FiiO M15S Pocket Desktop-Level Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #616 of 945
Hey guys I’m searching for an Dac/Amp or Dap to drive drive my HEKV3.
I have read different reviews and I’m more confused then before.. I’m debating on getting the Gryphon, the H7, the Q7 or a Dap like the M15S or the HiBy RS6.
My use case is listening to music (Apple Music, Spotify), watching movies on Apple TV via Bluetooth and to play some games on my PS5 and Computer.
My budget is quite flexible, my goal is to calm the treble, and to improve the sound quality of my headphone (currently using Ifi Go Bar)

Do you have any recommendations?
Maybe wait for the AK Kann Ultra, should be out for sales in one week. Will be probably one of the most powerful daps on the market + AK house sound (which i personally love).
The IBasso dx320 Max Ti is also a great option but way more expensive.

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #618 of 945
What about the SE300? Did you had a chance to try this Dap? You mentioned that you don’t recommend daps for open back planars?
Ive tried the se300 and its amazing but the sp1000 is still better- more refined and smoother, with slightly better layering.
I dont recommend daps but mostly because of power limits. The Kann Ultra seems like a powerhouse tho, maybe worth trying.

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #619 of 945
Ive tried the se300 and its amazing but the sp1000 is still better- more refined and smoother, with slightly better layering.
I dont recommend daps but mostly because of power limits. The Kann Ultra seems like a powerhouse tho, maybe worth trying.
that’s the problem nowadays, focus on too much power (I understand if you want big headphones) but for IEM’s you need different focus. For my big Hifiman can’s I have a Burson gt. A dap to me is more A high end IEM source

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #620 of 945
What about the SE300? Did you had a chance to try this Dap? You mentioned that you don’t recommend daps for open back planars?
I agree on that regard, I thought it could work, until I heared how much a desktop amp matters. The moment I heared a powerfull desktop amp with open back planars, I understood what they mean with a big sound stage.

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #621 of 945
In terms of power, which DAP would be the most capable of playing the most demanding headphones? In terms of numbers, the m15s would be the most capable... If anyone can make a comparison between these two, would it be worth upgrading from the m15s to the Shanling M9 plus?

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #624 of 945
In terms of power, which DAP would be the most capable of playing the most demanding headphones? In terms of numbers, the m15s would be the most capable... If anyone can make a comparison between these two, would it be worth upgrading from the m15s to the Shanling M9 plus?
If you want the most powerful DAP, get the FiiO M17.
I'm sorry, I expressed myself poorly because of the Google translation, I really wanted to know about the power of the fiio m15s vs shanling M9, if anyone could comment on the sound I would also be grateful. In terms of values, they are very different, but what does it look like in terms of the evolution of the sound?

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #625 of 945
I ended up returning the M15S, I won’t say it is bad sounding, but not as good as the reviewers make it look like, in my opinion.

They say it is better than the former models… well either that means the other models are just bad or I am too picky.

The 3d stage they are talking about, I think is mediocre at best. The bass is decent but in some genres are too coloured, too much bass. And missing some of the sparkle in the treble (which causes the missing 3d stage)

Yes I have to admit it is very quiet, no noise not even with the se846, so that’s good I guess.

Maybe I just don’t like ESS Sabre.
It just didn’t give me that ‘oh wow’ it sounds amazing feeling.

Do Astell, Hiby, or Shanling sound better?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #626 of 945
I ended up returning the M15S, I won’t say it is bad sounding, but not as good as the reviewers make it look like, in my opinion.

They say it is better than the former models… well either that means the other models are just bad or I am too picky.

The 3d stage they are talking about, I think is mediocre at best. And the Bass in some genres are too coloured, too much bass. And Missing some of the sparkle in the treble (which causes the missing 3d stage)

Yes I have to admit it is very quiet, no noise not even with the se846

Or I just don’t like ESS Sabre? It just give me that ‘oh wow’ it sounds amazing feeling.
I dont think you will hear much of a difference between m15s and a desktop rig in the same price. I tried some smsl, toppings and Fiio k9 Pro and they didnt sound any better than the M15s when driving iems or power efficient headphones.
They were only better with open back planars, so no, the m15s isnt bad, is actually very very good. Its better than the Gryphon sound wise for example, and is on a very similar level as the Mojo 2. Its also very powerful, has desktop mode and its a dap, so no need for making a sandwich.
Why would people still complain about daps not having enough power to drive a typical desktop, havy, big and open back planars? You dont take them outside.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #627 of 945
I dont think you will hear much of a difference between m15s and a desktop rig in the same price. I tried some smsl, toppings and Fiio k9 Pro and they didnt sound any better than the M15s when driving iems or power efficient headphones.
They were only better with open back planars, so no, the m15s isnt bad, is actually very very good. Its better than the Gryphon sound wise for example, and is on a very similar level as the Mojo 2. Its also very powerful, has desktop mode and its a dap, so no need for making a sandwich.
Why would people still complain about daps not having enough power to drive a typical desktop, havy, big and open back planars? You dont take them outside.
On some degree I agree, better than the xdsd gryphon, but not on the level of stage. Everytime I switched I was enjoying the quiet amp but where was the stage? Air around instruments

I own the mojo2, and no it is definately not on level of that one.

I am looking for a dap than goes beyond my portable dacs, because I want a decent source for my various IEM’s. Because I hate carrying several devices, a android, iphone and dac.

For power I already have my desktop amps/dacs.
(I did not like the fiio k9 pro at all to be honest)

For me it definately is not power related, what I am looking for. I have burson soloist 3xgt and a violectric 590v2 and a chord qutest for my open back planars.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #628 of 945
On some degree I agree, better than the xdsd gryphon, but not on the level of stage. Everytime I switched I was enjoying the quiet amp but where was the stage? Air around instruments

I own the mojo2, and no it is definately not on level of that one.

I am looking for a dap than goes beyond my portable dacs, because I want a decent source for my various IEM’s. Because I hate carrying several devices, a android, iphone and dac.

For power I already have my desktop amps/dacs.
(I did not like the fiio k9 pro at all to be honest)

For me it definately is not power related, what I am looking for. I have burson soloist 3xgt and a violectric 590v2 and a chord qutest for my open back planars.
You need some TOTL dap then. Search for one on used market. AK sp1000/2000, Ibasso dx320 with amp14, Cayin n8ii, Shanling M9+ etc. They will be a step up from desktop rigs in a price range 1000-3000 bucks. Well at least in sound quality, not in power.

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #629 of 945
You need some TOTL dap then. Search for one on used market. AK sp1000/2000, Ibasso dx320 with amp14, Cayin n8ii, Shanling M9+ etc. They will be a step up from desktop rigs in a price range 1000-3000 bucks. Well at least in sound quality, not in power.
Will have a look for those one's than. thanks for the advice

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #630 of 945
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back