[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #4,171 of 5,692
I'm in the market for a 1tb card. One fast enough to be able to load album art as I'm scrolling the the tunes as opposed to waiting for it to loan. Any suggestions?
I'm deferential to SanDisk microSD cards - if you want the "best of the best", get the "Extreme Pro" (link), but it is almost certainly overkill, since it is designed for recording 4K video - way beyond any audio source. Also, it's pricey, but hey - it's a top-line microSD card. They also make less expensive "Extreme" and "Ultra" versions that will probably be just fine for any audio files, including album art.

One other thing - the market is full of cheap fakes, so be careful. I avoid that by just buying direct from the company's website. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #4,173 of 5,692
I'm deferential to SanDisk microSD cards - if you want the "best of the best", get the "Extreme Pro" (link), but it is almost certainly overkill, since it is designed for recording 4K video - way beyond any audio source. Also, it's pricey, but hey - it's a top-line microSD card. They also make less expensive "Extreme" and "Ultra" versions that will probably be just fine for any audio files, including album art.

One other thing - the market is full of cheap fakes, so be careful. I avoid that by just buying direct from the company's website. 🤷‍♂️

SanDisk microSD cards I have two of the 1tb a d no issues with them.

Thanks for these suggestions, folks! Would either of you think that perhaps something like UHS class 3 speeds be enough to offer what I'm looking at? Or more like V30/V60?

Right now it looks like I'm using UHS-1 card and it's not reading as fast as I'd like.

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #4,174 of 5,692
Thanks for these suggestions, folks! Would either of you think that perhaps something like UHS class 3 speeds be enough to offer what I'm looking at? Or more like V30/V60?

Right now it looks like I'm using UHS-1 card and it's not reading as fast as I'd like.
Any extreme or ultra SanDisk will do don't over think it :)

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #4,175 of 5,692
@FiiO Hello is there any plan to implement Roon endpoint capability and also Tidal connect? I want to use the M17 as a transport / streamer and control it over wifi when connected to an external DAC. I am using it as a streamer sometimes but there is no way to control changing tracks, play pause etc. remotely streaming Tidal
Dear cat3600,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We will report to the engineer for assessing first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 23, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #4,178 of 5,692
Has anyone used the m17 as a pure streamer with an external DAC ( in my case Holo Spring3 KTE)? Interested in the SQ of the USB output.
Thanks
Yes with a couple of them.
Crystal clear and transparent it passes the digital data to your DAC with excellent precision.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #4,179 of 5,692
Has anyone used the m17 as a pure streamer with an external DAC ( in my case Holo Spring3 KTE)? Interested in the SQ of the USB output.
Thanks
I use at home the M17 as a pure streamer attached to a SMSL SU-9 DAC with a Monolith THX887 amp (I only use SD or SSD drives in trains or planes, that's all, never at home) ... I have same sound quality between the USB-C cable and the Cinch spdif cable... both are 100% blank (hiss free even at full power something like 2x8W)).
I am not sure I can get any sound impacts from the external DAC,but , probbaly due to the external THX amp, I catch some perceptible more power available for my HEDDphone one (not with the DCA Stealth), maybe it offers some faster impacts with the external DAC+AMP, than with the M17 alone (even set in enhanced audio mode with ifi Ipower Elite DC 12V/4A).
I have rather good USB-C and Spdif cables .. but, usually, I am almost not sensitive to any cable impacts on sound quality from any cables (Power, USB, Spdif, Network Headphone/IEM)... I would think, either a cable is adapted to the chain or it's not at all.
Basically, I can't accept any hiss as background nor in high mid/high frequencies when music is playing (nor distortion).
I am not really a fan of Harman Target signature for low frequencies, as for me, it leads to a bit too muddy sound quality between 20 hz to 300hz => So I have to do some EQ adjustments to find a curve in between flat response and Harman Target (I do this with Poweramp EQ, Wavelet on M17 (as standalone) or with Neutron or UAPP when I need to apply EQ before sending the music to an external DAC but no more as a bitperfect signal of course).

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #4,180 of 5,692
@FiiO i am experiencing the exact same issue. Please let me know if you need more info. Kindly asking if anyone would be willing to test to see if they are having the same issue (see below)...Thank you in advance.

***If I had to guess it has something to due with the battery being limited to a number lower than 100% for charge level. Very much like Klabauters, I limited the maximum charge to 80% full and to stop charging once that 80% is hit. I am wondering if the lights are staying on because the battery is not full even though that is intentional.****

See below for recap of the issue:

Just a reminder as reported by:

Klabauters

This is what the problem is:

DC-Cable Connected.

Volume knob indicator light:
  • Brightness: User defined, 55%
  • Working: Constantly On
  • Charging: Constandly On (can also be set to Off - this setting has no impact on the Volume knob light after the shut down).

After shutting down, the device seams to fully shutdown, as I know it from before (also the Volume knob indicator light is switched off for about 1 second), then the FiiO Icon is shown again on the screen and the volume knob indicator light is illuminated in red with full brightness (as it does, during booting the device), then the screen turns black, the volume Knob indicator knob is turned on, in blue color (my regular dim setting + color); for a second or so the battery symbol is shown in the secreen, then the screen turns to black and the volume indicator light remains permanent on, unless you unplug the DC Cable ...
Have exactly the same: light stays on after shutdown...

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #4,181 of 5,692
I've been listening to M17 often and long lately, dont know what happened but it started to be so musical, moving my body constantly. Mostly I am on heavy metal/progressive aka Machine Head, Pantera, Tool... guitars are so natural, bass guitar has weight to note, drums impactfull but everything in musical way with all technicalities.. vocal perfectly clear and in a front. I believe 500h+ required for this one to open up fully. This one needs time guys..

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #4,182 of 5,692
Dear friend,

For the parametric EQ, we are already developing it, we will release it after we have done it.

And for the Viper4Androi on X7, we have launched a note before (https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/162105.html) :
Since the agreement of cooperation between FiiO and ViPER's Audio has expired, so we're afraid that the new version of FiiO Music will no longer have the embedded ViPER Effect plugin. However, we've been working hard on the dynamic EQ and will try our best to develop more audio effects.
If you have purchased the ViPER Effects and would like to continue using it, you may download the apk file of the old version, copy it to the player, and then install it through ES File Explorer (this will overwrite the new version).
Download link for the FiiO Music old version (apk): http://fiio-file.fiio.net/FiiO Music3.4.3.apk

Best regards,

Hello again. This response was very heartening when you replied to my question a little over a year ago. Hoping you could take a moment to give an update on the parametric eq's progress. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #4,183 of 5,692
I've been listening to M17 often and long lately, dont know what happened but it started to be so musical, moving my body constantly. Mostly I am on heavy metal/progressive aka Machine Head, Pantera, Tool... guitars are so natural, bass guitar has weight to note, drums impactfull but everything in musical way with all technicalities.. vocal perfectly clear and in a front. I believe 500h+ required for this one to open up fully. This one needs time guys..
ahahahah do you really believe that?? lol

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #4,184 of 5,692
Better pot? Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back