[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Aug 8, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #4,323 of 5,690
How K9 Pro ESS compare to CMA 15 in terms of SQ?
Closer than the price difference would suggest.
The CMA 15 is slightly more organic and musical and a touch more refined.
Well that's it.
The K9 PRO is a bargain while the 15 is the high end where you pay a lot more for marginal improvements.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,324 of 5,690
Well this is odd - with the firmware update, I now get a warning that the temp is too high and to stop charging. Here's the thing, I am using line out so bypassing the amp stage and I have charging disabled because I'm using DC power. Anyone else see this?
Same here. Stop charging warning appear for first time since firmware update. M17 doesn't feel hot if you touch it.
Wondering why this warning appear…

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #4,325 of 5,690
Same here. Stop charging warning appear for first time since firmware update. M17 doesn't feel hot if you touch it.
Wondering why this warning appear…
Dear friend,

The stop charging warning will appear when the M17 temperature reach a certain value. We will report your feedback the engineer as well. Thanks!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #4,326 of 5,690
New player FW update 3.1.3 :)

Attachments

• 20220809_130941.jpg
    20220809_130941.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #4,327 of 5,690
Aug 10, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,328 of 5,690
For a couple of days ago I recited a SOtM SMS-200 for enabling Roon with my M17 in USB Dac-mode.

I only have an ordinary computer USB-cable and then I’m comparing the sound from say the official Qobuz app versus the sound from Roon (and SMS-200) I find the later to lack a bit control and timing. It’s not so engaging as from the Qobuz.

I’ve ordered a better USB-cable from Audioquest and guessing that will help, but anyone else experienced the same?

(Sorry for my English)

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #4,329 of 5,690
For a couple of days ago I recited a SOtM SMS-200 for enabling Roon with my M17 in USB Dac-mode.

I only have an ordinary computer USB-cable and then I’m comparing the sound from say the official Qobuz app versus the sound from Roon (and SMS-200) I find the later to lack a bit control and timing. It’s not so engaging as from the Qobuz.

I’ve ordered a better USB-cable from Audioquest and guessing that will help, but anyone else experienced the same?

(Sorry for my English)
USB cables DON'T affect the sound, and any two bitexact same streams through the same device cannot sound different, meaning if there is no additional DSP in the chain for one of them. It is your money, you can do whatever you want but I wanted to mention.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #4,330 of 5,690
USB cables DON'T affect the sound, and any two bitexact same streams through the same device cannot sound different, meaning if there is no additional DSP in the chain for one of them. It is your money, you can do whatever you want but I wanted to mention.
My meaning wasn’t to start a discussion about cables, but instead; is it so that the transport section in M17 is SO good that even the SMS-200 can’t stand up against it? SMS-200 has so many good writings about it…

It’s wonderful, but the same time: FiiO should really work on a Roon fix.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #4,331 of 5,690
My meaning wasn’t to start a discussion about cables, but instead; is it so that the transport section in M17 is SO good that even the SMS-200 can’t stand up against it? SMS-200 has so many good writings about it…

It’s wonderful, but the same time: FiiO should really work on a Roon fix.
If the sound is not engaging after connecting to SMS-200 and Roon, won't that make either SMS-200 or Room, or both the problem and not the USB cable?

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #4,332 of 5,690
If the sound is not engaging after connecting to SMS-200 and Roon, won't that make either SMS-200 or Room, or both the problem and not the USB cable?
Absolutely. At the same time I believe and have heard differences between cables.

The fact that the transport in M17 is so closely connected and developed together with the dac and amp makes it powerful (in terms of sound quality).
To achieve the same with an external transport is harder and needs more tweaking (as in power handling and, for some of us, cables).

I’m want the same good sound with Roon as I hear with, say Qobuz. For that, I (today) need some sort of external transport, but maybe it just will cost me so much more than I’m willing to spend -maybe the SMS-200 can’t keep up. But I do think Roon can.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #4,334 of 5,690
I’m want the same good sound with Roon as I hear with, say Qobuz.
Are you talking about the sound with Qobuz on the M17 versus Roon on your computer?

By adding a USB cable from your computer, it'll carry noise through the ground, which is the most likely reason for what you're experiencing.

(A tip for using the forums: Ignore and don't reply to any zealotry.)

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #4,335 of 5,690
Are you talking about the sound with Qobuz on the M17 versus Roon on your computer?

By adding a USB cable from your computer, it'll carry noise through the ground, which is the most likely reason for what you're experiencing.

(A tip for using the forums: Ignore and don't reply to any zealotry.)
No, I’m comparing sound with Qobus on the M17 versus Roon through SOtM SMS-200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back