[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,201 of 5,706
I just got my M17 on Friday and been listening to it with my IER-Z1R and so far it's a pretty good combo. I have not done a direct comparison with the DMP-Z1 yet, but as far as I can recalled, I am leaning towards the DMP more with the IER-Z1R if I had to choose one over another but I am happy with the M17.
Does it have the horsepower to drive the HD800S?

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,202 of 5,706
Thanks for the heads up!
it was Amazon Prime and i made sure about the return policy before i purchased.
But like i mentioned, I don’t think the M17 is going anywhere :)
+1, bought M17 on amazon too thinking to try and return it if i dont like it but will keep it too :).

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,203 of 5,706
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,204 of 5,706
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,205 of 5,706
Excuse me for asking again: any comparisons with Hugo 2, especially in terms of technical performance?
I dont have my Hugo 2 and 2Go anymore since I got the DMP so i cannot give a direct comparison, but I did prefer the DMP over the Hugo2/2Go combo and I think I like the M17 over the Hugo2/2Go combo also. I know it does really answer your question but hope it does help a little.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,206 of 5,706
I dont have my Hugo 2 and 2Go anymore since I got the DMP so i cannot give a direct comparison, but I did prefer the DMP over the Hugo2/2Go combo and I think I like the M17 over the Hugo2/2Go combo also. I know it does really answer your question but hope it does help a little.
Thanks, yes good to know. Probably I'll be getting an M17 in later in the this week. The curiosity to hear how it pairs with reasonably demanding headphones is too strong to resist...

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,207 of 5,706
I just got my M17 on Friday and been listening to it with my IER-Z1R and so far it's a pretty good combo. I have not done a direct comparison with the DMP-Z1 yet, but as far as I can recalled, I am leaning towards the DMP more with the IER-Z1R if I had to choose one over another but I am happy with the M17.

Yeah well that might be an unfair comparison given the pricing of DMP-Z1 :wink:

I found Hugo 2 too bright and sharp, and I have had a big A/B session with DX220 Max and Hugo 2 : very very close... M17 is a very different tuning full sounding, more powerful bass and smooth treble...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,208 of 5,706
M
I have demoed the Hugo 2 extensively when I started my quest. The Dac is excellent much better than my M15. My M17 blows the Hugo 2 away as a headphone amp though. Kind the best of both worlds really. Very solid dac performance and excellent amp performance all in one tidy package.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,209 of 5,706
M

I have demoed the Hugo 2 extensively when I started my quest. The Dac is excellent much better than my M15. My M17 blows the Hugo 2 away as a headphone amp though. Kind the best of both worlds really. Very solid dac performance and excellent amp performance all in one tidy package.

Exactly!
The amp section is amazing really...

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,210 of 5,706

I found Hugo 2 too bright and sharp, and I have had a big A/B session with DX220 Max and Hugo 2 : very very close... M17 is a very different tuning full sounding, more powerful bass and smooth treble...

M

Thanks, good to hear on both accounts. I fully expect the M17 to have a much warmer presentation than Hugo 2 but what interests me especially is whether the M17 is on the level of Hugo2 in terms of imaging, separation, and detail retrieval. I would still place the Hugo 2 as top tier of the transportable units in this respect (amp performance indeed another issue).

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,211 of 5,706
Does it have the horsepower to drive the HD800S?
It can drive my Senn’s HD820 with ease so, it will drive the HD800S without any problems (same impedance)

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,212 of 5,706

yeah but I'd be happy if it did "beat" the DMP :). I bought the DMP for its sound and "uniqueness" hahahahahaha

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,213 of 5,706
yeah but I'd be happy if it did "beat" the DMP :). I bought the DMP for its sound and "uniqueness" hahahahahaha
He has a DMP, he has a DMP!!! OMG, OMG, OMG!!! That is crazy!!! Wow, wow wow!!! OMG!!! No, nothing beats DMP. It is the super, duper, the ultimate, the best, in the world!!! In the universe!!! OMG!!!

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,214 of 5,706
He has a DMP, he has a DMP!!! OMG, OMG, OMG!!! That is crazy!!! Wow, wow wow!!! OMG!!! No, nothing beats DMP. It is the super, duper, the ultimate, the best, in the world!!! In the universe!!! OMG!!!
huh? i dont know what was this all about :wink: but i was only trying to say that I'd be ecstatic if the M17 destroys the DMP in term of sound quality having own both. Other than that, I am not saying the DMP is the best of anything...

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,215 of 5,706
I am pondering whether to switch off from this thread.
Here is the thing, the noise the M17 makes is a fact. Wian from Fiio has admitted it down to the 20 - ish secons I said it takes the Amps to power off when idling .
Sadly, it is part of the M17 circuitry and, all units are affected (sorry, no special units out there).
Now, and with all due respect, I can’t in all honesty take the opinions of anyone who can’t hear what is a subtle but obvious circuit initialisation/offline noise, (be that because of your hearing or the Headphones/IEM’s you are using) with any degree of seriousness. If you can’t hear The M17 Amps circuits coming on and off, I can’t trust you to hear any other sound subtleties. No offence intended, just stating what some of you here are willingly admitting.

38E97480-7380-47B4-B8E9-22B549A752F8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back