[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #1,291 of 5,703
I am a bit hopeless, as I couldn't connect the M17 in DAC mode or file transfer with the box USB cable to any of my computers (4 tested) or smartphone (Z Fold3)...
I downloaded the drivers for windows as indicated in the manual .. but nothing happens when I plug the USB-C port.
I can use the same Fiio USB-Cable with A&K Kann Alpha (DAC mode or file transfer).
I can connect a SSD or Micro SD reader to this USB-C port and the M17 allows me to use it, but not a PC or Smartphone. I never had such issue with other FIIO DAP (M9 & M11).
I tried some other USB-C cables which works fine with other dap ..but not with M17
I tried a new beta Fiio USC drivers FiiO_v5.22.0_Beta.zip with no success.
I have never seen such issue, I will try to contact support@fiio.com and hoping they can fix something.

Am I the only one not to be able to use the M17 as a DAC with android 11 smartphones or windows 10/11 PC ?

Edit : It's impossible to join support@fiio.com as my mail is rejected ..

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,292 of 5,703
I am a bit hopeless, as I couldn't connect the M17 in DAC mode or file transfer with the box USB cable to any of my computers (4 tested) or smartphone (Z Fold3)...
I downloaded the drivers for windows as indicated in the manual .. but nothing happens when I plug the USB-C port.
I can use the same Fiio USB-Cable with A&K Kann Alpha (DAC mode or file transfer).
I can connect a SSD or Micro SD reader to this USB-C port and the M17 allows me to use it, but not a PC or Smartphone. I never had such issue with other FIIO DAP (M9 & M11).
I tried some other USB-C cables which works fine with other dap ..but not with M17
I have never seen such issue, I will try to contact support@fiio.com and hoping they can fix something.

Am I the only one not to be able to use the M17 as a DAC with android 11 smartphones or windows 10/11 PC ?

Don't worry, we will contact you in short time.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #1,293 of 5,703
Trying to get some clarification here: I’ve been reading a few posts about how using the M17 off the DC 12v power supply gives an improvement in sound quality. Can anyone here specify if that’s true for all uses, or just for over-ear headphone mode or on high gain? Thanks.
Yes it does improve SQ significantly but you'll notice it in Enhanced over ear mode (max gain, where you get the full output power), better control bass wise, better dynamic range and extension both ways, also bigger stage :) This is clearly beneficial even for IEMs especially flagship stuff that scales...

Portable machine-Feiao official website 2021-12-09 10-57-22.png

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #1,294 of 5,703

It worked with my Note9. Maybe you tried the wrong USB-C port? You should use the port under the SD card slot.

20211209_104633.jpg

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #1,295 of 5,703
Some other points :

1) UAPP is working in hires mode DSD too,

2) using an External DAC mode is working fine with DSD format 768khz and DSD512 (via some upsampling of Neutron player)

3) Fiio Audio Pure mode can access to my Upnp server (LAN or WAN) and working fine without any drops and cuts (unlike the A&K Kann Alpha which can be mostly unusable)

4) The M17 can't be a DLNA receiver for my smartphone in pure audio mode, but works fine with bubbleupnp, neutron and mconnect (So the smartphone can become a good remote control with hires/dsd music, better than using BT LDAC )

5) The stock 12V/3A charger (when activating DC input of M17) really impacts the sound quite significantly more than what I expected, I am still waiting the ifi 12V/4A charger to analyze more deeply SQ with another charger.

.. it's really pity I have some issue with USB-C connection, as I can't use allow Wavelet to correct my IE900 or HEDDphone One EQ...

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,296 of 5,703
4) The M17 can't be a DLNA receiver for my smartphone in pure audio mode, but works fine with bubbleupnp, neutron and mconnect (So the smartphone can become a good remote control with hires/dsd music, better than using BT LDAC )
There is also the FiiO link mode with which you can remote control the FiiO application on the DAP.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,297 of 5,703
There is also the FiiO link mode with which you can remote control the FiiO application on the DAP.

Thanks for the video didn't manage to make it work with the iOS app... didn't detect the player.... I have watched it looks like I am doing it right except it doesn't detect

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #1,298 of 5,703
It worked with my Note9. Maybe you tried the wrong USB-C port? You should use the port under the SD card slot.

20211209_104633.jpg

Thank you .. and yes, you are right ....
I was thinking one USB-C port with data in/out and the port for USB-B charging .. and now I could see that M17 is one port OTG (which I used with SSD/SD Reader) and one port as charging and DAC/File transfer ....
Which is a quite bad news !!!! As I can't use the M17 as DAC for my smartphone or PC and still using a power bank or a small external USB-C charger !!!! because the USB-C Host side can't be used for charging the M17.

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,299 of 5,703
Thank you .. and yes, you are right ....
I was thinking one USB-C port with data in/out and the port for USB-B charging .. and now I could see that M17 is one port OTG (which I used with SSD/SD Reader) and one port as charging and DAC/File transfer ....
Which is a quite bad news !!!! As I can't use the M17 as DAC for my smartphone or PC and still using a power bank or a small external USB-C charger !!!! because the USB-C Host side can't be used for charging the M17.
You can still charge from the DC input.

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,300 of 5,703

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-09_112320.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-09_112320.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,301 of 5,703
Thanks for the video didn't manage to make it work with the iOS app... didn't detect the player.... I have watched it looks like I am doing it right except it doesn't detect
Unfortunately I don't have an iOS device. Maybe @FiiO can say something about it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,302 of 5,703
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 9, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #1,303 of 5,703
You can still charge from the DC input.

I only use USB-C power banks with don't provide 12V/3A output. I tried with an usb-c to 5.5mm adapter, but it is going directly to 19V/0A which doesn't work with M17. I sill can try to use a power bank Zendure X5 USB hub, I will see.
At least, as the USB-C OTG is separated I can use my 4T SSD usb-c power bank, which is already very comfortable.

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,304 of 5,703
I only use USB-C power banks with don't provide 12V/3A output. I tried with an usb-c to 5.5mm adapter, but it is going directly to 19V/0A which doesn't work with M17. I sill can try to use a power bank Zendure X5 USB hub, I will see.
At least, as the USB-C OTG is separated I can use my 4T SSD usb-c power bank, which is already very comfortable.
M17support Power Delivery as well up to PD 3.0 and here are the specs... I tested a PD charger and it works for charging but it doesn't activate Enhanced over ear mode

1639053377026.png

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,305 of 5,703
How did you get UAPP to play DSD untouched?
Mine resamples
When I downloaded this morning UAPP I got a message that new version v 6.0.3.2 was installed.
Then, it told me when I launched UAPP that it was going to use the Internal DAC Hires that was detected when I don't use an external USB DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back