[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,231 of 5,690
iBasso threads are full of toxic waste. They make people buy industrial grade SD cards and tell them it fixes the reading of the audio files, that is why they sound better. I am really happy that we don't have this here. Except when iBasso fanboys popping up for some "advertisement".

Anyway, back to FiiO.
Exactly.This is what I wrote today to some guys that claimed that “dx320 is better than m17” but clearly never listened to m17.. I happen to have both, to my ears I would still rate m17 above the dx320 in sound quality. This is to my personal ears and taste but I cannot accept people that judge without even listening to a product and there are plenty in the iBasso thread.

@RIGATIO finally one thing that we won’t agree to each other is M17 😂
I’ll put it above even in battery mode over DX312 all the times and on par with DX320.

But it also need to go through break-in period and synergy with your headphones/iems matters here.
I agree with you.Tbh I have both M17 and dx320 og firmware and stock amp. Both burned in 200hrs+. Even in battery mode I find M17 smoother, fuller sounding, sweeter and with bigger soundstage. This is with my iems and headphones and I’m not a fan boy of any brand. If anything, I mostly had iBasso products since the old dx90. I think M17 is pretty underrated here on headfi and most people did not even have a listen and make their judgment on Fiio reputation or on what they have read somewhere.
That’s not to say the dx320 sounds bad because it does not, it actually sounds amazing. And it’s more or less 3 times lighter than m17. I also think that the usage scenarios of the 2 daps it’s quite different by design (m17 is an at home dap, it’s big and heavy) and In fact I may keep them both. But this is just to say that before saying x sounds better than y,
maybe it would be better to have a listen.

You may not like the pairings or the sound signature of a product but judging without even listening and writing whatever just because I bought brand x which I’m a fan of and so it must better than brand y I think is just wrong. My 2 cents :)

I can’t stand fan boys…

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #4,232 of 5,690
Exactly.This is what I wrote today to some guys that claimed that “dx320 is better than m17” but clearly never listened to m17.. I happen to have both, to my ears I would still rate m17 above the dx320 in sound quality. This is to my personal ears and taste but I cannot accept people that judge without even listening to a product and there are plenty in the iBasso thread.

I agree with you.Tbh I have both M17 and dx320 og firmware and stock amp. Both burned in 200hrs+. Even in battery mode I find M17 smoother, fuller sounding, sweeter and with bigger soundstage. This is with my iems and headphones and I’m not a fan boy of any brand. If anything, I mostly had iBasso products since the old dx90. I think M17 is pretty underrated here on headfi and most people did not even have a listen and make their judgment on Fiio reputation or on what they have read somewhere.
That’s not to say the dx320 sounds bad because it does not, it actually sounds amazing. And it’s more or less 3 times lighter than m17. I also think that the usage scenarios of the 2 daps it’s quite different by design (m17 is an at home dap, it’s big and heavy) and In fact I may keep them both. But this is just to say that before saying x sounds better than y,

You may not like the pairings or the sound signature of a product but judging without even listening and writing whatever just because I bought brand x which I’m a fan of and so it must better than brand y I think is just wrong. My 2 cents :)

I can’t stand fan boys…
The problem is the horrible level of misinformation that is being sold as subjectivity. Which is bad, because it not only makes the consumers more vulnerable to marketing hypes, but also drives our small niche market in the wrong directions. Also it diverts the focus from real issues and use cases. Then there are those that benefit from the misinformation and ask for money based on these misinformations. I have seen some of the worst examples of these on iBasso forums and it is worrisome that people can get attached to these lies fanatically. No matter what you put on the table as proofs that these are lies, the harsher the reactions get, which are nearly a copy paste of one another.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #4,233 of 5,690
The problem is the horrible level of misinformation that is being sold as subjectivity. Which is bad, because it not only makes the consumers more vulnerable to marketing hypes, but also drives our small niche market in the wrong directions. Also it diverts the focus from real issues and use cases. Then there are those that benefit from the misinformation and ask for money based on these misinformations. I have seen some of the worst examples of these on iBasso forums and it is worrisome that people can get attached to these lies fanatically. No matter what you put on the table as proofs that these are lies, the harsher the reactions get, which are nearly a copy paste of one another.
Especially making consumers vulnerable as you wrote.

I respect everybody’s opinions, at the end this hobby is very subjective. What is sounding good to me can sound horrible for someone else. However what is unacceptable is 1- people first hyping a product like it’s the best ever thing then completely changing their minds. An example, in the iBasso thread first the stock amp was awesome than it suddenly became not good when amp13 was released. And so on and on until the next best thing. That’s weird. And the very same people are threated like gurus with golden ears but they really show they are just fan boys 2- People writing dap x (in this case m17) is an inferior product but clearly showing they never heard m17. This is clearly lying to consumers. A user even proclaimed the dx320 was better than m17 because..he never liked fiio.. that does not make any sense to me. I’m not a blind fan of iBasso neither of Fiio but if something is good it’s good. And the m17 is to my ears and for my personal taste and gear clearly above dx320.

Anyway rant off, let’s just enjoy whatever we like. This was just an heads up to potential buyers: do not blindly trust what other people write on the internet. Asks for opinion but be aware to super excited comments. The truth may just be in the middle. Let’s go back to m17 discussion :)

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #4,234 of 5,690

I can’t stand fan boys…

I concur with you guys.

