[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #2,596 of 5,692
Anyone got a chance to compare it with Shanling M8? I know one has new OS and is more of transportable but just in terms of musicality

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #2,598 of 5,692
Anyone got a chance to compare it with Shanling M8? I know one has new OS and is more of transportable but just in terms of musicality
I find M17 to be just as musical as M8, but it has a more forward midrange or rather less recessed than M8 which gives quite a bit of emphasis to bass and treble.
M17 shares the big, powerful bass with M8 only its mids are just as big and bold and its treble is more balanced. M8 has a tilt towards upper treble with safe lower treble energy. M17 is really overall more balanced in terms of FR balance but it's more powerful amp section gives it a power and naturalness that is tough to beat.

Since I have gotten M9 I can really appreciate what M17 does... M9 is special in its own right but M17 is up there with the best really...
If you can stomach the form factor, M17 is a good upgrade path from M8 actually. M9 is a very different tuning with less massive bass presence than M8, a lot more upper mids presence and more energy in the lower treble. M9 favors detail retrieval and bite, with beautiful overtones and even harmonics that beautify everything. M17 is more faithful in this respect and has fuller sounding midrange. It's more organic than M9. I would pegg M9 has a more musical and powerful SP2K of sorts...

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #2,599 of 5,692
I find M17 to be just as musical as M8, but it has a more forward midrange or rather less recessed than M8 which gives quite a bit of emphasis to bass and treble.
M17 shares the big, powerful bass with M8 only its mids are just as big and bold and its treble is more balanced. M8 has a tilt towards upper treble with safe lower treble energy. M17 is really overall more balanced in terms of FR balance but it's more powerful amp section gives it a power and naturalness that is tough to beat.

Since I have gotten M9 I can really appreciate what M17 does... M9 is special in its own right but M17 is up there with the best really...
If you can stomach the form factor, M17 is a good upgrade path from M8 actually. M9 is a very different tuning with less massive bass presence than M8, a lot more upper mids presence and more energy in the lower treble. M9 favors detail retrieval and bite, with beautiful overtones and even harmonics that beautify everything. M17 is more faithful in this respect and has fuller sounding midrange. It's more organic than M9. I would pegg M9 has a more musical and powerful SP2K of sorts...
Interesting. Will you keep both M9 and M17, or must one leave the building?

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #2,600 of 5,692
Interesting. Will you keep both M9 and M17, or must one leave the building?
I'll keep both, this being said M9 fate might be in question with N8ii we'll see...

M17 will not leave it's too unique a proposition and it can do stuff no other DAP can in terms of connectivity for starters.

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #2,601 of 5,692
I'll keep both, this being said M9 fate might be in question with N8ii we'll see...

M17 will not leave it's too unique a proposition and it can do stuff no other DAP can in terms of connectivity for starters.
N8ii is going to be interesting, for sure.

M17 continue to strike me as incredible value for money. I was just A/B'ing with my TT2 for s^*ts and giggles, and honestly, there's not a great deal in it.

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #2,602 of 5,692
N8ii is going to be interesting, for sure.
M17 continue to strike me as incredible value for money. I was just A/B'ing with my TT2 for s^*ts and giggles, and honestly, there's not a great deal in it.
It's insane value for money indeed.

On the flipside, N8ii might be priced well out of the reasonable range if rumors of 4.5K are true...

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #2,604 of 5,692

Wow well described and so good to know that mids has got good priority in M17
Thanks

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2,605 of 5,692
It's insane value for money indeed.

On the flipside, N8ii might be priced well out of the reasonable range if rumors of 4.5K are true...
That would be a ridiculous price, indeed. And if that is the US price, in the EU it would easily be €5K. It is just madness...

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #2,606 of 5,692

+1, Very well put👍

Eventhough resolution and tonailty is a wash; I think the M8 has slightly inferior dynamics overall. M17 in DC mode is no comparison. Everything gets dialed to 11.

Looking forward to listen to the M9 and N8ii. Hope to get one of these soon😁

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,607 of 5,692
I gotta say, using DC enhanced mode has really changed my impression of M17. Silly me neglected it, not thinking there would be that big of a difference with my IEM’s (I don’t use headphones) but I’ve been testing it today and have been completely wowed by the performance. The difference in dynamics and separation with my DD IEM’s is unbelievable.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2,610 of 5,692
Indeed.
M17 already makes M9 overpriced especially considering their software stability.
Yeah well switching over to android 10 and modern SoC helped... it works fine compared to M8 issues.
But yeah it's certainly priced high...

One big advantage is the onboard 256Gb, I didn't consider the fact it would make synchronizing streaming apps so fast (as fast as my iPhone in fact or close).
For streaming, buffering is also much smoother and faster over SD card.

And yes, Shanling has its own brand of sound that has some unique qualities... but sure M17 is the package to beat if you don't mind a bigger form factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back