif Output to an external DAC tonight (SMSL M500)

Sixth Test=>24/768Kz and DSD512 => I still have to control through USB-C Output to an external DAC tonight (SMSL M500)

Seventh test => Wavelet and Poweramp EQ=> failed !!!! I can't manage to set DUMP grant with my notebook (though I could set the developer's mode and activate the USB debug), probably I will have to find Fiio usb drivers to connect properly my W11 Laptop to the M17

More tests to come with the stock 12/3A external power to be compared to my Monolith THX 887 and the HEDDphone One/DCA Stealth.... but I already enjoy the M17 in a portable DAP mode, though the M17 is already very hot after one hour playing with it ??????

I just ordered a 300€ ifi iPower Elite 12V/4A (should be here on Friday), though I am totally skeptical about any improvement due to some power cleaning. But davidmolliere seems to be convinced by it and I need a second 12/3A power source for my office, so it's worth to try it and see if any changes in sound quality can be caught by a more than 60 y/o man like me. If there is some noticeable improvement, I will buy a 24/3A to be used with my Monolith THX887... and listen to see what happens.

I don't know at this stage if Centrance, I already preordered will finally manage to produce their "Ampersand" that is really able to move DCA's planar's to compete with the M17, but it's the only alternative I can find.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,285 of 5,693
I just got mine from Fiio.eu .... it was blocked in Belgium for 5 days :angry:
But .. it's there now ..
(...)
More tests to come with the stock 12/3A external power to be compared to my Monolith THX 887 and the HEDDphone One/DCA Stealth.... but I already enjoy the M17 in a portable DAP mode, though the M17 is already very hot after one hour playing with it ??????

I just ordered a 300€ ifi iPower Elite 12V/4A (should be here on Friday), though I am totally skeptical about any improvement due to some power cleaning. But davidmolliere seems to be convinced by it and I need a second 12/3A power source for my office, so it's worth to try it and see if any changes in sound quality can be caught by a more than 60 y/o man like me. If there is some noticeable improvement, I will buy a 24/3A to be used with my Monolith THX887... and listen to see what happens.

I don't know at this stage if Centrance, I already preordered will finally manage to produce their "Ampersand" that is really able to move DCA's planar's to compete with the M17, but it's the only alternative I can find.
Well congrats and enjoy!

Thanks for the impressions :)

I was very skeptical but now I want more and ordered the iFi Audio Supanova on top... down that rabbit hole...
I hope it will yet bring another touch of greatness to M17 not that I believe it can get better... I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,286 of 5,693
I had a chance to make some listening with M17 and Rögnir. It's easy to say that, M17 is a kind of desktop solution and can be used on the go. Super powerful but super dark background. I tried some in ears with it like Fir M5 as weak , no hiss. I like instrument separation and resolution. It's a bit heavy and you should consider it to take with you to your holiday house. It's not suitable for daily portable use. I find the sound more clinical compared my DX300 AMP12 > C9 rig.
For the ones who doesn't want to deal with interconnects, synergy or whatever related with components. It's one piece of powerhouse. I liked it very much.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,287 of 5,693
DX300 (which I owned for a year) is smoother for sure but not as resolving by quite a margin, it's a relaxed but engaging listen where M17 is more energetic and resolving and ultimately more immersive with the bigger stage. DX300 is quite powerful to begin with, but M17 is on another planefield with MAX.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,288 of 5,693
As i get some usb issue with a laptop Windows 11 and a Xeon Workstation W10 => I can't manage to connect the M17 to them, did someone already used it as an external DAC ? or even transferred some files through USB ?
The usb drivers on Fiio website support is from 2019 .. are there some newer dedicated USB drivers for M17 ?

Edit : I couldn't find any of my windows computers which could be connected with the M17 ...
I could connect to the M17 port some Usb-c SSD drive, an external SMSL M500 DAC, a USB-C micro SD card reader so the USB-C port of the M17 is working fine for every thing except windows, there are no drivers for at least Windows 10 and Windows 11... even with FiiO_USB_DAC_Driver-V4.47.0.exe on fiio is not working.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,289 of 5,693
As i get some usb issue with a laptop Windows 11 and a Xeon Workstation W10 => I can't manage to connect the M17 to them, did someone already used it as an external DAC ? or even transferred some files through USB ?
The usb drivers on Fiio website support is from 2019 .. are there some newer dedicated USB drivers for M17 ?

Edit : I couldn't find any of my windows computers which could be connected with the M17 ...
I could connect to the M17 port some Usb-c SSD drive, an external SMSL M500 DAC, a USB-C micro SD card reader so the USB-C port of the M17 is working fine for every thing except windows, there are no drivers for at least Windows 10 and Windows 11... even with FiiO_USB_DAC_Driver-V4.47.0.exe on fiio is not working.
I unfortunately tried them all under Linux and it was fine. Maybe you can check also the M11 Plus thread as it should be the same thing. There are other Wavelet users there.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #1,290 of 5,693
Trying to get some clarification here: I’ve been reading a few posts about how using the M17 off the DC 12v power supply gives an improvement in sound quality. Can anyone here specify if that’s true for all uses, or just for over-ear headphone mode or on high gain? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back