I loaned dx220 from a friend. It runs on rock chip based processor which sometimes becomes horribly slow for unknown reasons. But people in those threads attack 'on whoever says it's slow' saying that this is a music player and it sounds best and advise people to go buy a mobile phone instead. It's unfortunate that the owner himself entertains these people. The same brand now releasing with more RAM and faster processor but why????

FiiO is the reason.....
FiiO is the who one changed this DAP market first with X5III, then with M11 and now with M17.

What were those brands doing before????
I agree FiiO was not known for best tuning a few years ago but it's changing now and it's only going to get better.

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #4,235 of 5,690
I concur with you guys.

I loaned dx220 from a friend. It runs on rock chip based processor which sometimes becomes horribly slow for unknown reasons. But people in those threads attack 'on whoever says it's slow' saying that this is a music player and it sounds best and advise people to go buy a mobile phone instead. It's unfortunate that the owner himself entertains these people. The same brand now releasing with more RAM and faster processor but why????

FiiO is the reason.....
FiiO is the who one changed this DAP market first with X5III, then with M11 and now with M17.

What were those brands doing before????
I agree FiiO was not known for best tuning a few years ago but it's changing now and it's only going to get better.
Exactly that. When I bought the m17 I expected a dry analytical signature with sharp treble. Also considering the use of ess chips and my past experience with the x7ii. I also did not expect I would keep it. Instead, to my surprise, I was met with quite a musical warmish neutral signature with one of the best timbre I ever got from a dap. It’s a fiio? Yes. Does it sound good? Yes. That’s all it matters but I judge just because I heard it, tested it for quite a bit of time and compared with other daps from other brands with my own ears.

So..new headfiers..trust your ears and don’t be fooled by brands or fan boys wars :)

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #4,236 of 5,690
Exactly that. When I bought the m17 I expected a dry analytical signature with sharp treble. Also considering the use of ess chips and my past experience with the x7ii. I also did not expect I would keep it. Instead, to my surprise, I was met with quite a musical warmish neutral signature with one of the best timbre I ever got from a dap. It’s a fiio? Yes. Does it sound good? Yes. That’s all it matters but I judge just because I heard it, tested it for quite a bit of time and compared with other daps from other brands with my own ears.

So..new headfiers..trust your ears and don’t be fooled by brands or fan boys wars :)
👍👍
They should be some powers knowing how a thing sounds without even listening to it 😂

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #4,237 of 5,690
👍👍
They should be some powers knowing how a thing sounds without even listening to it 😂
It seems so. Lucky them, they save money and time 😂

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,238 of 5,690
Especially making consumers vulnerable as you wrote.

I respect everybody’s opinions, at the end this hobby is very subjective. What is sounding good to me can sound horrible for someone else. However what is unacceptable is 1- people first hyping a product like it’s the best ever thing then completely changing their minds. An example, in the iBasso thread first the stock amp was awesome than it suddenly became not good when amp13 was released. And so on and on until the next best thing. That’s weird. And the very same people are threated like gurus with golden ears but they really show they are just fan boys 2- People writing dap x (in this case m17) is an inferior product but clearly showing they never heard m17. This is clearly lying to consumers. A user even proclaimed the dx320 was better than m17 because..he never liked fiio.. that does not make any sense to me. I’m not a blind fan of iBasso neither of Fiio but if something is good it’s good. And the m17 is to my ears and for my personal taste and gear clearly above dx320.

Anyway rant off, let’s just enjoy whatever we like. This was just an heads up to potential buyers: do not blindly trust what other people write on the internet. Asks for opinion but be aware to super excited comments. The truth may just be in the middle. Let’s go back to m17 discussion :)
And of course, when people complained about tubes being mounted badly and dozing away, or that the promotional pics had way different soldering/cable arrangement, it was swept under the rug. And the whole "two batteries" thing is a engineering snafu.
The m17 did it right. You get two ways to power it, either separated or together, and that's it. Isolating TWO batteries gets you twice the chances of a faulty battery. Not to mention, how MADDEDNING is when i tried it, and saw the "digital" battery fall faster than the analogue session, leaving to the inevitable event of a player who has a battery dead and another at 50%.
I was curious and the forum pushed me, fortunately i tried it before buying it. Same i will do with the M17, i hear wonders from many and the thread is level headed but still, till i can try i won't buy anything.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #4,241 of 5,690
Jul 3, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #4,242 of 5,690
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #4,243 of 5,690
i upgraded to firmware v1.04 lately. not sure it's related or not but i frequently run into an error that there's no microSD card inserted when i turned on my m17. restart it and it runs smoothly without problem. but still that's quite annoying. anyone else also encounter similar issues? thanks!
Dear ddlo,

If you are convenient, please contact support@fiio.com with a small video and the log files:

【Extract a LOG file】

You could find the 'fiio_log' folder from the internal storage of the player.

Please send it to us for analysis. And please inform us the time of the problem as well. Thanks in advanced!

And you may check via the factory restore to see whether the issue remains?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 4, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #4,244 of 5,690
I wondered whether anyone has compared the M17 to the Ifi micros idsd signature or diablo? I have the sig and use an Ifi Zen stream and I’m curious as to whether the M17 can beat it for sq as well as form factor (one piece of equipment rather than two)?

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #4,245 of 5,690
I also like the FiiO threads, as there is less fanboy attitude. The level of garbage being pushed on some threads are criminally misleading. It is not about what they hear etc. but the level of fabricated technical explanations. So toxic.
i know which forums you are talking about :p
but i agree with you all. it is so much more relaxed and enjoyable here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back