[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #241 of 5,691
The Smyth Realiser A16 uses 2 driver headphones and via its Atmos DSP circuits can output 15.1.8 Atmos... (24 channels ) I'd like to see Apple Music get to that kind of level for 2 driver headphones.... its very much doable if they want it to have that capability... it creates a 3D space and each channel is easily heard and separated in the 3D space
It's interesting. It is some kind of "downmixing" of 15.1.8 independent sound streams to 2. It must be quite clever to preserve the 3D positioning etc.
Yes, it may be possible with some software DSP at some point. If it is "just software" then I guess it could run on Fiio M17 as well as long as CPU is good enough for that special downmixing algorithm to run in real time.
Of course some may say the classic stereo will still be better. I guess we will find out using our own ears in time....

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #242 of 5,691
It's interesting. It is some kind of "downmixing" of 15.1.8 independent sound streams to 2. It must be quite clever to preserve the 3D positioning etc.
Yes, it may be possible with some software DSP at some point. If it is "just software" then I guess it could run on Fiio M17 as well as long as CPU is good enough for that special downmixing algorithm to run in real time.
Of course some may say the classic stereo will still be better. I guess we will find our using our own ears in time....
After playing around with the new Apple spatial music they released yesterday I'd have to say that its like the days when AM radio went to FM stereo.... after you hear the spatial music and get used to it then its going to be hard to go back to stereo...
the music is more like you listening to a live performance than a canned studio take...

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #243 of 5,691
After playing around with the new Apple spatial music they released yesterday I'd have to say that its like the days when AM radio went to FM stereo.... after you hear the spatial music and get used to it then its going to be hard to go back to stereo...
the music is more like you listening to a live performance than a canned studio take...
Personally I disagree. For some reason when I gave it a shot, not only does it sound weird and just wrong, it starter giving me a panic attack. Dunno why. Personally I’ll be avoiding spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #244 of 5,691
Personally I disagree. For some reason when I gave it a shot, not only does it sound weird and just wrong, it starter giving me a panic attack. Dunno why. Personally I’ll be avoiding spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos.
It sounds wrong cause it's just simply artificial. It's not a proper soundstage. I only use Dolby Atmos for movies, since they are recorded and processed in such a way for the movie.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #245 of 5,691
It sounds wrong cause it's just simply artificial. It's not a proper soundstage. I only use Dolby Atmos for movies, since they are recorded and processed in such a way for the movie.
Ok... lots of people think of Dolby Atmos is only best for movies.... but lets take another example... lets say you got invited to a concert and you are the only one in the crowd... so there is no crowd noise.... and the concert just so happens to be the beatles performing the Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band in a concert hall.... the resulting sound is not going to be mono... its not going to be stereo... its going to be 3D surround because the sounds are coming from all directions due to where the band members are playing and how the sound is bouncing around the concert hall... from the floor, from the ceiling, from the walls..... That is what Dolby Atmos Music can replicate.... but if a recording studio decides to add in special effects using the Dolby Atmos then thats an artist right... some may do it better than others... actually there is no such thing as true stereo music... it all starts out as 3d surround... you are sitting in a 3d surround stage every single second of your life.....

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #246 of 5,691
Ok... lots of people think of Dolby Atmos is only best for movies.... but lets take another example... lets say you got invited to a concert and you are the only one in the crowd... so there is no crowd noise.... and the concert just so happens to be the beatles performing the Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band in a concert hall.... the resulting sound is not going to be mono... its not going to be stereo... its going to be 3D surround because the sounds are coming from all directions due to where the band members are playing and how the sound is bouncing around the concert hall... from the floor, from the ceiling, from the walls..... That is what Dolby Atmos Music can replicate.... but if a recording studio decides to add in special effects using the Dolby Atmos then thats an artist right... some may do it better than others... actually there is no such thing as true stereo music... it all starts out as 3d surround... you are sitting in a 3d surround stage every single second of your life.....
Alrighty? I know. Doesn't stop me from heavily hating it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #247 of 5,691
I lot of new things are hated, most people don't like change and humans are creatures of habit. There is nothing wrong with that behavior!

I listened to apples dolby Atmos yesterday and today and I can honestly say I enjoyed it thoroughly, I'm not sure how accurate or original the production is but I can honestly say its more engaging and creates layers which enable me to concentrate on different instruments at times, something that was hard for me to do on stereo.

I love it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #248 of 5,691
I lot of new things are hated, most people don't like change and humans are creatures of habit. There is nothing wrong with that behavior!

I listened to apples dolby Atmos yesterday and today and I can honestly say I enjoyed it thoroughly, I'm not sure how accurate or original the production is but I can honestly say its more engaging and creates layers which enable me to concentrate on different instruments at times, something that was hard for me to do on stereo.

I love it.
Atmos isn't new though. I've hated it since day one, even on a speaker setup. I don't know it triggers my paranoia really badly. So I prefer to never deal with it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #249 of 5,691
Atmos isn't new though. I've hated it since day one, even on a speaker setup. I don't know it triggers my paranoia really badly. So I prefer to never deal with it.

As long as you love what you hear it doesn’t really matter what others think right :)

Let’s just hope for newer better things for audio we can all enjoy. In the end all we want is to hear our favorite music as if we were there …

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #250 of 5,691
back to the M17 topic.... this past year ifi released the Diablo... its main strength is its balanced output power in a portable package.... I'd like to ask here of Fiio why are they specing the M17 at only 1.2 watts when with the Diablo spec'd out at 5 watts.... is the M17 going to be enough power at that price range... the chips are available... also will the M17 be a MQA decoder or a MQA renderer

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #252 of 5,691
I think FiiO should just call the M17 to be MQA17 , so that it catches the trendy MQA and indicate that it works with MQA unfolding. However, ES9038Pro isn’t a native MQA Chips
Not everybody loves MQA. It is a lossy format. If I were Fiio I wouldn't use questionable and closed/proprietary standard in the product name.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #253 of 5,691
Things we expect in the whole package,

1. Smudge free, Finger print free screen on the M17 like on the M15.

2. At least 1 tempered glass screen protector.

3. At least a clear plastic or leather case.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #254 of 5,691
That's why Dolby Atmos is so enjoyed, it induces a "fight or flight" response, which triggers the chemical responses that cause you to jump into overdrive, kind of like that feeling we get when we ride on a fast and quick change of direction roller coaster. And, it can tire us out just as quickly and make us feel "unhealthy":

Understanding the stress response

IDK, I kind of like Atmos in small doses, I don't think I'd prefer Atmos "all the time", not 100% of my playback. :)

Hey!, where's @FiiO / @WianFiiO / @JamesFiiO with that Fiio M17 release date already? :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #255 of 5,691
M17 Release date announcement please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back